Sign in to follow this  
meone

So, when in France - grey water disposal?

One site,in Provence, used to have a blackboard with which trees they wanted grey water to go around. Another had a bowser which they used for spraying the dusty paths.

geoff

Horses for courses.

We tend to only use site washing up area in UK if we've had a BBQ. In Europe it's more likely due to the heat (too hot to wash up in the van).

I think this year we will use a bucket for grey water most of the time as we will probably shower on site. It can go in the hedge. That's a good tip, thanks.

23 hours ago, BFM said:

Ah, the dreaded bucket trudge. No thanks.

Like Val we use the site facilities when abroad.   Half a bucket a day of grey waste a day is not a problem to dispose of. I am thinking on our next trip abroad I will take a watering can to keep enough water in the Aquaroll for our small needs, as I see most continentals using one to supply their on-board tanks in caravans and motorhomes. OK it will not be food grade, but the water will only be in it for a few minutes. Our drinking water is either in a 5 litre plastic bottle or drinking water jug, filled from a site tap. Jug or bottle use depends on the proximity of a site tap to the caravan.

John.

15 hours ago, shipbroker said:

One site,in Provence, used to have a blackboard with which trees they wanted grey water to go around. Another had a bowser which they used for spraying the dusty paths.

geoff

We've seen that too, Geoff, so that each tree gets a fair share regularly.   It did keep the site nice and green, too.

Edited by ValA

I couldn't find were to put the grey water on a site near Le Man so I decided to put it down a road gulley and I got a right dressing down the  owner, made it perfectly clear he was not happy` in French` and showed me where to dispose the water, wont do that again in a hurry.

We too adopt the continental ways and dont spend the days lugging water about so our consumption in the van is washing hands, making tea, cleaning teeth  and some for cooking. Washing ourselves and dishes we do at the provided facilities and if they were inadequate (very rare ) we would go elsewhere . I take  water container s for fresh and grey that are a fraction of the size most UK campers use and top up the fresh water re- using 5 or 8 litre bottled water bottles which I discard at regular intervals. I have to say that unless there is disability involved I really cant understand the showering in the van.

I have to say, that I see little point in paying for something that you are not going to use.

My van came with a shower so I use it.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:37, segapod said:

The obvious answer here is to "use your common sense" - or is that too much to expect?

Grey water is really just fresh water with a small amount of detergent and other harmless contaminants in it. Plants and trees love it.

The sensible approach is to water the local flora with it unless otherwise instructed by the site management.

Don't however allow it to dribble straight onto any formal pitch as it may be that someone will pitch a tent directly onto that pitch as soon as you vacate it.

Wastemasters are IMO a very strange perversion, a simple plastic bucket is much better. You can see the level instantly and you're encouraged to empty it regularly rather than allow smelly waste to build up and get even smellier.

Like I said - common sense.

Just how do you use a bucket on a sloping pitch where the outlet is below the rim of the bucket?

1 hour ago, Steve W77 said:

I have to say, that I see little point in paying for something that you are not going to use.

My van came with a shower so I use it.

Does the same apply to the airbags in your car?

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Just how do you use a bucket on a sloping pitch where the outlet is below the rim of the bucket?

Does the same apply to the airbags in your car?

Perhaps you would use the waste pipe directed to the bucket? A small bucket is barely higher than our fiamma waste tank. If on a very sloppy pitch you could use a child's seaside bucket ;)

Our airbags are single use only so we try to avoid using them for that reason. The caravan shower isn't, so gets used when needed. I can't speak for others on this issue.

On a very sloping pitch, we use an egg cup. You have to empty it a few times but so much easier than emptying a wastemaster every day :D

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WispMan said:

On a very sloping pitch, we use an egg cup. You have to empty it a few times but so much easier than emptying a wastemaster every day :D

Ooh you are awful.

I take the aqua roll and a wastemaster on holiday so I use them

I  fill and empty as required this may be everyday or after a few days  dont see the point carrying extra bucket and other filling vessels

i do think people have  funny habits I do laugh when I watch them going backwards and forwards with small containers of water to fill a water barrel

Edited by Ashey

30 minutes ago, Ashey said:

i do think people have  funny habits I do laugh when I watch them going backwards and forwards with small containers of water to fill a water barrel

Me too!

That thing where people walk past the tap two or three times a day but then make an extra trip with 40kg of water in tow. Lol.  

For us it depends on the site. Currently on a CL with no facilities and the tap is about 20m away. We are using a fair bit of water so the Aquaroll has been back to the tap twice. On most sites, we just fill the 10 litre Jerry (easily carried, no filler pipe, Aquaroll left on station) and top up the Aquaroll when convenient.

I try and use physics I use less energy  pulling  40kg  than than carrying 10kg  :)   I think

but your right  svimes  you adapt to the situation that you have  but I think some people just get set in there ways and never realise that you can change

I have to say, that I have seen plenty of continentals who seem to spend  half their day’s traipsing backward and forwards to top up  their onboard tanks with a watering can.    Personally I think that the Aquarol is a brilliant invention it is an easy and efficient way of moving water.    

Maybe that’s why I am happy to be as self sufficient as possible and sit in a field and use my caravans facilities rather than being completely reliant on someone else.  

• Like 2

Very happy to be self sufficient- as we are this weekend.

I think the discussion is just about adapting to circumstance. For a lot of us, being on a French site means using much less water and, often, no convenient grey water dispensing point. A little fresh water frequently and an easy way of releasing the grey then makes a lot of sense.

Btw, I agree, the Aquaroll is a great invention.

The kit you need to be self sufficient for a weekend on a CL is not the same as the kit you need to haul around Europe where campsites are rather more 21st century.  

• Like 1

21st centuary?  When I stay in a hotel expect and demand  ensuite facilities, exactly the same in my caravan.    Tramping to some communal wash area, seems similar to a 1950’s Blackpool boarding house, if that’s what floats your boat then fine.  

As always whether a CL in England, or a megacamp in France the best thing to do is ask.  

Got to go.  I am about to walk the 15ft to the other end of the van to have a shower while the coffee is brewing.   How primitive is that?

• Like 1

We have noticed that a few continentals pull British caravans and are using aquarolls etc.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We have noticed that a few continentals pull British caravans and are using aquarolls etc.

Yes we were in Provence and noticed some Dutch outfits with Bailey & Swifts attached. ..did not see any Wastemasters as they tend to just let their grey water drip somewhat!...on a site in Valkenburg  there were little pits all over the site where the small buckets had overflowed. .. 

geoff

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Yes we were in Provence and noticed some Dutch outfits with Bailey & Swifts attached. ..did not see any Wastemasters as they tend to just let their grey water drip somewhat!...on a site in Valkenburg  there were little pits all over the site where the small buckets had overflowed. .. 

geoff

Are you sure the pits were from a bucket overflowing. The Dutch and Germans are well known to us for digging pits for caravan wheels for getting it level side to side. I'm sure it is to save weight by replacing a levelling ramp with a spade!:) Unlike golfers they don't always refill the divots.

John.

We  find the shower compartment very useful for storing the washing machine and other bulky  lightweight items. If we were to empty it to have a shower and clean and dry it up afterwards we could walk to the spacious site showers  use their water and be back in half the time. Because its there its not compulsory to use it, same goes for the cooker which we hardly ever use, choosing to keep  cooking smells and heat out of the van, last 11 week trip never turned the gas on.  

On 08/07/2018 at 21:22, WispMan said:

We wash ourselves.

We wash up.

We make tea.

We flush our loos.

We have a shave and shower.

Alternatively one can go to the facilities, if there any. But I'm on holiday and don't want to spend my time walking a way to wash my hands. I wish to shave and clean my teeth unobserved. I don't want to give money for water bottles to Coca Cola.

You did ask. .....................

yep, we have two aqua rolls and i fill them both up each day. ...only use the site facilites  for one thing :blink:

6 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

yep, we have two aqua rolls and i fill them both up each day. ...only use the site facilites  for one thing :blink:

Is that the swimming pool? Do your leave your kids there?