Sign in to follow this  
Dave_N

Caravan and motorhome

11 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

It's the awnings that are the PIA.

Last year our caravan was on a store n stay site. When we wanted to use it the site pulled it from store and levelled it. All I had to do was connect the on-pitch fresh and waste, the EHU and transfer all the gear from the car. But then erect the porch awning and take it down and pack away after. That takes a lot of time, a lot of bending, a lot of  kneeling, banged thumbs, broken nails, sweating and swearing.

This year I've a 17ft long Transit panel van conversion. I've just done 3 nights at Bolton Abbey CMC and loved it. On Saturday I went into Skipton for supplies and parked in a busy town with no problem. The rest of the weekend the van stayed put and the beardies and I walked the woods and the riverside walks in gorgeous weather.  Cuppas and sandwiches in the tea room next to the site. It couldn't be better.

I extended the Fiamma wind-out sunshade a couple of times but that's really no hassle and today I had everything packed away and the grey water emptied in 30 minutes. Then off to pick up Mrs SDA at nearby Malham.  

Keep it very, very simple is the answer.

Definitely agree. Keep it simple. With our caravan we use an Isabella Shadow canopy, which is simply a rectangular bit of waterproof fabric which goes up/comes down in a few minutes. We use it as a sun or rain canopy, with or without the Shade (side). We have a pair of 12L water containers for water and waste which weigh ounces and live in the front locker. The fresh water container has a float valve in it so good for fully serviced pitches if applicable. We have 2 chairs in the car boot,

and a tool bag.

I tow with a T5 Campervan, best of both worlds.

For a number of years we had both VW campers (Autosleeper Tridents - hightop campers) and caravans (4/5-berth Swift Challengers).  The Trident could sleep 4 (2 children in the bunk in the high top plus double bed). 

The VW towed the caravan like a dream, if a little underpowered by today's standards.   We used the combination for extended family holidays in France (4-6 weeks).  Great for days out - left the caravan with awning on site, but still had full camping facilities in the Trident for local tours.

The children preferred to sleep in the camper, leaving the caravan for us.

The VW were compact enough to be our only family vehicle.

The Trident was used occasionally for weekend trips in the UK, but was a bit cramped for longer periods with our unreliable weather.  

However great for family days out.

If I was young again now and contemplating something similar I would consider a slightly larger camper based on the Fiat Ducato MWB (with toilet/shower).  This would give total flexibility.

Don't know how you would get on in the more regimented UK towing a caravan on site with a van conversion, but on the continent if your outfit fits on the pitch no-one bothers you (or charges extra for larger vehicles, awnings, pup tents . ..).

Clive

I decided in the end to part ex the caravan and get a motorhome.  Did the deal today and I pick up the motorhome in 2 weeks.  Time to clear out the caravan and transfer it all to the motorhome.

On 24/06/2018 at 18:20, Steamdrivenandy said:

The problem I have with running two at the same time is the waste of space/resources. By that I mean that you really only need one kitchen and one bathroom and because you want to use the motorhome on its own, then both need to be in the motorhome. That leaves you with a caravan that's just a lounge and bedroom, which nobody makes. And then if you need the loo in the night, do you waddle to the van in the dark. So then you have to have a washroom in the caravan and one in the motorhome, which seems pointless.

I know someone who ran a VW T5 camper and a caravan. She said they only used the caravan for sleeping in and the kitchen was never used and only the toilet and washbasin was used in the washroom. That was until they got a Discovery instead of the T5.

I thought OP was talking about owning both but only using one at a time.

I have had both. 

I had  a caravan and then I bought a motorhome. I wanted to use both.

Finally I  understood that I didn't have   time to use neither one. :D

• Like 1

I have owned and used both. 

There are pluses and minuses for both. I could type 500 words and convince you a MH is best, and then another 500 words and convince you a caravan is best. 

So many variables its an impossible question to answer.

My only thought about what the OP is asking is that SOME Motorhomes can only tow a fairly light (as in 1000kg) trailer. So be sure to check carefully IF you intend towing the van with the MH

Andy

• Like 2

This thread originated nearly 18 months ago, so I guess the OP made his decision long ago.

After 18 months running our campervan and spending more than £4,000 on getting it fully fettled, I'm on the verge of selling it due to worsening mobility issues. It's been great as a means of taking Mrs SDA to her choral leadership assignments at various country house hotels and staying nearby with our two bearded collies. It was also great for touring south west and central eastern Scotland and for short breaks in North Wales and Herefordshire etc and when Mrs SDA is using our Yeti, the campervan is handy enough for me to use as a daily driver for supermarket shopping etc. 

2 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

This thread originated nearly 18 months ago, so I guess the OP made his decision long ago.

After 18 months running our campervan and spending more than £4,000 on getting it fully fettled, I'm on the verge of selling it due to worsening mobility issues. It's been great as a means of taking Mrs SDA to her choral leadership assignments at various country house hotels and staying nearby with our two bearded collies. It was also great for touring south west and central eastern Scotland and for short breaks in North Wales and Herefordshire etc and when Mrs SDA is using our Yeti, the campervan is handy enough for me to use as a daily driver for supermarket shopping etc. 

July 28th 2018 if anybody bothered to read his post above.

He PX'ed the caravan for a motorhome.

Mind you, since last year he may have come to his senses and come back to a caravan.:P

• Like 1

Our caravan is on a seasonal pitch, no limits on usage other than personnel time to spare.

Wild camping is fine if your staying with your outfit, my thoughts about it was when out for the day walking, all my possessions would be vulnerable.

Edited by Wellys and Mac

On 19/11/2019 at 21:04, Mr Plodd said:

I could type 500 words and convince you a MH is best

Hi Andy, well as Pantomine season is almost upon us all I can say is "Oh no you cant!!!"

13 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Our caravan is on a seasonal pitch, no limits on usage other than personnel time to spare.

Wild camping is fine if your staying with your outfit, my thoughts about it was when out for the day walking, all my possessions would be vulnerable.

I have seen motorhomes on seasonal pitches and owners turn up in  another vehicle so the family can use it and if they want to use the motorhome they park the car up on the pitch and go off in the motorhome . 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

52 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I have seen motorhomes on seasonal pitches and owners turn up in  another vehicle so the family can use it and if they want to use the motorhome they park the car up on the pitch and go off in the motorhome . 

Dave

Moi aussi

1 hour ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi Andy, well as Pantomine season is almost upon us all I can say is "Oh no you cant!!!"

:D :D

“You might think that, but I couldn’t possibly comment” :P

Andy

9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

We first bought a caravan with the intention of weekend use only, towing to sites around 1 hour away from home.

We then started using it for our 4x holidays.

Then 3 to 4 years back the CMC price rise at Beechwood Grange our regular weekend haunt made us think about seasonal pitches being more viable cost wise.

Start of the following season we took up a seasonal fully serviced pitch on a private site, only really looking at the cost side of things.

But the benefit of being able to arrive when we want, 6am sometimes, leave when we want makes it invaluable to us, far more than the money aspect, adding upto 6 to 7 hours on our weekends away, in essence arrive earlier leave later than a normal booking.

So for those who may think they arnt using caravan or motorhome enough maybe seasonal is the way to go.

Our caravan year is, 1st of March to 31st October, in that window 2 out of 3 weekends seasonal apart from,

February 1 week cottage rental

May 1 week in caravan

July 2  weeks in caravan 

October 1 week cottage rental

This year we managed as a working couple  63 nights usage of the caravan, which isnt an exact reflection as stated above, we dont have any restrictions on arrival/departure times for our weekends.

Ps the caravan is a 45 minute drive from home, M1, then dual carriageway A64. I mention this because a workmate made the mistake of having his caravan a 2 hour drive which he has come to hate, resulting in less usage.

Edited by Wellys and Mac
  • Like 1

Had a caravan sold it and bought a PVC which we have used far more than the caravan . Much easier to use than the caravan and can now go to places that we couldn't go to with the van.

We've had several MH's , small and large ones, in the last 10 years, but all sold and now have a caravan including a levelsystem, aircon, motormover etc. We think it's much better having a nice caravan and have our car for daytrips or when you need errands, want to go to a restaurant when it's raining etcetc. The caravan is just as quick and easy to set up as the MH. 

• Like 1

Add to this that the taxes will rise (enormously) due to diesel motors in MH's in years to come and I think MH will decrease in value at some point.

There's no reason to think that electric vans won't replace diesel, just like it's forecast electric cars will replace petrol/diesel cars. Though whether anyone has thought through the availability of overnight charging capacity at remote campsites etc is another matter.

Nobody seems to want to mention the elephant in the room i.e that to be properly green humankind has to stop travelling, in whatever form. And so much of our resources and activities are based upon travel that it's probably too big a change to contemplate.

17 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

There's no reason to think that electric vans won't replace diesel, just like it's forecast electric cars will replace petrol/diesel cars. Though whether anyone has thought through the availability of overnight charging capacity at remote campsites etc is another matter.

Nobody seems to want to mention the elephant in the room i.e that to be properly green humankind has to stop travelling, in whatever form. And so much of our resources and activities are based upon travel that it's probably too big a change to contemplate.

I wonder how much of the CMC price increase is due to the rise in overnight charging of hybrids and extra energy you see on site being used on electric pitches ?

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Yes, MH's will be replaced by electric MH's, but what about your current one? When you buy a new very expensive one now and want to sell it in say 5 to 10 years with more electric ones on the market? Probably these will decrease in value at one point or another and it makes them very difficult selling as well.

Edited by Cathy67
language

35 minutes ago, Cathy67 said:

Yes, MH's will be replaced by electric MH's, but what about your current one? When you buy a new very expensive one now and want to sell it in say 5 to 10 years with more electric ones on the market? Probably these will decrease in value at one point or another and it makes them very difficult selling as well.

At the moment electric motorhomes are 170 k which they will fall in price but I think Diesel motorhomes will still hold their value for a while in the demand .

Dave

Yes, but what's a while? Is it 4 years, 5, 8?? One thing is sure; there's gonna be a downfall.

2 minutes ago, Cathy67 said:

Yes, but what's a while? Is it 4 years, 5, 8?? One thing is sure; there's gonna be a downfall.

Motorhomes have held their value far longer than cars, in the past, but the demonisation of diesel and restrictions on where they can drive will bring diesel, and petrol, motorhomes down in price much quicker in future.

Prospective buyers now shouldn't take past depreciation as a guide.

Motorhome depreciation is 'hidden' by inflated prices and margins in the market. 

You buy a £50,000 motorhome and you'll see it on a forecourt for £40,000 in three years time. A 20% reduction doesn't seem much compared to cars. What you won't see is that the previous owner will have been given just £30,000 for that motorhome by the dealer, a 40% reduction in three years, which is much more like car depreciation. 

The dealers say they need such massive margins because motorhomes are more costly to prepare for sale ( really, a three year old vehicle?) and that they tend to hang about in stock longer (maybe something to do with excessively high prices).

Anyway depreciation can be low if you are prepared to sell privately and share the big margin with the buyer and folk seem happy to pay the current stupidly high mark ups.