Replacing bed slats

Hi guys new to the forum here, i need help I've broken the bed slats under the bench seat in my 2005 Lunar Stellar. (Nothing adventurous unfortunately just put a knee thought them) i was thinking of replacing ilthem with some hard wood boarding, has anyone done this.  

Welcome to CT

Have you thought about trying a caravan breakers to see if they have what you require?

all the best.  

Andrew

I think slats are used for weight and ventilation of the mattress 

i have fixed broken slats by purchasing suitable wood from local DIY store and using it to replace the broken ones

As said, the slats are used for ventilation - if you mean hardboard, it wouldn't be strong enough to take the weight - mdf and chipboard would be too heavy but plywood could be used.

If your existing slats are sprung, ie bowed upwards until weight put on them, then something very similar from a caravan breaker is your best option.

Edited by Black Grouse

I purchased some slightly oversize slats on eBay and cut them to size.   As they are a tad thicker than the original, I reckon they will last much longer.

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/BED-SLATS-BRAND-NEW-REPLACEMENT-6-12-24-SPRUNG-ALL-SIZES-AVAILABLE-CUT-TO-SIZE/322416112099?hash=item4b117f71e3%3Am%3AmmgUvR0NefBSV5s0A9clxtA&var=511384339284

If it’s like my Clubman then they are bowed so best find a breakers as others have said, or order from Lunar, pay extra and wait 1 year.

If they are softwood batten it can be purchased any wood merchants, just need the same cross section.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

It would be a waste to replace them with hardwood slats. As above you can buy thicker ones off eBay.

At Men In Sheds, where I volunteer, we have in stock about 60 slats. Yesterday I made 10 roadside village event signs from them. We also use them for bird tables, planters, toy trucks and engines.

Fred Drift

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

29 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

. . . mdf . . . would be too heavy . . .

Not necessarily . I used MDF for bed base replacement on a previous caravan, and by adding a number of 1" holes well spaced in a diamond pattern to maintain strength the "lid" the weight was reduced below the weight of the original slats, and adequate ventilation was still provided to the soft furnishing above. The MDF boards simply rested in the recess for the bed slats, and the lids were hinged together, but not fixed to the caravan. The disadvantage of this arrangement was that the seat cushion had to be fully removed for good access but drop down flaps to the front of the bed lockers overcame this restriction for everyday access.

P0001886.JPG P0001887.JPG

The attached images give an idea of the result before the 1" holes and drop down flaps were added.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

It would be a waste to replace them with hardwood slats. As above you can buy thicker ones off eBay.

At Men In Sheds, where I volunteer, we have in stock about 60 slats. Yesterday I made 10 roadside village event signs from them. We also use them for bird tables, planters, toy trucks and engines.

Fred Drift

If, like my Clubman, the slats are bowed hardwood or laminated, to replace them with somthing straight,flat or thicker would defeat the object of providing comfort through springing.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I do agree that bowed slats cannot be replaced with flat ones.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

35 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I do agree that bowed slats cannot be replaced with flat ones.

Unless you forego the spring and replace them all - but why do that?

My wife has back problems and needs a very hard mattress.

Next time we are in an IKEA, I'm going to look at their bed slats, they have different qualities and prices and could easily be cut down.