Sign in to follow this  
ged600

Has snobbery crept back in to vanning?

has snobbery crept back into vanning, you ask.    I wonder what happened to you to make you ask the question.   Is it a case of inverted snobbery?  We have the best that we can afford, we could have bought something cheaper, does that make us snobs.   We also have pedigree dogs, bought from a breeder,  I don't mention this when I meet someone new as other folk with rescue dogs often tell me that their dogs are rescued.   I don't look down my nose because they have bought second hand dogs ;), as long as they love and appreciate  what they have and the same goes for caravans.    

Edited by joanie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, joanie said:

has snobbery crept back into vanning, you ask.    I wonder what happened to you to make you ask the question.   Is it a case of inverted snobbery?  We have the best that we can afford, we could have bought something cheaper, does that make us snobs.   We also have pedigree dogs, bought from a breeder,  I don't mention this when I meet someone new as other folk with rescue dogs often tell me that their dogs are rescued.   I don't look down my nose because they have bought second hand dogs ;), as long as they love and appreciate  what they have and the same goes for caravans.    

Hi joanie 

love the comment. I love my second hand ANYTHING! . . . . Is that a sort of snobbery I’m wondering? ,my dogs are rescued and the other half is second hand! Hahahah xxx

• Haha 1

I go fishing, believe me you get fishing snobs ( I've got the most expensive fishing tackle)  , many years ago I also played golf & you get snobs in golf  ( ive the most expensive clubs )  , I work as a builder  yep even tradesman are snobs ( my hammer cost £25 my hammer cost £4 from b&q because we lose so many)  , we have a newish shiney car & caravan but I admire someone who has a much older car/ caravan on site not someone who has a new shiney  new car/caravan  , the site we use in France most of the French have caravans that she held together by duck tape ( no joke ) ,I'll talk to anyone but some times I just want to be left alone,  sorry got to go love island is on, Pete 

Has the OP come back to this thread?

• Haha 1

We used to go for modest country walks. Other walkers with walking boots would only say hello when we were wearing walking boots.

• Confused 1

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:08, ged600 said:

. .. Most vanners are helpful and friendly but I find the ones with new cars and newish vans tend to ignore a greeting like "good morning" or "how's it going".

Anyone else experienced this?

I too have frequently found this, I have a theory . .. there are those who are buying into the popular 'trend' of caravanning because they can afford to do so, but they haven't 'done the rounds' starting at the bottom like the rest of us and have no idea of the etiquette associated with camping, it doesn't just stop with ignoring you, it carries through to other behaviours and inconsideration to others too.

Hi StuBob

Although I’m relatively new to caravanning ( 8 years or so)  I have tried to find out as much as I can about the world of caravanning.  

The matter of being a snob or not doesn’t really apply to bad behaviour or the lack of consideration.  

I have been on a few sites where a group of campers have not a care for others as long as they can do what they want.  

The rule that I apply is: “treat others the same way as you would like to be treated “.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gd485 said:

Hi StuBob

Although I’m relatively new to caravanning ( 8 years or so)  I have tried to find out as much as I can about the world of caravanning.  

The matter of being a snob or not doesn’t really apply to bad behaviour or the lack of consideration.  

I have been on a few sites where a group of campers have not a care for others as long as they can do what they want.  

The rule that I apply is: “treat others the same way as you would like to be treated “.

We too have only been caravanning a few years,I try to remember what I should be doing and it doesn’t always work😱 but I think all behaviours cut across all skill levels its not confined to me being useless or new to it. . . . .  And yes we have a  relatively new van because I don’t want the quirks associated with older ones.  Being a bit green initially I wanted to run back to the dealer (some blinking chance in hindsight ) and get them to sort it 

On Sandringham at the moment and noyone has refused a hello or Good Morning so far.

Mind you, there are new warden signs everywhere. 

Beware of Lozzyf - and the rabbit holes!

• Haha 1

Wearing that headgear you got for the nearby big house maybe having an effect😀😀😀

Every evening at Sandringham we have a 15 minute playing by a mystery piper in the middle of the forest. He is in shorts and can certainly play. Believed by the wardens to be from the CMC or C&CC site.

Her madge not on site but she is the only 'local' who has the right to be snobbish. 

We are in great need of skettered shawz. She would understand that.

47 minutes ago, WispMan said:

On Sandringham at the moment and noyone has refused a hello or Good Morning so far.

Mind you, there are new warden signs everywhere.  

Beware of Lozzyf - and the rabbit holes!

My hands are up!!

I’m a jinx to everyone and everything atm but BE WARNED, I’m booking for next year 🤗 

19 hours ago, dustypete said:

the site we use in France most of the French have caravans that are held together by duck tape ( no joke )

I wouldn't have thought the French were so keen on Elddis caravans. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely that’s ruband du cunard!

19 minutes ago, Gd485 said:

Surely that’s ruband du cunard!

Was that the Atlantic Blue Riband  ?

I never talk to other caravanners unless they tow their Airstream behind their Bentley Bentayga.

I do find it difficult to talk to people. Can't understand why.

10 hours ago, paulthomas said:

I never talk to other caravanners unless they tow their Airstream behind their Bentley Bentayga.

I do find it difficult to talk to people. Can't understand why.

So our Rolls pulling the Airstream was not good enough for you? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

So our Rolls pulling the Airstream was not good enough for you? 

Rolls-Royces aren't Type Approved for towing, the Bentley Bentayga is - not sure about the upcoming R-R Cullinan

I'm a snob when comes to over the top use of our planets resources.  

I think a Rolls Royce is a classic case of excess and couple that with the largest waste of resources and space is the awful Airstream.  

Caravanning in general results in excessive use of the worlds resources but I feel I can justify my caravan as I do not jump on a jet for my holidays.  

• Like 1

Interesting one this.

If you drive a Discovery you're on a loser from the start and if you put a big van behind it then that can make things worse.  

Just been on a three site trip:

Longleat: Nothing more than basic responses.

Bognor Regis: Very convivial, lots of chats, a delight.

Black Knoll: About 50:50

So statistically neutral! I just try to be cheerful and friendly and hope for the same in return.

I get more miserable every day, not looking forward to waking up even more miserablle.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gd485 said:

I think a Rolls Royce is a classic case of excess and couple that with the largest waste of resources and space is the awful Airstream.  

Caravanning in general results in excessive use of the worlds resources but I feel I can justify my caravan as I do not jump on a jet for my holidays.  

You wouldn't be on a jet if you were camping, using even less resources.

But the level that's "excessive" is down to personal preference.

1 hour ago, Gd485 said:

Yes, I do what I can too, when we cruise we will always try to sail from and back to Southampton rather than fly on those gas guzzling air polluting aeroplanes. 

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Rolls-Royces aren't Type Approved for towing, the Bentley Bentayga is - not sure about the upcoming R-R Cullinan

Prior to type approval 'twas quite a common site to see rollers towing.   I posted this here 9 years ago:

Many, many years ago, we were sited on very steep bank of Mosel. The site was tiered with 2 very steep access roads. It became a daily routine for the nearest 3/4 people to help push any departing towing vehicle and the heavier vans were a nightmare! Parked 2 tiers below us was a vintage Rolls Royce with heavy van which attracted daily attention from Brits and Germans alike but got us all shouting and clapping when he hitched up; pulled off the tier and 'floated' up the access road with hardly a sound from his engine.

I dont know if I would call it snobbery but we do encounter unfriendliness exhibited by Brits abroad particularly those travelling in a group or with friends it almost seems like some are afraid of interacting with anyone outside their group, rallies we avoid like the plague. However the further one travels the friendlier fellow countrymen  seem to get.

Sign in to follow this