Doosan

French Girl Drives Into The Back Of Caravan.

I was driving along the A7 Autoroute towards Nimes when all of a sudden I felt a slight jolt and my wife says what was that? I said we have been hit, so pulled up on the hard shoulder to investigate. Well when I walked round to the rear of our caravan there was a car parked up and a young girl just getting out. What she had done was hit my left hand corner and split the GPR panel and taken out my rear sidelight. My wife says to her “Was you looking where you was going “ and she said “no” Then proceeds to wave a cheque book at me and says “How much” When I told her roughly how much a new rear panel would be her face changed. Anyway long story short I called the police who arrived about 25mins later and sorted all the paperwork out, as well as breatherlising us both. I think that she was texting while coming up behind me (I was doing 54MPH) looked up and tried to miss me but caught caravan,  but I can’t prove that.  

7A4DF258-A72D-461F-A0C4-AE8A3CFC9E21.jpeg

D156F634-625D-4E5E-866C-BF9CE964F14C.jpeg

Edited by Doosan
  • Confused 1

That’s a real pain.  Where you just starting your holiday?  Will you be able to make temporary repairs to carry on?  Amazed the police came out.  I was rear ended solo, wrote my car off and scarpered.  and the police were not interested.

Best of luck.  

John

Edited by JCloughie

Plod should have taken her phone and checked her messages against the timescale. Lazy.

One of my biggest worries when travelling throgh France is being tail,ended, or side swiped as they join the motorway 

Edited by PR1
Extra text

In Spain and especially in France they like to tailgate you and pull out at the last moment.   If you happen to brake while they are tailgating the caravan, that is the end of the caravan.   On many occasions because they are so close, you cannot see they even if you have the correct and proper mirrors and can see down the sides of the caravan.

Years ago we were towing the caravan through the Burgundy countryside, and a young girl came up right behind us. ................ and stayed there.   Then she overtook us at a really fast speed, shot off rapidly and her went off the road.   We stopped but she waved us away and the car had just run into a hedge and didn't look damaged.   We set off again.    A few kilometres down the road she came speeding up behind us again, overtook - and once more ran off into the hedge!  Again she waved us away, saying 'Trop Vite, Trop Vite' (too fast) and again the car wasn't damaged.    That time we stayed to 'calm down' and set off. ........................ only to find she'd run off yet again - this time into a tree and the pompiers and ambulance were there!   Ever since we have wondered if she was doing it deliberately - perhaps in a suicide attempt.     

I have mentioned here,more than once, of our experience where we were going, in a slow queue,through a French town at teatime on a Friday. We passed a man lighting a cigarette in a small offshoot and 30 seconds later he hit us on the side doing a fair bit of damage to the caravan side,but nothing to our hired car! He shot into a chemists and came out 30 seconds later saying he had called the Police!

He claimed Priorite a droit and pointed out the lack of marking on his lane end. ..after calling his Canadian boss who helped with paperwork the chemist came out and said police won't be coming,they asked who the parties were and when told we were English asked if we were dead, being told no they said they had better things to do!

That was the first night of a six week holiday and gaffer tape was well used. .....

We lost the case.

geoff

I am a great believer in dash cams. Recently I supposedly knocked an old lady off her bike.  After listening of everything I had done wrong, I looked at the video when at home, to discover I was not at fault and that she had ridden into my car. A copy of the video was sent to her and she rolled over and I never  heard anymore from her.

I was driving my Citroen XM through a town and a local in another XM who had parked, opened his door. Into my car.  Much more damage to his car as mine pushed his door into the A frame.

We filled in my international clam form.  I could not read his part, not just because it was in French, but the handwriting was illegible.  I asked a few onlookers to be witnesses,  all refused.

I passed this on to my insurers, never heard anything else.

John

On 15/06/2018 at 22:09, JCloughie said:

That’s a real pain.  Where you just starting your holiday?  Will you be able to make temporary repairs to carry on?  Amazed the police came out.  I was rear ended solo, wrote my car off and scarpered.  and the police were not interested.

Best of luck.  

John

John, we had been over here about a week and were driving to another site when this happend. I called the police as to me she didn’t seem right either been drinking or drugs but was clear drinking didn’ t do a drug wipe. I have duck taped it together for now but can’t do anything about the red part of the tail light, unless I can get hold of some red plastic from somewhere .    

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doosan said:

John, we had been over here about a week and were driving to another site when this happend. I called the police as to me she didn’t seem right either been drinking or drugs but was clear drinking didn’ t do a drug wipe. I have duck taped it together for now but can’t do anything about the red part of the tail light, unless I can get hold of some red plastic from somewhere .    

Dave

Good luck.  Bricolage have it all.  I spend hours in them shops.

John

John

• Thanks 1

I had someone run into the back of my caravan on the Milan ring road last year with over £1000 worth of damage. Fortunately she was insured with an international insurance company with offices near my home town so I was able to settle everything directly with them and my insurance wasn't even involved.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lutz said:

I had someone run into the back of my caravan on the Milan ring road last year with over £1000 worth of damage. Fortunately she was insured with an international insurance company with offices near my home town so I was able to settle everything directly with them and my insurance wasn't even involved.

Thank you for your reply. I will look into that when I return home the end of next week.

I have telephoned my local dealer (Near Maidstone) to chase up the quote for the Insurance company (5Cs CAMC) and was told that they had shown the pictures to a company that repairs plastics and they told them that the damage can't be repaired. So this means a whole new rear section (Not cheap) and waiting for Baileys to get back to them with a price and availability. I am now hoping that the repair doesn't work out costing more the caravan is worth, so making it a write off. I now need to find out what my caravan is worth, at a guess I am thinking about £4500. Just waiting for the quote to come through now, hopefully, next week and then send all the paperwork of the Insurance company.

23 minutes ago, Doosan said:

I have telephoned my local dealer (Near Maidstone) to chase up the quote for the Insurance company (5Cs CAMC) and was told that they had shown the pictures to a company that repairs plastics and they told them that the damage can't be repaired. So this means a whole new rear section (Not cheap) and waiting for Baileys to get back to them with a price and availability. I am now hoping that the repair doesn't work out costing more the caravan is worth, so making it a write off. I now need to find out what my caravan is worth, at a guess I am thinking about £4500. Just waiting for the quote to come through now, hopefully, next week and then send all the paperwork of the Insurance company.

Isn't the 5cs new for old?  If not maybe consider buying back the caravan from the insurance company and get it fixed yourself?

• Thanks 1

5Cs new for old is only for the first 5 years and super 5Cs for the first 10 years.

Ian

22 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Isn't the 5cs new for old?  If not maybe consider buying back the caravan from the insurance company and get it fixed yourself?

That had crossed my mind and did a search for a rear panel and found 0ne for £750. So will have to wait and see what the Insurance company says.

On 20/06/2018 at 21:15, Lutz said:

That's interesting Lutz.   UK insurers require ALL incidents to be reported regardless of blame and will then, invariably,  adjust the renewal to reflect the claim. According to the old adage it's a  No Claim Discount not a No Blame Discount.

Edited by beejay
  • Like 1

Coincidentally I read a post on a Coachman Owners Facebook page just last week where a similar thing had happened. The girl was texting and arrested at the scene. Her car was stuck under the back of the caravan. Have to say I’m amazed that the damage wasn’t greater on the van! 

9D222802-A857-4C5F-B964-D6BECF855CB5.jpeg

DAA5CF89-399E-40D8-BC78-967A2886D229.jpeg

22 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

Coincidentally I read a post on a Coachman Owners Facebook page just last week where a similar thing had happened. The girl was texting and arrested at the scene. Her car was stuck under the back of the caravan. Have to say I’m amazed that the damage wasn’t greater on the van! 

Very hard to believe that’s the same accident.  The van should have been demolished.

John

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Very hard to believe that’s the sam accident.  The van should have been demolished.

John

I think that the car, under braking, actually went under the van and got wedged in the chassis. Maybe Coachmans are better after all. 😂

Glen.

Ouch! If you want to repair the light so it shines legally, hunt around for red insulating tape. It's surprisingly translucent and should be a good enough bodge until you get home.

• Thanks 1

On 16/06/2018 at 11:27, Durbanite said:

In Spain and especially in France they like to tailgate you and pull out at the last moment.   If you happen to brake while they are tailgating the caravan, that is the end of the caravan.   On many occasions because they are so close, you cannot see they even if you have the correct and proper mirrors and can see down the sides of the caravan.

No different from the UK tailgaters everywhere. I had a car hit the back of my van years ago in London by the Abbeywood site. Just driven Spain and Portugal only real difference roads not as busy as here + less potholes and diversions. Arrived back in Portsmouth went to Rookesbury park CMC site and the B road for the site ( was blocked off) and had a diversion of several miles to get there.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 21:09, JCloughie said:

Best of luck.  

John

You just need to tell the Police that you think the other driver is drunk and they are there in. .....90 minutes! As did a French driver when I had an 'incident!'

Coming out of a village (so 50 kmh limit) a van driver came heading towards me at speed. I braked and stopped and he went down a ditch in front of me.

Being courteous, I stopped to assist him, I heard him explain on his phone that his brakes had failed, which he later denied. I pulled him out of the ditch to hear him accuse me of causing the accident. The Police arrived and I showed them my dashcam footage, which I downloaded to my laptop.

We were both breathalysed (I had been wine tasting), despite Halfords still trying to convince everyone that they need to carry their own breathalyser kits (complete nonsense as the proposal was never passed in France, but I guess you need to get rid of a million kits somehow?), I blew and then held my breath, whilst trying to think what the reading should be under in France! Bizarrely it showed 0. 0? But I was happy with that! Perhaps it was the 90 minute wait that did it?

His van was held together with zip ties, which I photographed and provided to my insurer as evidence along with the video.  

Six months later, I heard from my insurer, LV, to say that the case had been settled. ....100% my fault!

And despite my endless telephone calls and letters of complaint, they would not move on the fault claim!

Never again will I ever insure with LV!

I had a different result with L V I sent them a copy of my dash cam footage, 6 weeks later I received a cheque to cover my  excess and out of pocket expenses plus a letter stating that it was totally the fault of the third party and that they had recovered 100% of the claim and a notation to that effect would be added to my file.