UK TV in France?

Is it possible to access UK TV with a satellite dish in Brittany, northern France?

We got picture with our dish in St Nazaire so Brittany should not be a problem as long as you have line of sight southwards.

Yes, was doing so a week ago in the southern bit of Finistere. Now in Loire and last year in the Lot. Mine is a 65CM dish.

Of course you need a bit more than a "dish", a decoder of some sort which some TVs have as a built in feature.

Thanks for the info. I'm using a Satgear 40cm square dish, which is supposed to be equivalent to a 60cm round dish. TV is an Avtex, which has the satellite decoder built in. The setup worked fine in the UK, but haven't been able to get a signal here in Brittany, but I haven't tried pointing it south as suggested ?. Is it the same satellite as in the UK - Astra 2 28. 2E?

Elevation of dish in Brittany is 28. 1     and aim at 142 on your compass and you should be ok. To get exact  details key in location on www. dishpointer. com

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, ascsbe said:

Elevation of dish in Brittany is 28. 1     and aim at 142 on your compass and you should be ok. To get exact  details key in location on www. dishpointer. com

Hope this helps

. .. or if you have an Android phone get the free Satellite Director app which will not only show you the direction of the sat. using the phone's camera but also where it is in the sky i. e. trees in the way etc. . I would also suggest a satellite finder (usually less than €10 from Lidl, Aldi, or almost any French hypermarket) to find the signal. It will be weaker as you are out of the centre of the footprint, will need sharper azimuth alignment (i. e. direction) and as ascsbe says above will be higher in the sky than in the UK. HOWEVER it will still be lower in the sky than Astra19 that many French users point at.

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

11 hours ago, ascsbe said:

Hope this helps

Dishpointer is probably one of the best apps on the market however if you go to their website you can get the same info free.   See http://www. dishpointer. com/

14 hours ago, PeterOR said:

Thanks for the info. I'm using a Satgear 40cm square dish, which is supposed to be equivalent to a 60cm round dish. TV is an Avtex, which has the satellite decoder built in. The setup worked fine in the UK, but haven't been able to get a signal here in Brittany, but I haven't tried pointing it south as suggested ?. Is it the same satellite as in the UK - Astra 2 28. 2E?

Somebody's mathematics is wrong.  

A 40 x 40 'square' dish = 1600 cm2 area whereas a 60 cm dish = 2860 cm2 area or nearly twice the effective area.  

Or, to put it another way, a 40 x 40 dish has the same area as a 45cm "round" dish.

2 hours ago, beejay said:

Somebody's mathematics is wrong.  

A 40 x 40 'square' dish = 1600 cm2 area whereas a 60 cm dish = 2860 cm2 area or nearly twice the effective area.  

Or, to put it another way, a 40 x 40 dish has the same area as a 45cm "round" dish.

If the performance of the two differing technologies was the same, so simply area based. I suspect it is far from as simple as that.

If both dishes are “reflectors” then size matters! I have never understood the idea of a square dish. I believe elliptical is optimum for a reflector.   I think “direct” is the technical term for the other sort (with the LNB in the dish) 

Ern

On 24/06/2018 at 21:10, PeterOR said:

?. Is it the same satellite as in the UK - Astra 2 28. 2E?

Astra 2 comprises of a small group of satellites which hover in the sky approx 24,000 miles away from the UK on the equator

approx 22,000 miles above the Congo.

Go to "Dishpointer. com", set up Astra 2 for your location so that you can see the yellow line that indicates the direction of the satellite then zoom out all the way.   That's where the satellite is!

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
Typo

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

19 hours ago, Ern said:

I think “direct” is the technical term for the other sort (with the LNB in the dish) 

"Direct" or "Prime Focus" dishes as opposed to the "Off set" type dishes we see on most houses.

(See my 57cm caravan dish below!)

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
Typo

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.