Alko AKS 3004 hitch problem

xtrailman

On my last tour when unhitching the caravan on site a piece of plastic fell out onto the floor.

Not having a clue what it was I looked into the Swift manual (my 2017 caravan still has one), and identified it as the front stabilizer pad!

Turns out the pad had sheared off where the screw secures it, since 2004 I have used AKS and never had this before, I'm interested to read if anyone else has either, and what they think caused it.

I'm thinking perhaps the Milenco NW gauge my have contributed.

36 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

On my last tour when unhitching the caravan on site a piece of plastic fell out onto the floor.

Not having a clue what it was I looked into the Swift manual (my 2017 caravan still has one), and identified it as the front stabilizer pad!

Turns out the pad had sheared off where the screw secures it, since 2004 I have used AKS and never had this before, I'm interested to read if anyone else has either, and what they think caused it.

I'm thinking perhaps the Milenco NW gauge my have contributed.

Not answering your question but my local Dealer told me some time ago that the front and rear pads have never been changed at his site due to wear, only breakages.   I suppose that's because pitching is over a significantly less arc than when turning etc.

Can't see how the Milenco could have caused it - more likely 'dropping' the hitch onto the ball when slightly off centre.   I do this quite regularly - not saying you do!

Alko's model type.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• 1 month later...

Just had the same problem with my relatively new Coachman. Only used the caravan 4 times since new and when unhitching, the hitch was tight, and when it came off the front friction pad fell out on the floor. Anyone got any experience in fixing this issue? I need it fixed quickest as we have other trips planned soon.

Myself and 3 others have had this issue with the front pad single screw fixing shearing off.

It's  a 10 min job with the correct size torn driver . I  sourced my spare locally for around £23 From a caravan repair workshop, instructions are inside the swift manual.

I kept the receipt and Alko sent a spare set, you get the front and rear pad in the set, claimed through the dealer.