Sign in to follow this  
wombal

American Travel Trailer

Hi to one and all its been a little while, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in owning and touring with these Travel trailers, as Im looking to be buying new caravan very soon and these look very nicely equipped and very interested in the slide outs, any info would be very much appreciated, also any body have any other ideas  thanks in advance 

Providing you have the appropriate licence and towing vehicle the only problem, apart from the size of 5th wheelers and American travel homes relative to minor roads in the UK, is finding a site that will accept them. We run an American motorhome and while our choice of sites is restricted we always talk to the site owner before booking, to confirm it will be accepted and access is practical. The size can be imposing so care is needed in pitching so not to spoil any view enjoyed by other site users. Owing to the weight we always opt for hard standing if it is available.

I hope this is some help.

Gordon.

Image 1

Edited by Gordon
Image added

The main issue is the weight as the US travel trailer manufacturers don't worry about weight restrictions as much as us over here . Expect a 3500 kg mam and possibly a imperial ball of 2 or 3 inch and a electric brake system depending on supplier/dealer and you don't get long warranties like European makes as US manufacturers give only one year from new and no warranty outside the US .

Over  7 m long body length and it will require a vehicle with a GVW over 3500 kg . If your looking for a larger outfit then a 5th wheel will allow upto 12 m long trailer but you are limited then to pickup type vehicle .

As so remember any parts for repair have to come from the US and postage will add a lot of cost .

Example a 5 th wheel hitch that costs about £150 in the US will cost about £700 here .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

On 07/06/2018 at 04:17, CommanderDave said:

The main issue is the weight as the US travel trailer manufacturers don't worry about weight restrictions as much as us over here . Expect a 3500 kg mam and possibly a imperial ball of 2 or 3 inch and a electric brake system depending on supplier/dealer and you don't get long warranties like European makes as US manufacturers give only one year from new and no warranty outside the US .

Over  7 m long body length and it will require a vehicle with a GVW over 3500 kg . If your looking for a larger outfit then a 5th wheel will allow upto 12 m long trailer but you are limited then to pickup type vehicle .

As so remember any parts for repair have to come from the US and postage will add a lot of cost .

Example a 5 th wheel hitch that costs about £150 in the US will cost about £700 here .

Dave

I just spent $2000 on my fifth wheel hitch. I dont know of any that would go for 150 pounds. Wish they did. Most American fithwheels average about 30 foot in length although you can certainly get smaller ones.  The light ones will weigh in at around 5000 pounds. We pull with 1/2 ton on up class trucks (Ford F-150's, Chevy 1500's etc.). The fifthwheel style would be a nice advantage in the U. K. because it shortens the over all length up nicely with part of the trailer hanging over the bed. They are wildly stable too. I used to pull a trailer full of quad bikes behind my fifth wheel without problems. I had an uncle do it with a pull style trailer and he wrecked the whole thing, truck, trailers, and quad bikes because it was unstable.  Are slide outs not common on trailers in the U. K. ? They also make a very nice addition by adding a lot of extra room once you get set up. I have never seen a Toyota or a Nissan pulling a fifthwheel here, but Im sure it can be done. I dont imagine Ford F-350's are common over there? They wouldnt be practical on U. K. roads, and Im guessing finding parking space for one just wouldn't happen.  You are right about U. S. trailer warranties-they suck. You get a year on the whole trailer, usually ten years on the roof. Anything more than that costs extra.

Thanks for all your help much to think about maybe it would be a good idea for using them for seasonal use rather then constantly towing all over maybe that way you could have someone/ firm or dealer site it for you just thinking of all options cheers to you all.

On 11/06/2018 at 21:48, ML64 said:

I just spent $2000 on my fifth wheel hitch. I dont know of any that would go for 150 pounds. Wish they did. Most American fithwheels average about 30 foot in length although you can certainly get smaller ones.  The light ones will weigh in at around 5000 pounds. We pull with 1/2 ton on up class trucks (Ford F-150's, Chevy 1500's etc.). The fifthwheel style would be a nice advantage in the U. K. because it shortens the over all length up nicely with part of the trailer hanging over the bed. They are wildly stable too. I used to pull a trailer full of quad bikes behind my fifth wheel without problems. I had an uncle do it with a pull style trailer and he wrecked the whole thing, truck, trailers, and quad bikes because it was unstable.  Are slide outs not common on trailers in the U. K. ? They also make a very nice addition by adding a lot of extra room once you get set up. I have never seen a Toyota or a Nissan pulling a fifthwheel here, but Im sure it can be done. I dont imagine Ford F-350's are common over there? They wouldnt be practical on U. K. roads, and Im guessing finding parking space for one just wouldn't happen.  You are right about U. S. trailer warranties-they suck. You get a year on the whole trailer, usually ten years on the roof. Anything more than that costs extra.

We have a number of 5 th wheel dealers here in the UK that import units and pickups from the States that people use for touring about 26 -30 ft and the larger units as static holiday homes .

One as example .

http://ccrv. co. uk

Dave

Sign in to follow this