Advice needed air awning problems

Hi completely new to air awnings anyway we bought a bradcot aspire at the end of march and used it 4 times. It’s leaked badly every time and the front bladders looked curved. We took it back to the shop who sent it back to bradcot who has since waterproofed the awning and straightened the twisted bladders out. Our concern is should a new awning need waterproofing and they have told us the front leg beams are curved it’s quite normal hence we’re not happy about it but unsure what to do any advice is appreciated 

No, a new awning shouldn't need water-proofing but for whatever reason, some do.   There are endless stories of Kampa air awnings leaking (including ours) but I have no idea why, at least your dealer has assisted you and (hopefully) sorted it.   I do like the whole concept and design of ours, I just wished it ticked the biggest requirement box of being waterproof!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

When we bought our kampa air pro 390 in 2014, it leaked like a sieve - they said it needed to get drenched and dry out twice to swell the stitching sometimes and that’s exactly what happened - it was gone dry after that and never leaked again even in torrential downpours and 50mph winds.

one of the front legs was a bit twisted but I just shuffled the bladder around when it was deflated and that sorted the problem, after that I made sure to follow the deflation and folding instructions and it was ok.

I think Bradcot have a good reputation for putting things right.

No problems with my Kampa 200 Air.

Years and years ago when one bought a new tent you put it up in the garden to get wet before going camping.

• Like 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

As above Bradcot are fairly straight and informative with information given out, we sell all kinds of air awnings and none of them are straight legged, only ones in showroom where everything is straight and tight is the Isabella/Ventura range of conventional poled awnings, accepted the air ones should not have legs which are banana shaped but at this moment in time none of them are same as a poled product

Maybe in the future

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

We bought an Outdoor Revolution e-Sport Air 400 awning in April.   Used it for a weekend in May - it was fine.   Then took it to France in June - A couple of days in it developed a tiny leak in one of the tubes and collapsed.   Tried to fix the leak a myriad of ways without success.   We had to pump it up twice a day!   Returned to UK and went back to the retailer who sent it back to manufacturer and the tubes were replaced.   The retailer tested it for a day and said it was OK.

I asked if many had been returned - the answer was no.   Going to put it up in the garden for a few days to test it more thoroughly before we go back to France in September.

Just wondered if other caravanners had had leaky Outdoor Revolution awnings and whether the problem reoccurred?

Thanks.

The air valve on the Outdoor Revolution, called dynamic speed valve, can loosen in the tube causing very gradual loss of pressure. OR can supply a tool to nip them up again. You’ve reminded mine needs doing.  

2 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

The air valve on the Outdoor Revolution, called dynamic speed valve, can loosen in the tube causing very gradual loss of pressure. OR can supply a tool to nip them up again. You’ve reminded mine needs doing.  

There is a tool in the repair kit for tightening this up!

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

• 11 months later...
On 24/07/2018 at 16:02, meadowsweet said:

We bought an Outdoor Revolution e-Sport Air 400 awning in April.   Used it for a weekend in May - it was fine.   Then took it to France in June - A couple of days in it developed a tiny leak in one of the tubes and collapsed.   Tried to fix the leak a myriad of ways without success.   We had to pump it up twice a day!   Returned to UK and went back to the retailer who sent it back to manufacturer and the tubes were replaced.   The retailer tested it for a day and said it was OK.

I asked if many had been returned - the answer was no.   Going to put it up in the garden for a few days to test it more thoroughly before we go back to France in September.

Just wondered if other caravanners had had leaky Outdoor Revolution awnings and whether the problem reoccurred?

Thanks.

We had a leak in one of the tubes at the top where the tube is sealed repaired this all was fine for the rest of our stay. On our second outing with the awning we had another leak in another tube in exactly the same place. once again we repaired it and all was OK. We wil see what happens when we go away for the third time. Another problem we have had is that the tubes slide down inside the sleeves and when the awning is inflated we have about 2 ft of the sleeve that is not inflated at the top. We then have to undo the sleeve to slide the tube in to the correct position.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/07/2019 at 17:07, Rick and Pat said:

We had a leak in one of the tubes at the top where the tube is sealed repaired this all was fine for the rest of our stay. On our second outing with the awning we had another leak in another tube in exactly the same place. once again we repaired it and all was OK. We wil see what happens when we go away for the third time. Another problem we have had is that the tubes slide down inside the sleeves and when the awning is inflated we have about 2 ft of the sleeve that is not inflated at the top. We then have to undo the sleeve to slide the tube in to the correct position.

Hi  I've just bought exactly the same awning (outdoor revolution esport air 400) and have exactly the same problem... have to pump it up 3 times a day which is not ideal as we're in France! I did test it before we came out but it was only for a short while. Problem is that we're in france for 3 weeks so I dont have the opportunity to get a replacement- how did you identify where the air leak was? Is there an easy way? So at least I could repair it whilst we're in France. Thanks!

For what it’s worth I purchased a Sunncamp Airvolution 390 Extreme awning earlier this year.

1. It’s 100% waterproof and it’s been VERY well tested on that front. 

2. It doesn’t lose  any pressure. (Longest period of inflation 10 days) 

3. I reckon it’s a vastly better awning than the (leaky) Kampa I had previously.

4. I am very pleased with it.

Downside?

It’s a heavy bit of kit  (30Kg)  but between us we have worked out a system to both erect and take it down pretty quickly! 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I don't have an air awning - prefer poles - but picking up on the topic of waterproofing.

Ours leaked the first time it rained - but was OK thereafter.

On its first outing of each new year it will again leak a tiny bit, but be fine for the rest of the season.

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Downside?

It’s a heavy bit of kit  (30Kg)  but between us we have worked out a system to both erect and take it down pretty quickly! 

Andy

Can you please enlighten us as we got rid of our Kampa Air Ace.  Besides quality issues the other issue was the weight to pull it through the awning rail even after removing the sides as we both have arthritis in our arms.  Also it would never go up flush against the caravan. 

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

For what it’s worth I purchased a Sunncamp Airvolution 390 Extreme awning earlier this year.

1. It’s 100% waterproof and it’s been VERY well tested on that front. 

2. It doesn’t lose  any pressure. (Longest period of inflation 10 days) 

3. I reckon it’s a vastly better awning than the (leaky) Kampa I had previously.

4. I am very pleased with it.

Downside?

Andy

We bought a lightweight Trigano air awning which weighed in at 17kg.

Kept it for 5 years and sold it on looking almost as good as new, only the guys had faded. Fully waterproof, air tubes never leaked and never needed reinflating.

Why are all air awnings not like this?

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:02, meadowsweet said:

Thanks.

Had exactly the same problem. In my case I presumed it was a air leak in the tube. However after reading up on it decided to check the tightness of the valve and it was not tight. At home using the tool provided tightened it up then inflated it and tested it inside for a few days. No problems at all. So if you have not already check the valve fitting are tight.

Edited by ascsbe
2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Can you please enlighten us as we got rid of our Kampa Air Ace.  Besides quality issues the other issue was the weight to pull it through the awning rail even after removing the sides as we both have arthritis in our arms.  Also it would never go up flush against the caravan. 

Theres no particular “secret” we have just worked out what works for us, but we don’t have arthritis. 

First off is to spray some silicone or furniture polish into the awning rail to make it easier to draw the awning through. Next position the awning unfolded near to the front of the caravan adjacent to the corner. Start to feed the awning into the channel,  once it’s over the top corner grasp the awning as close as you can get to the top corner and walk backwards pulling it through the channel. At the same time Mrs P is feeding the awning into the channel at the front. It takes a bit of effort but not that much. After that it’s connect up the pump and inflate it, then peg out, 

To pack it away it’s release all the valves, pull the awning the other way out. Layout flat, fold each end in a couple of times and then roll it up starting at the top and working down to the bottom (that expels all the air) 

We don’t bother to remove any of the panels as they have to go back in anyway!,

The one thing to watch is the position light near our top front corner, the awning can snag on that.

Hope that helps.

I believe there is a pulley thingy that you can position in the awning rail that makes threading the awning itself much easier, but I don’t have one.

Andy

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I had the same problem re getting the awning flush to the caravan. The way I found round this is when siting the caravan was to use a level block to raise the near side of the van so the van was leaning just a small amount (not enough to notice when in the van) away from the awning this enabled the sides of the awning to meet the caravan .

kot

pigs

Not a problem I have ever had! But I am very careful to buy an awning that will not interfere with any of the side windows. Having said that I need to position the current one VERY carefully as there isn’t much space between the side window and the habitation doorway! 

Andy

51 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Theres no particular “secret” we have just worked out what works for us, but we don’t have arthritis. 

First off is to spray some silicone or furniture polish into the awning rail to make it easier to draw the awning through. Next position the awning unfolded near to the front of the caravan adjacent to the corner. Start to feed the awning into the channel,  once it’s over the top corner grasp the awning as close as you can get to the top corner and walk backwards pulling it through the channel. At the same time Mrs P is feeding the awning into the channel at the front. It takes a bit of effort but not that much. After that it’s connect up the pump and inflate it, then peg out, 

To pack it away it’s release all the valves, pull the awning the other way out. Layout flat, fold each end in a couple of times and then roll it up starting at the top and working down to the bottom (that expels all the air) 

We don’t bother to remove any of the panels as they have to go back in anyway!,

The one thing to watch is the position light near our top front corner, the awning can snag on that.

Hope that helps.

I believe there is a pulley thingy that you can position in the awning rail that makes threading the awning itself much easier, but I don’t have one.

Andy

Thanks Andy.  It was mainly the weight trying to drag it up and around the first bend and then  along until most of the awning was past the first bend.  It was a real struggle due to the weight of the awning.

We have an Isabella that we are quite happy with however as we get older, it can be tiring so looking at other options.  We do have a small 220 air awning for the winter months however as it came from the same manufacturer as our Air Ace it already has a split in it, but very small so we live with it.

The Kampa awning pulley does help a lot. To use it you need an eyelet on the top edge of the awning, Kampa awnings have this but I don't know about other makes. I'm 70 now and do have some arthritis, but with the pulley and screw in pegs with a cordless drill I found my Kampa air pro 390 grande quite easy. I also use an electric air pump.

John

A sign maker will probably be happy to put an eyelet in any awning for you. After all they do advertising banners etc and THEY have eyelets in them! 

Mr Google should find one local.

How much is the pulley?? Might get one myself! 

Andy

Depending where you buy they're between £22-£25.

Important point, when walking backwards with pulley don't get run over by other campers :D Due to the sharp bend in the awning rail on my Bailey I can't get the pulley past it. I fit vertically as near to the bend as possible and it works fine. 

VIDEO