Jump to content
ChrisS Beard

Avondale Heron ‘Super’ renovation

Recommended Posts

So on tuesday I picked up this vintage Avondale Heron, drove 2hrs back, and from my first time towing I think it was towing ok.

 

From what I can tell it has most it’s original fittings etc some missing cushions but they’ll have to be replaced anyways.

 

Little video on YouTube if you wanted to have a first look at it

 

 

Edited by ChrisS Beard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have plenty to keep you busy there.    What year is it?    What are the damp meter readings like?   If it's been standing a long time, presumably you've replaced the tyres and had the brakes checked over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but do not neglect to check for both damp and rot before you begin the project planning stage!

A full mechanical check would also be a sound start.

I would love to see it on the road when finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You won't be going on holiday just yet then??  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jaydug said:

You have plenty to keep you busy there.    What year is it?    What are the damp meter readings like?   If it's been standing a long time, presumably you've replaced the tyres and had the brakes checked over?

 

10 hours ago, Stevan said:

I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but do not neglect to check for both damp and rot before you begin the project planning stage!

A full mechanical check would also be a sound start.

I would love to see it on the road when finished.

The guy I bought it from replaced all tyres, no the brakes haven’t been checked but will be before use,

as for the damp did some readings today (joys of having a log burner)

 

Around the door and kitchen it has varying readings, but the door has obviously been resealed before not very well

 

rest of the van seems good reading under 10 even around the windows

 

:) 

25DEC88F-1265-4254-B1C3-C2D551659A74.jpeg

FDF0C1DB-DF2B-43C4-9FAA-2DFE43A485E9.jpeg

Edited by ChrisS Beard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New update to come soon just a few questions I'd like some help with

 

what adhesive do you use for attaching wall studs to aluminium? Is it only sikaflex? Or is there a cheaper option?

 

Kingspan inbetween and then plywood, or poly between and foil wrap over everything then plywood screwed on?

 

Plywood over the studs, do you need to glue it too the insulation and studs, or can I just screw into the studs?

 

the j rails and trims outside, what's the best way to get them glowing again? 

 

Also would you remove and reseal/install the rails and then paint the outside or would you remove the rails and paint the reinstall?

 

The window trims that are on at the minute are just the plain white with no rubber on the outside, would it be ok to replace with the black ones with the rubber bead on the outside to give a better water tight seal?

 

:) 

 

at the minute im thinking, remove rails, replace studwork, then reseal and attach rails, paint the outside, then go back in and start the insulating etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I did mine I used grab adhesive from Screwfix https://www. screwfix. com/p/no-nonsense-11665502-grab-adhesive-solvent-free-white-310ml/87451#_=p

The aluminium skin becomes very fragile and wobbly once the timber is taken away from it - especially around edges.    I found it best not to remove too much at one go, but to replace pieces as they are removed.    The polystyrene sheet was well fixed to the skin so I didn't remove where not necessary.   See my job here.

I used the same grab adhesive to join the wallboard to the struts and to fix the cover strips, I used window cloaking upvc fixed with white silicone

Edited by Jaydug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

When I did mine I used grab adhesive from Screwfix https://www. screwfix. com/p/no-nonsense-11665502-grab-adhesive-solvent-free-white-310ml/87451#_=p

The aluminium skin becomes very fragile and wobbly once the timber is taken away from it - especially around edges.    I found it best not to remove too much at one go, but to replace pieces as they are removed.    The polystyrene sheet was well fixed to the skin so I didn't remove where not necessary.   See my job here.

I used the same grab adhesive to join the wallboard to the struts and to fix the cover strips, I used window cloaking upvc fixed with white silicone

The poly isn’t attached lol very old :),

I know sum of the wood is attached to the rails but just wondering if it should be painted before or after fixing the rails back

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChrisS Beard said:

just wondering if it should be painted before or after fixing the rails back

 

I didn't use anything on the battens.    No preservative or paint.    I thought the adhesive might not stick too well to a treated surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well finished editing :) see wat you all think

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after a month! The awning rails are off and all other aluminium parts, windows removed, and all polystyrene! 

 

Now I can start to replace the timber

ill be using 25x38mm roof lattes which are treated already :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the door side timber has now been replaced in 25x38mm roof lattes 

 

I’m tempted to do the other side as this side is really sturdy compared to the original side

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow what a great job, that's how to build a caravan

can't wait for the next installment

 

cheers rodders:goodpost:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely looking job, but you seem to be adding a lot of timber! You need to keep an eye on how much weight you are adding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stevan said:

Lovely looking job, but you seem to be adding a lot of timber! You need to keep an eye on how much weight you are adding.

Just putting timber where it was before :) there is a lot of aluminium trims on the side that need screwing in

6 hours ago, rodders68 said:

wow what a great job, that's how to build a caravan

can't wait for the next installment

 

cheers rodders:goodpost:

Hopefully not long, have a floor video to edit when I can, currently sticking the sides to the timbers :) hopefully get started on the roof ASAP! 🤞🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very interesting project Chris and one that brought back some memories of doing similar things myself  . . . 

Elddis_Whirlwind_006.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gordon said:

A very interesting project Chris and one that brought back some memories of doing similar things myself  . . .  

:) got to put life back into to it, did you have much to do? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2018 at 11:26, ChrisS Beard said:

:) got to put life back into to it, did you have much to do? 

Only a complete rebuild Chris, one external wall at a time with mostly new timber throughout! Then refitting of the interior with home made furniture of my own design using a different layout from the original. It took a while but was worth it in the end, and we did sell it on three years later for more than I paid for it, so life was good! The most fun was while the floor was missing as a step ladder was needed to reach the ceiling! Unlike later caravans the floor was inserted between the walls, that in turn were bolted directly to the heavy steel chassis, so sealing between the two was "interesting" and required some creative thinking.

It looks like you're well on the way with your restoration so I'm sure it won't be too long before you start to fit it out. Until then, here's a little encouragement of what can be achieved. Sorry about the fuzzy image but it's a scan from a film print.

Elddis_Whirlwind_020.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2018 at 20:34, Gordon said:

Only a complete rebuild Chris, one external wall at a time with mostly new timber throughout! Then refitting of the interior with home made furniture of my own design using a different layout from the original. It took a while but was worth it in the end, and we did sell it on three years later for more than I paid for it, so life was good! The most fun was while the floor was missing as a step ladder was needed to reach the ceiling! Unlike later caravans the floor was inserted between the walls, that in turn were bolted directly to the heavy steel chassis, so sealing between the two was "interesting" and required some creative thinking.

It looks like you're well on the way with your restoration so I'm sure it won't be too long before you start to fit it out. Until then, here's a little encouragement of what can be achieved. Sorry about the fuzzy image but it's a scan from a film print.

Elddis_Whirlwind_020.jpg

 

Looks really nice! I know when ripping out it was more like why did I buy this, but now I’m starting to put things back it makes you feel like your achieving something, and the end result is a holiday home for the extending family :) 

 

hopefully pick up another pack of lattes to do the other side today, I’ll just reuse the wood that is ok on that side to repair the front window side and some bits of roof

batterns, then it’ll be onto painting roof! 🤞🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Takes me back to too many weekends in a storage field redoing the rotten parts of a Lister Salamander which is very much in the same style as those Avondales.  There was a lot of wood in that too, and the same heavy steel chassis. Newer 'vans with the foam bonded to the inner and outer panels use a lot less as the stiffness comes from that structure. Earlier ones the polystyrene (or fibreglass wadding in curved sections) adds no stiffness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2018 at 20:25, lowedb said:

Takes me back to too many weekends in a storage field redoing the rotten parts of a Lister Salamander which is very much in the same style as those Avondales.  There was a lot of wood in that too, and the same heavy steel chassis. Newer 'vans with the foam bonded to the inner and outer panels use a lot less as the stiffness comes from that structure. Earlier ones the polystyrene (or fibreglass wadding in curved sections) adds no stiffness.

Seems a lot stronger with the new timber I’ve put in, decided to take out the other side and replace with same to match the strength.

 

polystyrene in mine wasn’t even glued as well as not cut great lol providing no structure at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today I started the other side, I decided  it out to match the strength of the new timber on the opposite side :)

 

ive also stripped the roof and replaced few bits of timber in the front corner section. I’m going to be using some foil insulation on the roof. Just not sure if to remove the fibreglass insulation as it’s not going to provide much 🤔

 

Edited by ChrisS Beard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally was able to do the damp floor replacement video :) (computer issues)

 

 

 

Currently finishing off wood and stripping roof :) 

Abit itchy last night 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're doing a grand job there Chris. We're following your progress with interest :)

Gordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2018 at 08:29, Gordon said:

You're doing a grand job there Chris. We're following your progress with interest :)

Gordon.

:) trying slowly, need to lift the tarp up so I can keep the roof covered so I can start from the top outside 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...