Durbanite

Travelling to Morocco with caravan

Has any one travelled to Morocco with their caravan recently?  I am sure that I read on here somewhere that someone had done this and if so how how did they get to Morocco with the caravan and what sort of formalities are involved.   Are there many campsites there?

Just musing at the moment.   :D

A few years back I had a mad desire to travel around Morocco.  I found Dessert Tours and signed up for news letters. They did regular guided tours for campers/caravans through Ceuta across the Atlas Mountains, Sahara dessert to Marahesh, and it sounded great. My wife wasn’t keen so I thought I would give her a taste to tempt her. We went for a day trip organised by the local Travel Agent in Conil de la Frontera where we were camping. We sailed from Tarifa to Tangier and it took about 1/2 hr. We were met at the port of Tangier by the minibus driver and tour guide and went straight to a hotel for lunch. As we stepped out of the minibus my wife stepped an a rat which was half dead in the gutter. Lunch was abominable. A tour of the market next - a rat infested smelly dump. Then a visit to a spice shop - same stuff as Tesco’s at 10 times the price. Then a carpet bazaar where they tried to con us into believing the rugs were hand made.  We went up the hill to see the camels and the monkeys - dont even ask! Finally a bar for a drink which was disgusting and mega expensive, and a then the trip back on the rust bucket they called a ferry. We were very disappointed. With hindsight it saved me a fortune because I went right off  Morocco.

Edited by Ern

Ignore Ern - we went a few years back and had a fabulous time see my web pages  http://www. tednewman. me. uk/Marocco1. htm they are now a bit out of dat but will give you some idea

Morocco Flag.png

• Like 1

A former work colleague flew over the Sahara Desert edge a couple of years back as said he couldn't count how many,mainly motorhomes ( well it would be 'cos it was free), were lined along the desert, several hundreds he believed.

A local friend took his about same time but was advised to stay on the coast,he did and there were men who came and brought water and fresh fruit for sale every morning. ...really enjoyed it all.

geoff

On 06/07/2018 at 12:07, TedNewman said:

Ignore Ern - we went a few years back and had a fabulous time see my web pages  http://www. tednewman. me. uk/Marocco1. htm they are now a bit out of date but will give you some idea

Hey that’s a bit rude Ted! My post is a true description of my experience. We know you are a world authority on the subject but other people are allowed to reply to the thread aren’t they!

I admire what Ted Newman did but personally I would fly there and travel up and down Morocco by train. We explored  India many times that way and Morocco will be far easier than that - they even have a high speed air con TGV line opening this year,  long before our own HS2.   And some direct RyanAir flights from Stansted are as little as £50 return.  

• Thanks 1

No trains to the Sahara!

9 minutes ago, Ern said:

Hey that’s a bit rude Ted! My post is a true description of my experience. We know you are a world authority on the subject but other people are allowed to reply to the thread aren’t they!

Wasn't meant to be rude AND I am certainly not a world authority - yes we have been there several times but health problems have stopped us going again since 2010 so what I have written is now a bit dated.

Visited Morocco about 10 years ago (withouy caravan) and had a wonderful time.

So many placea to visit in the world haven't had time to go back, but its on the list.

I would fly there and use buses to travel around.

20 hours ago, TedNewman said:

No trains to the Sahara!

Wasn't meant to be rude AND I am certainly not a world authority - yes we have been there several times but health problems have stopped us going again since 2010 so what I have written is now a bit dated.

Thanks for posting as it jolted the memory who posted about it.

We went about 5 years ago but without the caravan.   We flew and then travelled around in an anti clockwise circuit from Marrakesh as part of a small group for 10 days or so. Then on our own using the rail system to explore the places along the coast which worked well.   The roads, even in the Atlas Mountains were very good and towing would not have been a problem.  

We were there in Feb/March and saw a few caravans but lots and lots of motor homes both wild camping (lines of them parked up beside pavements) and on sites.    We did not go into any camp sites but the motor homes seemed to be incredibly crowded together and the sites seemed very sandy.   We only noted one or two GB motorhomes but many from Germany, Holland the Scandanavian countries and it is obviously a popular winter long stay area.

We found Morocco absolutely fascinating and very well worth a visit.   We have travelled extensively but we found it a huge culture change for such a short flight.   The Souk in Fez will stay in my memory, and nostrils, for a very long time; it was like a step back to the middle ages.   Even Marrakesh with all its tourists was very enjoyable, Essaurouria and El Jadida were fascinating and the enormous mosque in Casablanca was impressive.  

I would highly recommend a visit but I'm not sure that taking the caravan with the drive to Algeciras in southern Spain (near Gibraltar) and then another ferry is the easiest way to do it unless you have a very long time and combine it with touring in Spain to make the overall cost per night worthwhile.

Yes we had plenty of time - 2 months in Morocco and 1 month to get there and back.

Never been, but have heard from others that if you are travelling about, you really need security with you, best to travel in groups actually rather than alone.   But as I said, have never been.   Remember, those who've enjoyed themselves have been as a package tour, they only let you see the touristy bits, so take that into account

There’s a very good travelogue in August Practical Caravan, a couple who took their van to Morocco, and apparently have done so a number of times over the years. Very informative and a good read

On 08/07/2018 at 18:10, Babstreefern said:

Never been, but have heard from others that if you are travelling about, you really need security with you, best to travel in groups actually rather than alone.   But as I said, have never been.   Remember, those who've enjoyed themselves have been as a package tour, they only let you see the touristy bits, so take that into account

Felt safer in Morocco than many European towns and we were alone — except we stayed in camp sites not wild camping.

Sounds an interesting place to visit but unfortunately due to medical conditions probably not wise to travel there.   Isn't getting old wonderful!  :D

Ian,

One of the Hobby Owners Club members did an excellent write up by daily blog with hundreds of pictures, an interesting read . ....

Thanks Nick but do you have a link as I am a member of that forum.

Usually you have to buy separate insurance to cover your outfit in Morroco .

Dave

7 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Thanks Nick but do you have a link as I am a member of that forum.

Unfortunately not, the Hobby Owners Forum has been stolen by some guy called Graham Pigney so I'm  unable to gain access as he has blocked myself and Bob Wesley, Bob asked for his help when he had a heart attack  a few years ago and apparently he has moved the domain to his own. ........ 

Edited by Nick J

15 hours ago, Nick J said:

Unfortunately not, the Hobby Owners Forum has been stolen by some guy called Graham Pigney so I'm  unable to gain access as he has blocked myself and Bob Wesley, Bob asked for his help when he had a heart attack  a few years ago and apparently he has moved the domain to his own. ........ 

I know Bob and have met him on more than one occasion at a rally.   Sorry to hear of his heart attack.   I cannot access the forum as for some reason it rejects my username and password both of which are correct.   I also keep getting emails from this Graham Pigney stating that the forum has been hacked and he is repairing it however he states that he is moving the forum to a new location Tapatalk? 

We have just come back from just under 4 weeks towing a caravan round Morocco.  It was too short and we will be going back next year for a couple of months.

Trip was :

Ferry from Tarifa to Tangier Ville, Asilah, Fes / Meknes, Midelt, Todas Gorge Foum Ziguid, Icht, Tan Tan Plage, Tiznit, Marrakesh, Casablanca, Chefchouan, Tangier

Still travelling but very happy to answer any questions.

• Thanks 1

We will be in southern Spain next winter and thinking about going down to morocco as well.

No EHIC cover down there so what do you do for medical insurance?

How about car and caravan insurance?

How about gas? We have a calor light, Spanish butane bottles(repsol and cepsa) and a safefill, can any of those be refilled in Morocco?

You just need to be aware down there of your security as Daesh operate in Morroco and need to be vigilant . The murders a few weeks ago of 2 tourists was terrorists linked so you need to check the FO website for updates . I know a few years ago I last planned on going down into Morroco the FO said not to travel unless needed as Isis was operating in the country .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

On 13/07/2018 at 17:46, Nick J said:

There is a facebook group Hobby Owners UK that seems to be ok as facebook groups go

Without wishing to belittle the security situation, and I totally agree with following the FO's advice, as long as you keep your wits about you and be aware of what's going on around you, I don't think it is any more dangerous than in London or any of the big cities in Europe.  Yes they have their radical element but so do we.  Victims of terrorist attacks, sadly, are often just in the wrong place at the wrong time. We always camped in recognised campsites - most of which had night security watchmen.  We locked our documents away in the caravan safe and carried photocopies with us.  We only took what was necessary in our pockets and we kept a beady eye on what was happening near us.  We have a maxim that, if one of us did not feel comfortable, we moved on.  For the whole of the time we were there, we were treated with warmth, friendliness and respect. We have travelled extensively and so are not 'innocents abroad' and we never once felt threatened.  To the contrary, we were made welcome wherever we went.  The Moroccan authorities recognise that tourism is a key part of their GDP so try and make it as easy and safe as they can.  Hence the very swift response to the sad murder of the 2 Scandanavian girls.

Going on to the more mundane issues:

I took out Red Pennant insurance with the CMC. Yes it is expensive (we straddle the 70 year old barrier) but it gave us peace of mind.  I insure my caravan through SAGA that covers me for Morocco and I persuaded my car insurance to give me a green card (essential).

As for gas, we set off with a full Spanish gas bottle (I did a deal with the Tarifa campsite and left my German gas bottle in exchange for a Spanish one).  When we exchanged them back again, I think we had only used about a quarter of the bottle.

Campsite ranged from very very basic to OK but we never failed to have a hot shower.  

Hope that hat helps a bit. Don't want to start a huge discussion on security, just giving you our thoughts while we were there.