Sign in to follow this  
Colnvan

VOLVO XC60

Does anyone tow with a volvoxc60. I have a 2016  volvo 4 2 wheel drive. I have a 2018 bailey pegasus gt70 caravan. The rear fog lamps on caravan will not light up. I have had the towbar electrics checked twice and they say its fine and it does light up the rear fog lamp on my camping trailer. I have had the caravan checked yesterday by the dealer who used their tester and another car ( not volvo ) and caravan fog lights worked. Both experts seem to think its the volvo wiring not allowing the lights to work for some reason. Has anyone got any ideas. I telephoned Volvo but because they didn't fit towbar they weren't very helpful. I suppose next step is an auto electrician ?

If the Volvo canbus doesn't recognise non-Volvo towing electrics/electronics it could be that you need to fit a Volvo towing module and have the appropriate software update.   Having said that, if the rear fogs are ok with your camping trailer then there may be other issues.   Does the Bailey use led lamps that could be an issue?

After one bad experience with non-Volvo towing electrics I've always had  a Volvo main dealer fit their module.   Never had a bad attitude from the dealers I've dealt with even though the towbar(s) weren't Volvo ones.   They were quite happy to fit their modules and update software f. o. c.   The benefit from the Volvo towing electronics is very worthwhile.  

Try a different Volvo dealer?   An independent expert may well be a good alternative but only Volvo have their own software.  

4 hours ago, Colnvan said:

Does anyone tow with a volvoxc60. I have a 2016  volvo 4 2 wheel drive. I have a 2018 bailey pegasus gt70 caravan. The rear fog lamps on caravan will not light up. I have had the towbar electrics checked twice and they say its fine and it does light up the rear fog lamp on my camping trailer. I have had the caravan checked yesterday by the dealer who used their tester and another car ( not volvo ) and caravan fog lights worked. Both experts seem to think its the volvo wiring not allowing the lights to work for some reason. Has anyone got any ideas. I telephoned Volvo but because they didn't fit towbar they weren't very helpful. I suppose next step is an auto electrician ?

Hi, we have the same problems with our Kuga. If we remove one of the bulbs it then works, also a LED bulb will work, just not very bright.  On the Kuga, switching them on and off 3 times will make them both work. Strange but on the rare occasions they are needed it will  get you by.

Dave.

15 hours ago, daveandjude said:

Hi, we have the same problems with our Kuga. If we remove one of the bulbs it then works, also a LED bulb will work, just not very bright.  On the Kuga, switching them on and off 3 times will make them both work. Strange but on the rare occasions they are needed it will  get you by.

Dave.

Many thanks. Will try that as it's driving me crazy. Cheers