Sign in to follow this  
wombal

hook up query

Hi just wondering what the max load you can put on electrical hookup  as I was recently on a site and the electric kept tripping out, was told that it was because there was a couple of vans with underfloor heating that was taking a lot of power out the electric so when the on site shower was in use this then caused the electric hook ups to trip. which then caused the shower to be closed so had to use are own washing facilities in van. I thought this was a bit strange got me thinking the site owners were being a bit strict with the electric use, any thoughts on this as I was thinking all electric hook ups where individual circuits isolated so why would other peoples usage effect everyone else and the single site shower ? maybe the site owners have some sort of meter reading and didn't like the amount of electric that was being consumed sorry wofflling on but it really is tickle tackling if that's the case you pay for hook up so you shouldn't be getting policed on what and how much you use and how long you spend in your van and the like. am I wrong or is there some kind of etiquette that I'm missing about the whole issue many thanks any thoughts on this very interested cheers.  

The load is the amps drawn, in the UK the EHU are rated to 16A per socket outlet, so if you exceed this it will trip, however the breakers can get get tired with frequent tripping and will trip at less than the rated load. If there is another outlet on the EHU or another EHU post nearby, the try another outlet.

It could be right!

I think its quite normal for the site supply sometimes to be less than the sum of the supply to all the pitches. Upgrading the site supply may be cost prohibitive for a business.   The alternative for a campsite might be to reduce the amperage at each pitch to say 10Amps or even 6 Amps. However that would be an over -kill if the site isn't even full for the majority of the time. Housing estates are just the same - If every house took the maximum per house, the whole street would finish up in darkness. It would be unlikely to happen because householders have a metered supply so their electric bills would be unaffordable.  

It varies! Sometimes hook-ups will be rated at 15A, 10A or 6A, or occasionally others. However, many, if not most, sites are not capable of providing the full rated output at each hookup point at the same time, for example you may find ten or more 10A hook-ups on a 60A supply, the assumption being that it will never happen that every point will be called upon to deliver its full output at the same time. Along comes a cold Easter bank holiday weekend, with a nearly full site and everyone turns their heaters up to full. .....

Some sites are worse for this than others.

48 minutes ago, wombal said:

Hi just wondering what the max load you can put on electrical hookup  as I was recently on a site and the electric kept tripping out, was told that it was because there was a couple of vans with underfloor heating that was taking a lot of power out the electric so when the on site shower was in use this then caused the electric hook ups to trip. which then caused the shower to be closed so had to use are own washing facilities in van. I thought this was a bit strange got me thinking the site owners were being a bit strict with the electric use, any thoughts on this as I was thinking all electric hook ups where individual circuits isolated so why would other peoples usage effect everyone else and the single site shower ? maybe the site owners have some sort of meter reading and didn't like the amount of electric that was being consumed sorry wofflling on but it really is tickle tackling if that's the case you pay for hook up so you shouldn't be getting policed on what and how much you use and how long you spend in your van and the like. am I wrong or is there some kind of etiquette that I'm missing about the whole issue many thanks any thoughts on this very interested cheers.  

A caravan with underfloor will draw no more from the supply than a caravan without underfloor heating.   Actually it will probably use less power.

• Like 1

Just now, Durbanite said:

A caravan with underfloor will draw no more from the supply than a caravan without underfloor heating.   Actually it will probably use less power.

I agree, the consumption of under floor heating is much less than the 1000/2000 Kw Ultraheat blown air heaters installed in caravans.

Would have thought the site shower block would be on its own circuit, and if that causing tripping then that faulty.

Did the site owner quickly restore your connection or have you suffer?

To add to the confusion, I was recently on a site where the voltage kept dropping - we were getting 208v at the bollard.   The outcome was that our fridge would set off an alarm constantly as it was sensitive to the drop.

2 minutes ago, thewelshman said:

To add to the confusion, I was recently on a site where the voltage kept dropping - we were getting 208v at the bollard.   The outcome was that our fridge would set off an alarm constantly as it was sensitive to the drop.

Have had that was due to length of cable.

59 minutes ago, David Park said:

Would have thought the site shower block would be on its own circuit, and if that causing tripping then that faulty.

Did the site owner quickly restore your connection or have you suffer?

The shower had a sign put up saying out of order  cause of the electric being tripped a lot David, this site has gone a bit picki over electric the last few times we've been now you have to pay a pound for a ten min shower and there was talk of having metered hookup  its only a small CS site so you get the feeling its being directed at ones self 

9 minutes ago, thewelshman said:

We've been on a couple like that. My mate was on a CCC site where it was below 200. The voltage dropped as the site filled up. He had a refund off the club when he complained.

Edited by Ern

9 minutes ago, Ern said:

We've been on a couple like that. My mate was on a CCC site where it was below 200. The voltage dropped as the site filled up. He had a refund off the club when he complained.

sorry Ern below 200 not getting that ? the site I was talking about is CCC  but a small CS site with only up to 5 pitches 

29 minutes ago, Ern said:

This was a camping and caravanning club site in Nottingham, they refused any kind of refund, stating I was paying for a pitch.    Very poor service

18 minutes ago, wombal said:

sorry Ern below 200 not getting that ? the site I was talking about is CCC  but a small CS site with only up to 5 pitches 

200 volts - minimum most equipment needs is 220v

9 minutes ago, thewelshman said:

This was a camping and caravanning club site in Nottingham, they refused any kind of refund, stating I was paying for a pitch.    Very poor service

oh right doh!! 

58 minutes ago, Ern said:

Just to clarify. The site was a Camping and Caravanning Club - club site (Corfe Castle) and the supply voltage dropped below 200Volts.

19 minutes ago, Ern said:

Just to clarify. The site was a Camping and Caravanning Club - club site (Corfe Castle) and the supply voltage dropped below 200Volts.

yes got you, how you know when the voltage dropped? was that by looking on caravan metre or something ?

The mains voltage in the UK is specified to be 230 v +10%/-6% so should be between 253v and 216v volts so any equipment should work satisfactorily providing the voltage remains between those levels.

Any less and it might not, any more and it might be damaged.

Providing the infrastructure for a generous supply costs money and many site operators are just not willing to fork out that level of cash in the short term.

18 minutes ago, matelodave said:

The mains voltage in the UK is specified to be 230 v +10%/-6% so should be between 253v and 216v volts so any equipment should work satisfactorily providing the voltage remains between those levels.

Any less and it might not, any more and it might be damaged.

I would think that most electrical equipment will operate below 200v.   A TV will have a smaller picture on the screen.   You are correct about damage because if voltage is below 200v and then suddenly surges you may have an issue.

22 minutes ago, wombal said:

yes got you, how you know when the voltage dropped? was that by looking on caravan metre or something ?

The warden put a voltage tester on the bollard, around half the site was having the issue

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I would think that most electrical equipment will operate below 200v.   A TV will have a smaller picture on the screen.   You are correct about damage because if voltage is below 200v and then suddenly surges you may have an issue.

Modern caravan fridges certainly don't!  They do sound an alarm though!

7 minutes ago, thewelshman said:

The warden put a voltage tester on the bollard, around half the site was having the issue

Modern caravan fridges certainly don't!  They do sound an alarm though!

With the fridge you can always switch to gas but not with a TV although there may be a lot of hot gas coming from it when there is a politician talking.   LOL!  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thewelshman said:

European standard variation is 216-253 volts, nominally 230 volts but the UK is typically 240 volts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wombal said:

My mate knew something was wrong as the performance was useless. He tested it with a voltmeter, and informed the site warden. Later he complained to HQ and received a site voucher as compensation. It was something to do with long distance to the pitch - not sure of details.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ern said:

My mate knew something was wrong as the performance was useless. He tested it with a voltmeter, and informed the site warden. Later he complained to HQ and received a site voucher as compensation. It was something to do with long distance to the pitch - not sure of details.

"long distance to the pitch?" A cop out if ever I heard one! The problem was inadequate size of cable for the distance! Electricity can travel huge distances without excessive voltage drop if the cable is thick enough for the current required. If the cable is insufficient for the rating of the breakers they should fit lower rated breakers and inform customers accordingly.

Better to have reliable 6A supplies than unreliable 15A supplies. At least then you know where you stand and what you are paying for.

Edited by Stevan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Sorry to sound rude, but you, like myself are showing your age. 😄

Cathode ray tubes needed enough power for the electron beam to scan the tube face.

Low voltage, and I remember this happening with old 405 line tv's in the winter will result in an horizontally squashed picture.

With LCD tvs (and plasma and OLED)  illuminate the pixels that are effectively printed or etched on the screen.

Therefore the picture cannot change shape, it can however get dimmer, and what I've found with a 12V set is that the sound fails with low voltage, whereas the picture,  which works at 5V through its internal electronics carries on.

Most modern LCD (LED illuminated)  sets work worldwide from 100V to 240V, so are unlikely to cause an issue.

Edited by bspks
Spelling issues
  • Like 1