Sign in to follow this  
Codders

Fridge gets cold, then stops working

Hi there,

I have a Thetford N112 fridge installed in my caravan (2006).  The fridge has a manual three way control system.   The caravan itself is sited and has been for a 2 or more years, I bought it used and not having a towbar or suitable car (yet) the caravan hasn't moved.

I have read a little about how absorption fridges work, and understand that the pipes at the top rear should be hot - which they are (very much so!).  This is irrespective of gas or electric energy selection.

When we first arrive at the caravan and switch on the fridge, the freezer compartment begins to get cold - enough to cool your beer, but not enough to keep food frozen or make ice (as the manual would suggest it is capable of doing).  The main compartment doesn't get cold enough as before long the whole thing seems to stop cooling.   The pipes at the rear are still very hot.   The fridge is completely useless and regardless of the outside temperature/weather, just doesn't stay cold enough.   

I have adjusted the thermostat to various settings and nothing seems to help.   

I have a mobile caravan service engineer booked for a month's time, via remote diagnosis he suggested the thermostat could be faulty and at £15 it's worth a shot at replacing it.   Intention being to order the part so that it's here for when he services the caravan.   

The problem is that Thetford have confirmed the thermister is part of the gas valve assembly - it costs £55.   

I'm fine to spend £55 pound, but wondered if given the above description, someone else might have additional suggestions to make?

Thanks in advance

:-)

Danny

It does take several hours to cool. From your description it sounds like it’s all working, but your not giving it enough time - typically it can take 24 hours

I would wait and see what the service engineer says. Remote diagnosis is never particularly reliable except for the most obvious of issues.

It could well be that he is quoting the trade price for a suitable thermostat and Thetford are quoting their price for a whole assembly!

Thanks for the replies.   

I have left the fridge on for almost a week - so definitely not a case of waiting.

Out of interest, how would a service engineer diagnose the fault?  

Thanks

Danny

I had this same problem and realised it was because the caravan wasn't level enough. I had raised the nose on our drive at home so rain water would run off a little too much it seems. Hopefully may help you.

As above, ensure the van is level in both planes.

It sounds weird, but can work, so, if you feel brave, take the fridge out and turn it upside down for 24hrs, then put it back and see if it's any better.

It's all to do with the liquid needing to drain back to the bottom.

It seems you aren't the only one having problems. There is an earlier post here

and a number of posts on Google describing the same problem with Thetford fridges.