Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Is France more expensive now?

The cost of fuel especially diesel seems to have really jumped up as it is €1. 57 a litre.   Also quite a few of the basic stuff like milk, bread etc also seems to have gone up since our last visit.   Luckily ACSI campsites still seem reasonably priced.  

Is it just us or have others noticed the increase in prices?

Diesel where I am in Northern Brittany is 1. 43€ / l.

The exchange rate has made all of the eurozone expensive compared to pre-referendum but we haven't noticed much of an increase in weekly shopping.

The cost of fuel has gone up everywhere and the exchange rate is about the same as it was this time last year.  Nothing we can do about these things except pay up and look happy.  I'll not let it spoil my annual pilgrimage to France which will start a week on Monday.   🙂 

John.

• Like 1

Diesel down here in Le Barcares is €1. 44.  

Food does however seem to have risen a bit since last year though, but not by more than 5%.

important is cheap though.

The mobility scooter that Lizzie hires is €100 less than last year! So that helps with the rise in food prices.

10 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

The cost of fuel has gone up everywhere and the exchange rate is about the same as it was this time last year. 🙂

Your right on both counts but France has always been much cheaper than the UK, especially on diesel.    I remember a few years ago when there was such a big difference in the diesel price that on day trips many people carried empty 25 litre cans out with them.      Just a couple of weeks ago at Carrefour in Calais a fill up cost me just 50p less than what I could have paid at Asda.

Macron has removed the tax subsidy that diesel used to enjoy

I went over to Belgium in 2015, and whilst there, had a trip into France (was visiting my OH's uncle's military grave), and went into the supermarket, and found that a lot of things was about the same price as over here.   And why does majority of people think its the fault of coming out of the EU, I remember when it went really down back in 2008 (give or take), worse than it is now, and that was before the referendum.

great first time to france with the caravan this year, and everything has gone up, ,,

1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

And why does majority of people think its the fault of coming out of the EU, I remember when it went really down back in 2008 (give or take), worse than it is now, and that was before the referendum.

I think only one person mentioned that, not sure it makes a majority.

The 2008-ish change was the financial crisis which took time to hit Europe, we used to travel to Germany a lot and get £1-€1. 55ish with ease but it changed at this time and hasn’t really recovered much, the £ was always overvalued against the € anyway and at least this helps exports.  The best I can think of since 2008 is about £1-€1. 25 but there have been times in the past decade we’ve been close to parity. Last week we were getting £1-€1. 14 which is the best I’ve seen for a while.

Off to France in August, can’t wait and will just accept it if it’s not cheap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MalH said:

Macron has removed the tax subsidy that diesel used to enjoy

Not only that, but there is an actual policy to increase, year on year, the taxes on diesel.   It will continue rising until the French rise up in protest!

And yes, France has become more expensive - and you notice it especially when you're going backwards and forwards as we do.   Fruit and vegetables are more expensive (but taste better), meat is definitely more expensive and you really have to shop around.   On the other hand bread should not have gone up by much as the price is regulated on 'baguettes' etc - but if you buy British type sliced bread, then yes it has gone up in price.

We have been shocked by how much diesel has gone up since we were here in September but talking to two Netherlander couples this week they were telling us that in Holland our Kia Sorrento would now cost E1500 to tax each year where their government is trying to stop their use.

Just now, LongTimeCaravaner said:

We have been shocked by how much diesel has gone up since we were here in September but talking to two Netherlander couples this week they were telling us that in Holland our Kia Sorrento would now cost E1500 to tax each year where their government is trying to stop their use.

Yes, a French friend of ours imports cheap Landrovers and similar from Holland - where they sell for peanuts, then does them up and sells them on to French farmers!  He makes a good living.

2 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

And why does majority of people think its the fault of coming out of the EU, I remember when it went really down back in 2008 (give or take), worse than it is now, and that was before the referendum.

Apart from the fact that the UK hasn't come out of the EU yet

I wonder what happened on June 23rd 2016

903836029_exchangerate.JPG.2f63b3efe3dfdad1d0bf76f48ebce333.JPG

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

The best I can think of since 2008 is about £1-€1. 25 but there have been times in the past decade we’ve been close to parity.

It hovered between £1:1. 35€ and  £1:1. 45€ for most of 2015 and until June 2016 

Tourist exchange shops went below parity but the mid-market rate never dropped below £1:1. 08€

• Like 1

I was thinking about tourist exchange rates rather than the market, looking back it was summer  2015 when we were getting mid €1. 20’s - I remember filling the old car up with diesel in St Hilaire de Riez before the trip home and feeling I had mugged the garage - 2016 wasn’t anywhere near as good!

The French economy is a ticking time bomb, granted not as bad as Italy’s but far from robust. Things will get worse, prices will go up. We’re all doomed 🤗

• Like 1

Were off to France in a couple of weeks and expect the rate to be about €1. 14/£1. About the same as it was 3 years ago.  

French prices for food shopping have steadily been rising in recent years though. How fortunate we are in the UK!

6 minutes ago, Ern said:

Were off to France in a couple of weeks and expect the rate to be about €1. 14/£1. About the same as it was 3 years ago.  

French prices for food shopping have steadily been rising in recent years though. How fortunate we are in the UK!

June 2015 £1:1. 37€  from XE. com

UK inflation 2015 - 2018 = 8%, France inflation 2015 - 2018 = 1. 56%

2 hours ago, Lost in France said:

Yes - taking that small section of the graph on its own and it looks shocking.    Put it into context of the last 20 years and it gets lost.

571486831_GBP-Euroexchangerate.thumb.jpg.d323729bb5c2ea54d2aee6fc642094f2.jpg

As has been said, 2008 was a global banking event that hit the UK more than Europe.

Nothing else can be attributed to or demonstrated to a single event so dramatically or quickly as the fall in June 2016.

• Like 1

We've spoken to several café owners over the years and they have all said that France is in a hell of a state. They say that the government are hiding the truth. It seems quite likely that its true when you see the huge number of shops derelict in the villages and small towns. They seem to be suffering far more than back home. We've seen France get progressively dearer over the last few years partly due to exchange rates but also inflation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lost in France said:

Apart from the fact that the UK hasn't come out of the EU yet

It hovered between £1:1. 35€ and  £1:1. 45€ for most of 2015 and until June 2016 

Tourist exchange shops went below parity but the mid-market rate never dropped below £1:1. 08€

Bringing  facts in to a thread like this can only end in tears please don’t do it again🤣

Please also note, this thread is basically an annual event for Durbanite.

France and costs (2017)

Eye-watering prices (2016)

I think we are going to really have to pull together if we are going to beat the 9 pages of replies in 2017😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fred said:

Bringing  facts in to a thread like this can only end in tears please don’t do it again🤣

Sorry, at least it's not a PM from an admin this time.

30 minutes ago, fred said:

Please also note, this thread is basically an annual event for Durbanite.

I saw those at the time but didn't remember it was the same OP, makes me wonder why he goes to France 🙂

• Like 1

The graph above is good - but tells only part of the story.   The rate was dropping anyway, then went up before the referendum, then dropped back again, and that sort of activity is mainly due to currency traders 'betting' on the likely outcome.    Yes, France (and Italy according to an Italian doctor who I met this week) is probably in a real mess, and so is Spain.   Basically we are all spending more than we can earn because  certain other nations are now producing all the consumer goods we buy so cheaply and growing the cheap imported food we're currently eating!  In France far less fresh food is imported.

When you go backwards and forwards to France, as we do, many times a year,  it really opens your eyes to just how cheap food is in the UK, compared to France.   In this country food prices have come down with the rise of the 'discount' supermarket such as Aldi and Lidl, and now almost every supermarket has those 'loss-leader' vegetables at silly prices.   I bought a chicken yesterday for just £2 - and it was a very nice one, we had a piece of Aberdeen Angus beef from Aldi, for Sunday dinner - and that was very tasty and both in France would have cost at least twice as much if not more.

Previously I think many of us offset the 'real' price of food against cheaper fuel, cheaper campsites, ability to park without paying almost everywhere, free entrance to more 'sights' and 'sites',  and as a result our holidays were good value.   These days a realistic costing of the holiday may make us all really think!  It may put some off - it may not - but is is more expensive and it's something we're going to have to live with if we want to continue holidaying there.  

• Like 2

The value of currency is due in large part to speculative swings, but also in part the underlying strength of economy.   When the euro was launched the exchange rate was 1:1. 42 a euro was about 70. 4p.  Today it is, 1:1. 14 about 87. 7p. That is almost a 25% depreciation.  

The really beneficiaries of this are Germany because relatively speaking their currency is weaker then it would be if they had kept the D-MARK.  Keeps their Bmw’s Competitive.  Conversely a weak pound  also allows them to buy the few remaining chunks of British industry a lot cheaper than it would have cost them a few years ago.   For example Hymer buying Elddis.  The losers are the weaker states and us the poor tourists. But in my opinion believe that the exchange rate is going to improve anytime soon is just wishful thinking.  

40 minutes ago, ValA said:

The graph above is good - but tells only part of the story.   The rate was dropping anyway, then went up before the referendum, then dropped back again, and that sort of activity is mainly due to currency traders 'betting' on the likely outcome.    

Yes, they bet on a remain majority.

41 minutes ago, ValA said:

When you go backwards and forwards to France, as we do, many times a year,  it really opens your eyes to just how cheap food is in the UK, compared to France.   In this country food prices have come down with the rise of the 'discount' supermarket such as Aldi and Lidl, and now almost every supermarket has those 'loss-leader' vegetables at silly prices

This is obviously a YMMV but living here and visiting the UK I've noticed how expensive supermarkets are in the UK, not helped by all the 3 for 2 offers which mean you finish up spending more than you really wanted to.

43 minutes ago, ValA said:

I bought a chicken yesterday for just £2

We bought 2 for 5. 95€ yesterday, so not that much different.