Elddis avante 866 stargazer light rework

Stephenx

Hi all, just purchased a new elddis avante 866. It was delivered to me on the 9yh June, we went to see it at the dealers on the 2nd June. I received a letter today dated the 8th June from Elddis advising me of the stargazer rework that is needed. Spotted that some van owners have had the same issue with Bucanners, but have not noticed any commenting who own an Avante 866.

Curious to know of any Avante 866 owners who have had the rework notice and when people got to know about it, also do dealers know about these recalls before the buyers. I am a little aggrieved as I feel this work could of been done before I received the caravan.

Hi I was notified by my dealer whilst other works were being done that the surround holding the spot lights has been modified and it will need changing when elddis have made the modified one. Compass 840.

I was contacted by my dealer re my compass casita 866 (same van) took an hour to sort

It's a common issue affecting 2018 vans with the stargazer roof.   It looks like Elddis changed how they bond the surround to the frame - 2017 vans are not currently affected.   

The fix is to screw the surround to the wooden frame and cover the screws with matching dust caps.   I am not at all a fan of the way this looks.   I have a 2017 van and if this does happen to me then I will repair it myself using some small L shaped brackets.

Just received my letter for the skylight fix, I have a brand new Buccaneer Cruiser 3 weeks old.

Come on Elddis get your act together and this fix better look the part on my so called opulent luxury van, or you will be taking it back. . 

far from happy !!!

I really don't think that Elddis monitor nor read this forum.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Perhaps someone would like to tell Elddis that it would be worth their while reading our Forum?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Address

Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd
Delves Lane
Consett
Co Durham
DH8 7PE

Phone

T: 0371 964 2113 *
F: 01207 699 001

email   customer.care@erwinhymergroup.co.uk

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Got the recall letter this am.

If anyone has a 'new build' it will be interesting to know whether the factory now fit 'mechanical fixings. ... discretely concealed with co-ordinated cover caps'!

I will wait for the dealer to do a few before I talk to them about it.

Jim

1 hour ago, jampot said:

Got the recall letter this am.

If anyone has a 'new build' it will be interesting to know whether the factory now fit 'mechanical fixings. ... discretely concealed with co-ordinated cover caps'!

I will wait for the dealer to do a few before I talk to them about it.

Jim

The 866 on display at Kimberley Caravans in Nottingham has the screw caps in full view

Caravan Stu has had his done I think, any chance of posting a photo Stu.

I got the recall letter on Monday, It's better to get the recall now rather that the roof getting damaged still is's very disappointing  and a real inconvenience.

All the 2016 models had a screw cap covers on the skylight surround but that still did not stop the skylight from falling down.   However rather have the fix than the surround come crashing down.   On our 2018 which we have had for several months there is no issue with the surround.

Spoke to Eldis today, they have confirmed in writing that  my dealer was notified 3 days before I collected. So annoying as they could of fixed at no cost to me. 200 mile round trip, day off work, etc.  

Welshman. . my van is new build, ordered end of March I received  June 9th. Alas no screws oops mechanical fixings on mine.

guessing yr sunny Wales with your username. . I am North Wales, where are you?

My stargazer surround fell off. Lucky the grandkids were not underneath. I too have had a recall.

The problem is caused by two separate issues.  

1. The vertical supports for the surround are simply held on with hot melt glue which on such a long strip cools and does not stick properly.  

2. The vertical strips are 3mm too short for the depth of the skylight, so the surround is bent out of shape putting further pressure on the ***** glue joint.  

You can check the latter by simply putting a straight edge across the surround from one side of the van to the other. If the vertical strips are long enough the surround will be flat.  

Frankly I think Elddis's response to the problem and their fix is a dreadful bodge. The surround is badly manufactured and should be replaced. Why should we have to put up with having screws through the surround to fix it. Even with the "co-ordinated coloured screw cap covers" it will still look awful and even so, problem 2 will still exist which will result in either these new screws failing or the 6 screws holding the surround to the roof failing.  

I wrote a detailed letter to them some weeks ago pointing out the fault and the problems. I am not satisfied with their response.  

It seems the glue they bought from "Pennypinchers Supermarket" has not worked as well as they had hoped.   Although we have not had an issue with the surround in question on our 2018 caravan, we have an issue with surround on the front skyscape window, the one above the three front windows.   In the warm weather it started to part company with frame.   Also the velcro strips separated from the frame as the glue was not strong enough to hold it in place.

Window trim issue.jpg

18 hours ago, Stephenx said:

Spoke to Eldis today, they have confirmed in writing that  my dealer was notified 3 days before I collected. So annoying as they could of fixed at no cost to me. 200 mile round trip, day off work, etc.  

@ Welshman. . my van is new build, ordered end of March I received  June 9th. Alas no screws oops mechanical fixings on mine.

guessing yr sunny Wales with your username. . I am North Wales, where are you?

Hi, I actually live in london but am a Swansea boy originally.    

Before you take it in, check that the surround is flat and not bent. If it is bent, then their bodge cure will not solve the problem of it falling off and possibly causing injury.  

Frankly I think Elddis are handling this safety issue very badly. I'm certainly not going to accept it. It is interesting that Elddis make no mention of this being a safety issue. Imagine if a young child is playing on the floor under it when it falls off.  

18 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Before you take it in, check that the surround is flat and not bent. If it is bent, then their bodge cure will not solve the problem of it falling off and possibly causing injury.  

Frankly I think Elddis are handling this safety issue very badly. I'm certainly not going to accept it. It is interesting that Elddis make no mention of this being a safety issue. Imagine if a young child is playing on the floor under it when it falls off.  

Do what we did and reject the caravan and get a replacement.   Our "replacement" caravan is one of the best caravans we have owned.   Sure it had a few niggles but nothing to worry about.   IMHO if they know that you rejected a previous caravan they will make sure the replacement is 100% okay.

Durbanite - On what grounds did you reject, can you reject just for a rework notice?

10 hours ago, Stephenx said:

Durbanite - On what grounds did you reject, can you reject just for a rework notice?

Like Briars we had an extensive list of faults with our 2016 caravan and the surround was one of the minor issues.

Had a look at a Lunar yesterday. They have a Stargazer roof light. Look at the surround, a really neat moulded plastic bezel with lights. Far better than the amateurish junk fitted round the Elddis.  

image.png.341f577555ecaa4e7f8acfc5a1a6d598.png

25 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Had a look at a Lunar yesterday. They have a Stargazer roof light. Look at the surround, a really neat moulded plastic bezel with lights. Far better than the amateurish junk fitted round the Elddis.  

That looks spiffing!  We have always had Lunars until 2016 and on only one did we have a major issue and it had to go back to the factory.   We moved away from Lunar when we found out that the roof could not support the weight of the air con which had to be transferred from a  previous caravan.

Apparently the fixings are above the light fittings in the Lunar -

Perhaps it's worth investigating for our Elddis / Buccaneer 'vans.

Jim