Sign in to follow this  
meone

So, when in France - grey water disposal?

We are currently in France and note tht not many sites have a disposal point for grey water.   So should we just dump it under caravan or what is the etiquete here?

We generally ask where to put the "gris" water or use the motorhome dump point.

We have been told on many sites water the plants.

we no longer carry a waste hog to France, just a long grey pipe to run it to the hedge!

• Like 2

Same in Spain.

We use -

1.  Motorhome dump points

2. Chemical loo emptying places

3. Under the caravan or in the hedge if very small quantities.

It depends on what sort of sites you go on. Farms and Airs may not be bothered either way but on proper commercial sites you must not dump grey water anywhere unless a facility is clearly made for it. Most pitches do not have grey water drains and even where a water tap is positioned over a soak away you must not dump waste water. On the Continent most campers use the site facilities so there is very little waste water created on the pitch.  

I put ours into the waste that takes the washing up water away from the sinks for campers (it was a surface gulley)

If there is a waste water drain then obviously we use it, but failing that I put all my washing up water through a sieve to catch the bits and then the waste water hog is emptied into a hedge or around a tree. Over many years on many sites that is what we were told to do and nowadays I am afraid that I don't ask.

• Thanks 1

Bottle it, put on a fancy label and sell it as local artisan wine for €10 a bottle :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of the benefits of the motorhome boom is that almost all sites now offer a service area.

Mostly the sites buy a standard pillar with toilet drain, grey drain and washout water tap.

Just the thing for us Brits that generate grey water!

• Like 1

Thanks all.    I had forgotten the motorhome service areas.   I've not seen anyone with a waste hog, except us, on the sites I've used so far!

On 02/07/2018 at 15:27, LongTimeCaravaner said:

If there is a waste water drain then obviously we use it, but failing that I put all my washing up water through a sieve to catch the bits and then the waste water hog is emptied into a hedge or around a tree. Over many years on many sites that is what we were told to do and nowadays I am afraid that I don't ask.

+1

Mind you, we have just come back from Via Claudia in Germany that claimed it was part of the catchment area for water supplies, so nothing was supposed to be allowed to spill on the ground. ..

Two comments to that; firstly, just about everywhere is a catchment area (heard of groundwater?) and secondly, water does undergo sufficient treatment to remove a little biodegradeable soap before getting to a tap.

I don't give the space for a waste hog any more either, although I do carry a long waste hose to reach the drain on the increasing number of continental pitches that are fully serviced. Having said that, the vast majority of caravanners who pay for a serviced pitch either don't know or don't have the equipment to use it properly and STILL wash all their vegatables under their tap. ..:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Stopped in 13 sites this year and only one,  Les Rivages in Millau, actually specifically mentioned "grey" water.   The drain was close to the entrance to the site we were told and there is only one!  Well - those of you who know the site will realise the distance from the entrance to some pitches! 

Bucket under the drain and empty in the bushes, use motorhome service point if convenient  and, in some sites, drains provided on each pitch or shared between two.

As has been pointed out the vast majority use communal washing up areas.   I think we are most likely a rarity since we do fill an aquaroll and have hot water.   

A few years ago when the Brits started taking their Wastemaster over to France it was common for the locals to kick up because they thought the Brits were emptying toilets into the drains. About 7 years back we were on a winter rally in Spain and the same thing happened. The locals were convinced we were dumping toilet waste.  

• Like 1

Just back from a month in France and never saw anyone with a wastemaster or an aquaroll - until  we got back within a mile two of the ferry port and there there were - huge shiny British caravans , some with two of each. What do they do with all that water? 

• Like 1

We wash ourselves.

We wash up.

We make tea.

We flush our loos.

We have a shave and shower.

Alternatively one can go to the facilities, if there any. But I'm on holiday and don't want to spend my time walking a way to wash my hands. I wish to shave and clean my teeth unobserved. I don't want to give money for water bottles to Coca Cola.

You did ask......................

• Like 2

must admit I always wonder  why people need 2 aquarolls  though as if wife has a shower  I would check water  and if need to go  and fill up again

9 minutes ago, WispMan said:

We wash ourselves.

We wash up.

We make tea.

We flush our loos.

Alternatively one can go to the facilities, if there any. But I'm on holiday and don't want to spend my time walking a way to wash my hands. I wish to shave and clean my teeth unobserved. I don't want to give money for water bottles to Coca Cola.

You did ask. .....................

+1

10 hours ago, WispMan said:

We wash ourselves.

We wash up.

We make tea.

We flush our loos.

You did ask. .....................

We do - but in the shower block here!  There are rooms with a shower, toilet and wash basin and even one with a bath, so proper privacy!  We wash up at the block and chat to others, getting tips on restaurants, places to visit, the best route somewhere, and other good campsites.    We don't have plastic water bottles these days but take our kettle to the tap which is ten paces away to fill it, or take a jug which goes in the outside fridge for cold drinks.     Our neighbour had two aquarolls and we reckoned he went up and down to empty his grey water more times than we did to use the facilities for everything.

Always take my pots to be washed to the site's facilities, never use the caravan, so no aquaroll and no waste water carrier either:D

11 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Always take my pots to be washed to the site's facilities, never use the caravan, so no aquaroll and no waste water carrier either:D

Ah, the dreaded bucket trudge. No thanks.

We have 2 aquarolls although we have a 40L onboard tank.   It works for us however we do try and find sites with pitches that have  water connections for fresh and waste water.   Not easy on the continent.

We like a variety of different types of sites depending on where we are. We love CL’s where there is peace and quiet with just a water supply and a toilet wast point - and we’re happy with that.  Top grade sites and pitches with continuous water and grey waste are quite nice too, especially on the Continent where the better sites are WAY better than the UK sites. We sometimes use our caravan shower and sometimes the site showers. We also use out loo in the night and the site loo in the day. It’s nice to be flexible. We use the site dish washing areas if we’ve got a pile of stuff and it’s not too far to walk, but use the caravan for bits and bobs.  

I don’t accept anyone’s argument that their way is better than other people’s.

6 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We have 2 aquarolls although we have a 40L onboard tank.   It works for us however we do try and find sites with pitches that have  water connections for fresh and waste water.   Not easy on the continent.

We’re in the middle of a 30 day holiday in France and all the sites were on have fully serviced pitches, with the exception of the overnight stops en-route.  

The obvious answer here is to "use your common sense" - or is that too much to expect?

Grey water is really just fresh water with a small amount of detergent and other harmless contaminants in it. Plants and trees love it.

The sensible approach is to water the local flora with it unless otherwise instructed by the site management.

Don't however allow it to dribble straight onto any formal pitch as it may be that someone will pitch a tent directly onto that pitch as soon as you vacate it.

Wastemasters are IMO a very strange perversion, a simple plastic bucket is much better. You can see the level instantly and you're encouraged to empty it regularly rather than allow smelly waste to build up and get even smellier.

Like I said - common sense.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ern said:

We’re in the middle of a 30 day holiday in France and all the sites were on have fully serviced pitches, with the exception of the overnight stops en-route.  

We tend to use ACSI sites and the book & App  indicates that most sites do not have this facility.   However having said that we have come across French sites where it is not mentioned in the ACSI app or book.  

I'm not sure I have ever emptied a wastemaster. We used to cart one about but for some reason it always seemed to leak :lol:

Edited by BFM