Durbanite

Decent microfibre cloths?

Most of the microfibre cloths you buy in a supermarket seem to be rubbish.   Where is the best place to buy a decent microfibre cloth at a reasonable price?

25 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

. .... Most of the microfibre cloths you buy in a supermarket seem to be rubbish. ....

It may help if you could explain in what way they are rubbish?

30 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

I wondered that too. ..I am using two coarse ones today on car and caravan,these are larger Wilko ones costing about £1. 50.

geoff

50 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

Many of them just move the water around instead of soaking up any water.   I have 2 that are excellent at this and also polishing, but the rest seem to be bin material however for £1 from a supermarket I guess you cannot complain too much.

12 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Many of them just move the water around instead of soaking up any water.   I have 2 that are excellent at this and also polishing, but the rest seem to be bin material however for £1 from a supermarket I guess you cannot complain too much.

I think the reason for this is the chemicals used in manufacture of the cloths which repel water.

The answer is to launder new cloths several time before use, preferably omitting any fabric conditioners, they'll perform much better.

My favourites arre the large yellow ones from Costco, very effective.

• Like 1

As segapod says wash them, do not use fabric conditioner/softener on them as (it will make them repel water) then air dry them (no tumble drying) which should sort them out. Failing that'd if you want to go for exceptional quality take a look on any of the car detailing forums for recommendations of which ones to go for.

I have a couple of these https://www. exceldetailingsupplies. co. uk/klin not cheap but boy do they do the job well

As with many things this is also a complex area full of different products for different uses and absolutely full of cheap rubbish! 

Personally I have found these to be the best from ideal World (they were a gift a few years back and I have had them since) and are IDEAL for car and caravan paintwork, eg. waterless cleaners, waxing and so on. - the 80 Polyester/20 Polyamide mix makes them perfect for this type of work.  

Here is a great video that I found explains this the best.

Hi all.   During a recent "sorting out " exercise I have temporarily mislaid my very first and all time favourite Microfibre Cloth.

It was bought some 12yrs ago whilst on vacation in KIngston,Ontario,Canada;when I was given the grand tour of a few of the big names such as Walmart (ASDA) and Office Depot (Office World and several others including Home Depot (B&Q).

I bought my very first Microfibre Cloth from Canadian Tire (no I have not spelt it wrongly).

It was marketed under the name of Spontex and could be machine washed at 60* and came as a 300mm  x 300mm bound edges cloth,the same product was also sold under the name of AquaPur but came as a 300mm x 400mm bound edge cloth.

They very closely resemble suede. I have found that they absorb water best when wetted and squeezed dry before being used.

Screwfix do a multipack of 50 microfibre cloths. Have been using these (not the same ones lol) for at least 6 years.

33 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Screwfix do a multipack of 50 microfibre cloths. Have been using these (not the same ones lol) for at least 6 years.

Good grief. ...they would last longer than I will, that's for certain.

geoff

The most absorbent I have was picked up while doing a tour of the 99p shop on Market Street Barnsley, they're microfibre sports towels and they're excellent :) 

I find the Costco yellow microfibre cloths very good, and excellent value for money.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We get all ours from a commercial distributor now in large quantities, but previously used this company http://www. paragonmicrofibre. co. uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2O_20YKT3AIVRLDtCh3sog8xEAAYASAAEgLZ2_D_BwE

Their 300 gsm premium cloths were excellent for all round cleaning, they also sell the detailing products as well but we only used the cloths and glass cloths

We currently use Exel Supercloth 250gsm, seems you can find them for sale in smaller quantities on eBay etc, they last us for ages and we are using them every day and washing them.

Most of the cheap microfibre you find kicking about on the web or cheap in supermarkets tends to be rubbish that deforms after washing and doesn’t last 500 plus washes. Whilst we are on the subject to washing:

1. Machine wash separately

2. Don’t use fabric conditioner

3. Don’t use too much washing powder

4. Wash at 40 degrees generally, they can be washed at higher temp but usually not necessary.

5. Don’t use any products that will block the fibres, they are ruined with cream cleaner, anything with a bleach based element, or any product that dries hard and leaves deposits.

Happy Cleaning!

Edited by sleepyfolk

A third vote for the Costco cloths from me.

Mrs. P. finds them too large to manage (16" x 16" if I remember correctly) so any time I'm in Halfords I pick up a pack of their's and she uses them for all sorts of jobs around the house.

For 'manly' jobs like car and caravan washing the Costco cloths hold a lot more water.

The nicest 'polishing' cloth I ever came  across was a grey one picked up from Norauto in France when on holiday.

Jim

I agree with the yellow Costco ones, bought a shed load and have washed the old ones umpteen times. To dry I use a woolly mammoth (yes that is the name), big and fluffy. The Korean cloths seem to have a very good name.

Canadian Tire, I love it in there, an adult sweet shop-full of stuff you know you do not need but do! You used to get CT dollars with your change.

Posted (edited)

Just to add a professionals opinion on microfibre cloths.  We get through 100's of them each year, and have tested pretty much every different one available to us, and I totally agree with a few of the comments above the Kirkland cloths from Costco are by far the most superior.  

They wash up great, and last us for ages, and pretty much every pro I know buys these cloths over any other brand.  

A quick tip for cloths that become beyond washing, and clogged up.  Fill a bucket with boiling water, and the cheapest non-bio powder you can find.  Leave them soaking for over 20 minutes, remove 1 at a time and then lay out flat on a good board of wood, and simply pressure wash the cloth.  You will be amazed on how satisfying that job can be, and i'd say 95% of the cloths you thought were unusable, will come up really clean again, then simply wash through the machine as per normal.

Be aware, this can leave a trail of wax and grime down the driveway and street, so do this with care.  

Lastly, we save up and donate all our cloths that are beyond what we can use to all the local garages in our area.  They use them for all sorts and it's a great way to stay in favour with your local mechanics.   

Edited by Tourershine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great explanation Tourershine however I also think using fabric conditioner is bad for microfibre cloths?

9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Great explanation Tourershine however I also think using fabric conditioner is bad for microfibre cloths?

Sorry, yes.  I did just assume most people knew that you shouldn't use fabric conditioner with any form of towel.

Also, they fluff back up better when dried in a tumble dryer.  

12 hours ago, Tourershine said:

Sorry, yes.  I did just assume most people knew that you shouldn't use fabric conditioner with any form of towel.

Also, they fluff back up better when dried in a tumble dryer.  

Try telling that to OH!  I am not that brave.    :D

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Try telling that to OH!  I am not that brave.    :D

My wife hit me the hardest only 2 weeks ago, when our washing machine finally packed up, and she made me pay for a new one, blaming the cloths for the collapsed main bearing.  

To be fair to her, I imagine the weight of all my cloths when they are wet from the machine, and the spinning action cannot do the machine much good.  

Edited by Tourershine
  • Haha 1

Its worth considering cotton microfibre cloths and towels as they're good for polishing and drying and are much more friendly to the environment :)

Home Bargains, if you have a store near you 

Yellow Costco cloths, good size, 36 in a pack about £20.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2018 at 11:15, Durbanite said:

Most of the microfibre cloths you buy in a supermarket seem to be rubbish.   Where is the best place to buy a decent microfibre cloth at a reasonable price?

My preferred one is the auto glym one that came with the kit from the car dealer after it had its life shine treatment, it’s gold in colour and super absorbent highly recommended.  

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:31, MartinJB said:

As with many things this is also a complex area full of different products for different uses and absolutely full of cheap rubbish! 

Personally I have found these to be the best from ideal World (they were a gift a few years back and I have had them since) and are IDEAL for car and caravan paintwork, eg. waterless cleaners, waxing and so on. - the 80 Polyester/20 Polyamide mix makes them perfect for this type of work.  

Here is a great video that I found explains this the best.

used these for years no problems at all would highly recommend buy in bulk last forever get good deals at this time of year