Sign in to follow this  
Nilrem

Solar tyre pressure monitors

I am thinking of buying a set of tyre pressure monitors for my single axle caravan. I don't have the opportunity of using my cigarette lighter socket to power the unit so I am considering a solar powered unit such as that sold by Tyre Pal.

Can anyone advise on wether the Tyre Pal solar 4 monitor is suitable for a caravan or can anyone recommend another solution.  

I apologise if this question has been asked before but I haven't been able to find a relevant post.

I'm not going to be too much help here but. ....

I have a solar power tyre monitor. It may or may not be a Tyrepal.   Probably, knowing me, it is a Chinese clone.

Works well. The solar is just to charge the battery, so you don't need it perched on the dash all the time.

I don't think the low pressure alarm works. .... You need all four sensors on for this to apply. I did at one time put the 2 spare sensors on my car rear wheels but most of them time I don't bother.

Useful bit of kit.

I could be wrong but I didn't think the TyrePal Solar range was suìtable for trailers?

From their website, 'The Solar Colour is not suitable for caravans or trailers – to monitor these types of vehicles please refer to our TC215B systems.'

46 minutes ago, Griff said:

I could be wrong but I didn't think the TyrePal Solar range was suìtable for trailers?

From their website, 'The Solar Colour is not suitable for caravans or trailers – to monitor these types of vehicles please refer to our TC215B systems.'

I missed that. Thanks

1 hour ago, nilrem77 said:

. ........ I don't have the opportunity of using my cigarette lighter socket to power the unit so I am considering a solar powered unit such as that sold by Tyre Pal. ......

On the subject of charging and no cigarette charger socket being available, I have a TC215/B which once charged lasts a lot of journeys.

I guess something like the pack below would charge a TC215/B.

20180608_083742.thumb.png.cfd4d9c3853948eb689999f8909b690b.png

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

On the subject of charging and no cigarette charger socket being available, I have a TC215/B which once charged lasts a lot of journeys.

Thats interesting. I have a free socket in the boot. Is the display unit "fixed" in the car?

3 minutes ago, nilrem77 said:

Thats interesting. I have a free socket in the boot. Is the display unit "fixed" in the car?

My display is positioned suckered to the windscreen in the bottom N/S corner not obstructing my view, I can see it easily but my wife usually keeps an eye on the readings.

Only had to charge it up once last year.

Our display is about as far away from the sensors as you can get, twin axle with Discovery 4 and no problem with the signal over that distance.

Just done another 200 miles, reassuring to have running in the background.

Have a gander at the newish Michelin versions - slightly different concept but better IMO

10 minutes ago, SamD said:

Michelin versions

They look just the job. Solar powered as well. They seem to be about the same price for 6 wheels.

I use one of these kits:-

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Carchet-Wireless-RV-Solar-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-System-TPMS-6-External-Sensor/252940619766?epid=882240633&hash=item3ae46f8ff6:g:KYUAAOSwONBZGluO

Four sensors on the car wheels and the other two on the caravan.    The monitor sits on the dash and the light keeps it charged.    It's been in use for a year now.    The monitor goes to sleep shortly after motion stops and wakes as soon as the door is slammed shut.    The read out alternates between the four positions for the car, then two for the caravan.    It sounds a warning if pressures drop or go beyond the temperature you've programmed it for.    It looks exactly the same as one of tyrepal's models except for the logo.

If you google them or look on eBay you can get the previous model that had a round display for a bit less, that’s the version i bought a few months back, also roadpro do a small discount for caravan club members if you want the latest model

I use a Tyrepal Solar 6 on my twin axle without any issue.

Monitors the four caravan tyres plus the spare underneath.

On 08/06/2018 at 10:12, nilrem77 said:

They look just the job. Solar powered as well. They seem to be about the same price for 6 wheels.

I looked at that one but more cost in the long run batteries last 2 years and cannot be changed you have to buy new sensors that will set you back £100, shame really as i think its the best system its so simple

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

I looked at that one but more cost in the long run batteries last 2 years and cannot be changed you have to buy new sensors that will set you back £100, shame really as i think its the best system its so simple

Could you let us know where that info came from please?  Am considering purchase.

7 hours ago, SamD said:

Could you let us know where that info came from please?  Am considering purchase.

I got onto  Michelin as seemed a bad point for me now the new ones last for 3 to 5 years so looks much better, they have updated the software system   and its now about £140 with 6 sensors and a electronic tyre gauge be aware some on cheap site may not be the latest get direct from Michelin, i am awaiting email from them regards some questions i asked .  

4 hours ago, Flynn said:

I got onto  Michelin as seemed a bad point for me now the new ones last for 3 to 5 years so looks much better, they have updated the software system   and its now about £140 with 6 sensors and a electronic tyre gauge be aware some on cheap site may not be the latest get direct from Michelin, i am awaiting email from them regards some questions i asked .  

Very helpful thanks.   Could you copy their replies here when you get the email?

On 28/06/2018 at 01:52, tramman said:

I use a Tyrepal Solar 6 on my twin axle without any issue.

Monitors the four caravan tyres plus the spare underneath.

Do you have to use all 6 monitors?

I asked Tyrepal about the Solar 4 specifically why they said that it wasn't suitable for caravans. I was told that the Solar 4 can be used with a caravan but that all 4 monitors had to be in use for the system to work. So they would work fine with a twin axle but that a single axle would require the user to put a set of monitors on the 2 rear tyres for example.

I would rather put a 3rd monitor on the caravan spare tyre and not use the 4th monitor.

34 minutes ago, nilrem77 said:

Do you have to use all 6 monitors?

I asked Tyrepal about the Solar 4 specifically why they said that it wasn't suitable for caravans. I was told that the Solar 4 can be used with a caravan but that all 4 monitors had to be in use for the system to work. So they would work fine with a twin axle but that a single axle would require the user to put a set of monitors on the 2 rear tyres for example.

I would rather put a 3rd monitor on the caravan spare tyre and not use the 4th monitor.

3rd and 4th on both spares - car and van?

39 minutes ago, SamD said:

3rd and 4th on both spares - car and van?

I think Monitors 1 and 2 have to be on the same pressure tyres and also 3 and 4. When they are set up with the monitoring unit I believe you do it in pairs. I thought of your suggestion but I am not sure that is possible because of the different tyre pressures. Perhaps someone who has this type of monitor can clarify the question.

Edited by nilrem77

1 hour ago, nilrem77 said:

I think Monitors 1 and 2 have to be on the same pressure tyres and also 3 and 4. When they are set up with the monitoring unit I believe you do it in pairs. I thought of your suggestion but I am not sure that is possible because of the different tyre pressures. Perhaps someone who has this type of monitor can clarify the question.

You may well be right.   I have the older Solar with 4 'do dahs' but I only used 2 - and they didn't work!  Been in my garage for yonks.

I have the pre solar TB99 4 sensor kit specifically sold for cars and motorhomes, but I use just two sensors on the caravan.

Works fine, even with the "spare" two sensors in the box which can be often many hundreds of miles away.

The only issue I had, was realising a persistent but cyclic drop out was down to my body shielding the signal from the off side sensor; relocating the monitor on the dash solved that without the cost and complication of adding their advised "relay station" booster thing.

The monitor holds enough charge for several months and only takes a few hours to recharge when needed, which can be done in any DC socket, even the caravan's.

If the solar's monitor requires all sensors to be active that seems a very retrograde move, four times as likely just a single duff sensor will take the unit out.

It does screw up cheapskates like me buying the cheapest system for just my two sensor SA van requirement and push one to the more expensive trailer models.

Sensor batteries last about two years, are dirt cheap via Amazon to source, and take less than a minute or two to change.

Edited by JTQ