ChrisS Beard

Avondale Heron ‘Super’ renovation

It’s been awhile! But finally starting to be able to do things after the cold snaps.

i managed to pick up a rm212f fridge locally, and a bargain toilet thetford c250 of the bay 

I have recently finished sanding here’s an update :)

I’m currently in the process of filling

certainly will be more videos coming a lot quicker now

Next part 2:

sorting out the stress cracks in the grp edges of the roof and also nailing the panels together/secure ready for filling.

using a multi tool to cut a hole at the end of the stress crack and then grind out the crack itself

using a bead nailer and 19mm stainless steel nails to nail together the aluminium panels

Hope this may help some people

Next stage is filling :) still waiting for my primer to turn up but my colours are already here waiting

Part 3:

Filling is done :) I used tetrosyl 2k filler as it can be used on aluminium and plastic

next is sanding the filler

Part 4: sanding the filler is done 

Sanded with 120/240grit discs 

not much else to say :p 

Not a five minute job is it Chris? It looks like you're doing well so far though, and it's good to be able to follow your progress on video, so thanks for posting them.

Gordon

On 16/05/2019 at 08:43, Gordon said:

Not a five minute job is it Chris? It looks like you're doing well so far though, and it's good to be able to follow your progress on video, so thanks for posting them.

Gordon

Haha no not 5 minutes! Just finished the 4th coat of main colour video to upload soon, had a long break due to new baby and bad weather, trying to get cracking now it’s been a year next month! 

• Like 2

Congratulation Chris on both counts :)

When we did them we only had paper masks for filling and painting, even with the self etching primer.

The good auld days

On 17/05/2019 at 18:49, ChrisS Beard said:

Haha no not 5 minutes! Just finished the 4th coat of main colour video to upload soon, had a long break due to new baby and bad weather, trying to get cracking now it’s been a year next month! 

Not sure what I've added so far but the images below from the 1978 sales brochure may be of interest to you.

image.png

image.png

On 17/05/2019 at 21:18, Paul_B said:

Congratulation Chris on both counts :)

When we did them we only had paper masks for filling and painting, even with the self etching primer.

The good auld days

Thank you :)

getting there slowly

On 19/05/2019 at 17:13, Gordon said:

Not sure what I've added so far but the images below from the 1978 sales brochure may be of interest to you.

image.png

image.png

Many thanks I did have a scan of the 1978 brochure would of been good for a full one.

:)

I forgot about this! I’ve not been on much but will update shortly! 

So here’s part 5: painting lost most of the videos I made of the main colour due to phone memory/editing storage :( 

So it had been a while, I finished painting back in may and haven’t done anything since :(

I do however have new seals ready for the windows, all windows have been cleaned up best I can, trims all the old sealant has been removed and is ready to clean/buff up ready to go back on.

I really want to get this done ASAP as I’d like to use it this year!

February Update video

Back at it now!

Insulation on the sides is now complete, using 25mm foil backed foam insulation.
I picked these up off Facebook awhile ago for around £6 a sheet as they are rejects, they are normally around £20-25 a sheet!

Insulation Part 1! 

Monday I ordered all new:

Rear lights
Rear Triangle reflectors 
Rear number plate light
Front marker lights
7core wire
Junction box
Another tub of filler

Tomorrow I’ll be removing any staples/screws left from the strip out, and hopefully starting insulating the roof with foil membrane which is equivalent to 50mm insulation :) 

So any screws or staples are now removed, insulation of the walls and roof is complete video to follow soon:

today I started cutting the roof hardboard sheets

im painting the back with yacht varnish as I had some already :)

I also have put some small blocks of wood at the sides where there is a lot of gap between the roof supports

854CAD23-D0C3-4A9B-BFDA-5006D98B21A4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/02/2020 at 20:42, ChrisS Beard said:

So here’s part 5: painting lost most of the videos I made of the main colour due to phone memory/editing storage :( 

Never mind Chris. You're getting on well with the project, that's the main thing, so hopefully it won't be too long before you're heading off on holiday in your Heron.

image.png

No videos when I refurbished our 1967 Elddis Whirlwind but the snap above shows me starting the first coat on the roof, before adding colour to the walls and window frames.

On 28/02/2020 at 16:26, Gordon said:

Never mind Chris. You're getting on well with the project, that's the main thing, so hopefully it won't be too long before you're heading off on holiday in your Heron.

image.png

No videos when I refurbished our 1967 Elddis Whirlwind but the snap above shows me starting the first coat on the roof, before adding colour to the walls and window frames.

Was hoping to get done for somewhere this year but you never know at the minute 😏

So, insulation has now finished, below is the video for the roof and all the walls being stuck and taped :)

im now cracking on with the roof :)

almost finished but here’s is a sneak peek! 

709BC817-132E-4682-BBFE-B33F683E3E60.jpeg

• Like 1

Coming along nicely! Bonding the insulation to the skins, even though it would not have been done originally, should give you a very strong structure.

Maybe the current situation will give you enough time to finish it before the season finally starts (August hopefully?)

23 hours ago, Stevan said:

Coming along nicely! Bonding the insulation to the skins, even though it would not have been done originally, should give you a very strong structure.

Maybe the current situation will give you enough time to finish it before the season finally starts (August hopefully?)

Yes it’s a lot stronger than before, was even with just the new timbers!

roof will be finished today/tomorrow then I’ll need to measure how many plywood boards I need for the walls :) 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

The roof is finished!

safe to say I don’t want to do that again lol

the curved parts are not easy to do

C5D05770-17BF-4E47-8B3F-86983DACE389.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations, you are now past the stage where it has to get worse before it gets better!

3 hours ago, Stevan said:

Congratulations, you are now past the stage where it has to get worse before it gets better!

Yes finally feel like it’s getting better, no longer taking things out putting them back!

i have 10 sheets of ply ready to go just need to get the edging trims sorted 

Looking great, well done. I assume you have cables in for roof lights?

• I agree completely 1

21 hours ago, Ched said:

Looking great, well done. I assume you have cables in for roof lights?

Nope, I want all my cables to be easy access :) concealed but not inaccessible 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/03/2020 at 13:27, ChrisS Beard said:

Yes finally feel like it’s getting better, no longer taking things out putting them back!

i have 10 sheets of ply ready to go just need to get the edging trims sorted 

Sounds promising. It's always encouraging when things start being put back together again. I reckon you'll have one of the best sorted herons in the country before long.

47 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Sounds promising. It's always encouraging when things start being put back together again. I reckon you'll have one of the best sorted herons in the country before long.

Yes gives abit of motivation now, 

ive not seen any other heron posts on eBay or for sale, and all the ones on here are from years ago

I may have the only one left! 

• Like 1