Jump to content
lazydaze

Green Flag

Recommended Posts

Hi, Trying to leave Merley Court park today after a very nice 10 night stay, for no apparent reason the battery just died, it was perfectly okay 5 minutes previous, 

put the multi meter on it read 11. 9 volts  therefore not enough  to turn the engine over  wasn't to keen to jump start in case it was another fault other than the battery.

Phoned Green Flag  who said 1 hours wait but was pleased when they arrived 40 minutes later, the operative was a young lad about 19 who informed me  he was new at this,

it was  contractor not a Green Flag vehicle. I explained that I was reluctant to jump start the car without checking for other faults first that why I have called Green Flag  I assumed he would produce a testing unit and plug it into the cars electrical system, he said no mate this will be fine and connected the portable battery pack and hey presto the car started which was what I expected. However I  ask if  he could check the  battery in case of a dead cell on any other explanation why the battery died for no known reason.

He replied sorry  mate I only have the portable charger we have to buy our own equipment and that all I have just now, I then said if it had been something other than the battery 

what would you have done, this was a question he could not answer he was solely reliant on this one piece of equipment, what a complete and utter shambles .

The main reason I purchased Green Flag Premium  was the breakdown recovery  for both car and caravan which gives peace of mind and is good value, but in future I will get the AA out to any breakdown ( free with the bank )  let them find the fault with there very extensive array of equipment then get Green Flag to take us home if need be .

Perhaps when you call Green Flag it is somewhat of a lottery due to them outsourcing to contractors in the local area you might get a good one or not, Today I got an operative which was not up to standard and ill equipped, we got home okay  after 150 miles but now i will have to have the battery checked independently.

Rant over :wub: 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my battery went while on a field in Norfolk the greenflag man had more tools and fancy gadgets than Halfords, plus a selection of batteries just in case and a gadget so he could change the battery without loosing the radio codes etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, lazydaze said:

Hi, Trying to leave Merley Court park today after a very nice 10 night stay, for no apparent reason the battery just died, it was perfectly okay 5 minutes previous, 

put the multi meter on it read 11. 9 volts  therefore not enough  to turn the engine over  wasn't to keen to jump start in case it was another fault other than the battery.

Phoned Green Flag  who said 1 hours wait but was pleased when they arrived 40 minutes later, the operative was a young lad about 19 who informed me  he was new at this,

it was  contractor not a Green Flag vehicle. I explained that I was reluctant to jump start the car without checking for other faults first that why I have called Green Flag  I assumed he would produce a testing unit and plug it into the cars electrical system, he said no mate this will be fine and connected the portable battery pack and hey presto the car started which was what I expected. However I  ask if  he could check the  battery in case of a dead cell on any other explanation why the battery died for no known reason.

He replied sorry  mate I only have the portable charger we have to buy our own equipment and that all I have just now, I then said if it had been something other than the battery 

what would you have done, this was a question he could not answer he was solely reliant on this one piece of equipment, what a complete and utter shambles .

The main reason I purchased Green Flag Premium  was the breakdown recovery  for both car and caravan which gives peace of mind and is good value, but in future I will get the AA out to any breakdown ( free with the bank )  let them find the fault with there very extensive array of equipment then get Green Flag to take us home if need be .

Perhaps when you call Green Flag it is somewhat of a lottery due to them outsourcing to contractors in the local area you might get a good one or not, Today I got an operative which was not up to standard and ill equipped, we got home okay  after 150 miles but now i will have to have the battery checked independently.

Rant over :wub: 

.

 

It's bound to be a lottery as they use contractors - but the ones they've used when I needed them were very good - AA/RAC provided by car warranty had me waiting half a day in one case and next day in the other, maybe that's a lottery as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was with Green Flag for a couple of years.  Only called them out once, when my wife's car had a flat battery one day.  We had to wait three hours for them to come, which on that occasion wasn't a massive problem as it was at home.  It was a contractor who came, very competent and well equipped, started the car and tested the battery.  However, when chatting to him he told me they had the contract for our county, but were based at the opposite end of the county from us, which was the main reason for taking so long to get to us.  Seemed a bit silly when we're only a few miles from a big city which is in another county, and if Green Flag had sent someone from there they wouldn't have hd so far to travel.  That got me thinking what would happen if I had been stuck on a road on a dark wet night.  Of course, I wouldn't necessarily have been so far away, and could have broken down in another county next door to the contractor's base.  

 

I think Black Grouse is right, it's a bit of a lottery whichever way you look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im with green flag as they are  free with my bank and car insurance,, had to cal out 3 times in 10 yr,, first was faulty battery connection on my first car but i had no idea,, they said 1. 5 hrs and arrived in 45 min with a full towtruck and kit and i was on my way in mins, second was 1 hr from home in my sierra and my carb gave up so they said 30 min and were ontime [contractor arrived and was fab] and at my request towed me home as i could fix it but stuff was home and final tme was a dead battery as had forgot to reconect alt so wasnt charging they were out in 20 min and was on way soon after,,they do always ask mind am i towing anything and how big  etc if so 

20160606_154947.jpg

Edited by robbie244

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago when going to Cornwall for a 2 weeks holiday, my car broke down on the M5.   Called Green Flag and they arrived within 45 mins.   A faulty in-tank fuel pump was quickly diagnosed and I was given 3 options: be taken home on a low loader, be taken to a local caravan site and the car to a local garage or be given another car to complete my holiday with my car delivered to my home address after our holiday.   I chose the last option and we were taken to the nearest motorway services where a car was waiting for us.   We hooked the caravan on and went off to enjoy our holiday.   A day or so after we arrived home, our car was delivered and the borrowed one collected.   They even posted my camera back to me after I had left it under the driver's seat.   Very pleased with the service, but as always, it depends on the people involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my cam belt went while at the in-laws in Kirn Dunoon, Green Flag as in Mayday took us home and our car to the Peugeot garage Rotherham with just a lunch stop at Leyburn services, the AA would have done it in relays :(

 

Incidentally with Mayday if they take longer than an hour you can claim £10 compansation

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from one hiccup Green flag,again as Mayday,have been brilliant. However, I always class them as a Recovery operation and not a Repair service,unlike RAC or AA, so don't expect the tools to be comprehensive. Have had them change wheels and the like but never anything more technical. ..great for lost wheel syndrome on my caravan or blown engine on a Jeep,but nothing otherwise. ...Yes like PaulB had long range recovery from Scotland to GOC.

 

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Apart from one hiccup Green flag,again as Mayday,have been brilliant. However, I always class them as a Recovery operation and not a Repair service,unlike RAC or AA, so don't expect the tools to be comprehensive. Have had them change wheels and the like but never anything more technical. ..great for lost wheel syndrome on my caravan or blown engine on a Jeep,but nothing otherwise. ...Yes like PaulB had long range recovery from Scotland to GOC.

 

geoff

 

I've never needed roadside repair/assistance - if it was repairable I'd DIY - today's cars are so complex that few repairs can be done by the roadside - so like you, it's "just" a recovery service, especially with the double cover of Mayday which allows recovery to campsite and recovery home to be on different days, to suit the owner.

 

A hidden advantage of Mayday/Green Flag is that the double cover still applies if the vehicle is undriveable after an accident - an insurer will just recover the vehicle or provide a basic courtesy car. I've used that twice now, one was a 400 mile trip home from Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are with Mayday which is Green Flag and over the years have had to call them out on three different occasions, twice for the caravan and once for the car.    They do not carry a torque wrench so they just use brute strength to tighten the bolts on the alloy wheels on the caravan and car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paul_B said:

When my cam belt went while at the in-laws in Kirn Dunoon, Green Flag as in Mayday took us home and our car to the Peugeot garage Rotherham with just a lunch stop at Leyburn services, the AA would have done it in relays :(

 

Incidentally with Mayday if they take longer than an hour you can claim £10 compansation

a guy i know at a car show broke his differential and the aa took 10 hours and 3 trucks in relay to get him about 200-300 miles i believe,, i was amazed to hear this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve hit the nail on the head Lazydaze it is a lottery & green flag only use contractors, they don’t have any recovery vehicles or service vans or trained techs

The green liveried vehicles you used to see about were owned & run by the contractors & they were contracted to have them if they were predicted to attend x amount of call outs per year, 

 

if you want your vehicle repaired at the side of the road the AA or RAC is the way to go but that is still a lottery but with better odds

you could get a bad patrol or they could just send out the same contractor that GF use who has never had any diagnostic training & is only interested in towing you home because he will earn more, 

 

it doesn’t help the way GF agents have to tender for contracts, it’s all done on price per postcode & the lowest wins! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, towman said:

if you want your vehicle repaired at the side of the road the AA or RAC is the way to go but that is still a lottery but with better odds

 

Maybe true. Last time I called the AA they took 4  1/2hours to arrive. I'd rung them several times while I waited including to tell them I needed a flat bed recovery as the front suspension coil spring had broken and  had stitched itself through the tyre!! Thankfully I wasn't towing at the time, but I subsequently switched to Green Flag. Hope I never need them if that's par for the course!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TinShack said:

 

Maybe true. Last time I called the AA they took 4  1/2hours to arrive. I'd rung them several times while I waited including to tell them I needed a flat bed recovery as the front suspension coil spring had broken and  had stitched itself through the tyre!! Thankfully I wasn't towing at the time, but I subsequently switched to Green Flag. Hope I never need them if that's par for the course!

 

When my Hyundai Santa Fe immobilised itself, on the way to have a new immobiliser fitted under warranty I called Hyundai Recovery, sub-contracted to the RAC and was give a 4-6 ETA as they were busy - but that was just for patrol to confirm it needed a flatbed recovery (like most 4wds it can't be towed) which would mean further delay - so I called Mayday/Green Flag as I had both active and they were there within  45 mins, with a flatbed.

 

My son recently managed to break his tailgate window on a campsite - Skoda Assistance, contracted to AA relayed him from Gt Yarmouth to Mildenhall and then failed to arrange any onward relay.

 

If you're in the stressful situation that requires recovery, the last thing you want is a relay with hours spent in service areas waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the mixed replies it seems a certain lottery, note the point re the AA useless at getting you home with the relay service used them once some years ago car only plus me the, wife our three small children bunch up in the recovery  cab  they stopped  twice and change vehicles due to some braindead  restrictions when going into other counties, I vowed then never to use that service again, hence the Green Flag Mayday cover which gives a better service  on the relay but a mixed bag on the roadside repair.

I just hope I never have to bother them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lazydaze said:

From the mixed replies it seems a certain lottery, note the point re the AA useless at getting you home with the relay service used them once some years ago car only plus me the, wife our three small children bunch up in the recovery  cab  they stopped  twice and change vehicles due to some braindead  restrictions when going into other counties, I vowed then never to use that service again, hence the Green Flag Mayday cover which gives a better service  on the relay but a mixed bag on the roadside repair.

I just hope I never have to bother them again.

 

Due to tacho rules changing on recovery vehicles in 2006 a lot of recovery operators will use a relay type service even on Green Flag contracts,

its not financial viable to let your driver run out of hrs & have the truck parked up miles away not earning money 💰 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2018 at 08:10, Paul_B said:

When my cam belt went while at the in-laws in Kirn Dunoon, Green Flag as in Mayday took us home and our car to the Peugeot garage Rotherham with just a lunch stop at Leyburn services, the AA would have done it in relays :(

 

Incidentally with Mayday if they take longer than an hour you can claim £10 compansation

I notice you made a comment  ;  Mayday if they take longer than an hour you can claim £10 compansation 

Well I am also with mayday   and I assumed  I would  be able to claim £10 compensation  As I car was recovered  from Crew in Cheshire to Newcastle upon tyne  . It was arranged green flag would pick up my car  at tea time as they did but I was informed by the driver he would drop me off with my car at a motorway services half way into the journey to be taken the rest of the journey with another driver with a low loader, he said the next driver will only be 20 minutes  but after waiting  an hour decided to call  green flag  they said they would come as soon as possible they turned up 4 hours after the first driver dropped me off at the service area  I got home at approx 2. 30 am in the morning .  

 

When I called mayday asking for my £10 compensation , they said we do not give compensation, I said it is green flag policy if they take over an hour to come I am entitled to compensation . They said but you are with Mayday and it is not our policy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One bad experience I will never forget with RAC over 35 years ago made me swore never to use them again. been with Mayday since with just one call out the service was excellent took my caravan to storage my car to a designated garage and me and my missus home in one 6 hours trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2018 at 21:15, lazydaze said:

Hi, Trying to leave Merley Court park today after a very nice 10 night stay, for no apparent reason the battery just died, it was perfectly okay 5 minutes previous, 

put the multi meter on it read 11. 9 volts  therefore not enough  to turn the engine over  wasn't to keen to jump start in case it was another fault other than the battery.

Phoned Green Flag  who said 1 hours wait but was pleased when they arrived 40 minutes later, the operative was a young lad about 19 who informed me  he was new at this,

it was  contractor not a Green Flag vehicle. I explained that I was reluctant to jump start the car without checking for other faults first that why I have called Green Flag  I assumed he would produce a testing unit and plug it into the cars electrical system, he said no mate this will be fine and connected the portable battery pack and hey presto the car started which was what I expected. However I  ask if  he could check the  battery in case of a dead cell on any other explanation why the battery died for no known reason.

He replied sorry  mate I only have the portable charger we have to buy our own equipment and that all I have just now, I then said if it had been something other than the battery 

what would you have done, this was a question he could not answer he was solely reliant on this one piece of equipment, what a complete and utter shambles .

The main reason I purchased Green Flag Premium  was the breakdown recovery  for both car and caravan which gives peace of mind and is good value, but in future I will get the AA out to any breakdown ( free with the bank )  let them find the fault with there very extensive array of equipment then get Green Flag to take us home if need be .

Perhaps when you call Green Flag it is somewhat of a lottery due to them outsourcing to contractors in the local area you might get a good one or not, Today I got an operative which was not up to standard and ill equipped, we got home okay  after 150 miles but now i will have to have the battery checked independently.

Rant over :wub: 

.

18

Even the AA & the RAC will outsource work when busy. My son had to wait for 6 hours 2 weeks ago for an engineer and an independent contractor turned up and got him going.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:17, Durbanite said:

We are with Mayday which is Green Flag and over the years have had to call them out on three different occasions, twice for the caravan and once for the car.    They do not carry a torque wrench so they just use brute strength to tighten the bolts on the alloy wheels on the caravan and car.

That only the same I have done for years along with every tyre fitting centre I have used.

I now use a torque wrench on the caravan, but still don't on the car.

 

Also not sure why the op had a rant, surly a breakdown service is to get you going again or home, not repair a car and diagnose a problem in depth.   If a battery is flat a jump start would be the first thing I would do, in fact I didn't give it a second thought when I used my Aldi power station to start my neighbours old car some weeks ago.   I left the reason for why it was flat for him to work out.

Edited by xtrailman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2018 at 10:17, Durbanite said:

We are with Mayday which is Green Flag and over the years have had to call them out on three different occasions, twice for the caravan and once for the car.    They do not carry a torque wrench so they just use brute strength to tighten the bolts on the alloy wheels on the caravan and car.

 

I used Mayday again recently to change a caravan tyre.

 

The contractor sent out certainly had a torque wrench and they asked me for the torque setting from my handbook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xplore 402 said:

I notice you made a comment  ;  Mayday if they take longer than an hour you can claim £10 compansation 

Well I am also with mayday   and I assumed  I would  be able to claim £10 compensation  As I car was recovered  from Crew in Cheshire to Newcastle upon tyne  . It was arranged green flag would pick up my car  at tea time as they did but I was informed by the driver he would drop me off with my car at a motorway services half way into the journey to be taken the rest of the journey with another driver with a low loader, he said the next driver will only be 20 minutes  but after waiting  an hour decided to call  green flag  they said they would come as soon as possible they turned up 4 hours after the first driver dropped me off at the service area  I got home at approx 2. 30 am in the morning .  

 

When I called mayday asking for my £10 compensation , they said we do not give compensation, I said it is green flag policy if they take over an hour to come I am entitled to compensation . They said but you are with Mayday and it is not our policy .

 

When my cambelt went in Dunoon I phoned the helpline and they phoned the garage, the garage then phoned me and I explained to the garage the problem and where I wanted recovering to, I also explained that I was staying at the in-laws hotel and we didn't want recovering there and then as we were having a BBQ.

We arranged for the recovery for early the next morning when it was the start of the drivers shift and so he could do the full run ( he had to arrange for a driver to take over his truck on the return leg as he would runout of driving hours).  Small world too has we had been beach fishing earlier in the week and talking to another fisherman, he turned out to be the driver(I digress).

 

However with my local agent things were different, when the front spring broke a year or so later they took over an hour to arrive (about 3hr) and I phoned Mayday to see if there was a problem, I received a questionnaire and it said I could have the £10 if I wished as they were late, I chose to donate the money to one of their charities.

 

"Rapid response pledge. Green Flag

aims to reach you as soon as possible.

If we don’t reach you within an hour

you can claim £10."           https://mayday.greenflag.com/pdfs/PolicyTAndC-31102016.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green Flag is a breakdown insurance policy with four levels of cover.

 

Over the years I have had all four levels of cover and presently have Premier UK level.


Several years ago I had an interesting experience which I posted in a similar topic.

 

The only change in the T&Cs since that time seems to be that the first response time guarantee is now one hour.

 

Although I cannot find it in the T&Cs I believe that a lone female whose vehicle has broken down is likely to receive a shorter response time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years ago on a site in France a fella locked his car with the keys left inside, no idea how he did it. He was with green flag,anyway a tatty French van with a portly gentleman turned up,walked around the car,got out a hammer, smashed the window reached in and located the key gave it to the owner of the car he then turned around and drove off saying you might be able to get a replacement window in the nearest city. Now it might be that in the small print green flag or others do not cover you if you do lock your car with the keys left inside ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Griff said:

 

I used Mayday again recently to change a caravan tyre.

 

The contractor sent out certainly had a torque wrench and they asked me for the torque setting from my handbook.

At the time I did complain to the CC so maybe they had a word with Green Flag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×