Sign in to follow this  
SamD

Gas Hob - Domestic in Caravan

Apart from size - compact etc, is there any reason why a domestic (not Dometic) gas hob can't be installed in a caravan please? I suppose the burners would need changing?

Edited by SamD

You can buy domestic LPG hobs for households that use LPG for cooking that are not connected to utilities .

I can't see much difference in price between a leisure hob or domestic ?

Dave

Ta Dave - should have said it's the other way around!  Slight fault with my Ceramic Hob in caravan and it looks as though Dometic are unable to repair it.   The aperture in my worktop is 556 wide x 504 deep which is a fair bit larger than caravan hobs.   

Edit:  Don't know why I said that!  (read very quickly enroute to the loo!)  Your answer might well allow me to get what I need.   It's all under warranty but dealer is not performing and needs my help (read boot!)

Edited by SamD

If you can get a hob that you like and it'll fit, you just need the nozzles changing, most manufactures will provide the LPG type if you ask nicely. :)

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

If you can get a hob that you like and it'll fit, you just need the nozzles changing, most manufactures will provide the LPG type if you ask nicely. :)

Is it really as simple as this?

http://www. appliancespareswarehouse. co. uk/nat-to-lpg-conversion-kit-a027639. html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjIGv6PW62wIV6rDtCh1RpA1uEAQYAiABEgK37fD_BwE

You may also have to use a reducer for the gas pipe or maybe not, either way a gas fitter should have the fittings in his/her box.  I have LPG at home as it worked out cheaper than mains gas, we just change the nozzles if we buy a natural gas cooker.

What I'd be more concerned about is whether the hob would be stable in a caravan, in non technical terms would the bit that covers the nozzles and the grid bits stay put, on house type they come off easily for cleaning purposes on caravans they are fastened down to stop them bouncing about.  However it wouldn't take much to remove and replace them for traveling but its something to consider when buying.

Thanks - hadn't though about the loose bits - keep 'em with the microwave plate.

My last house didn't have piped gas. I had a propane cylinder outside for my Neff gas hob. It had different jets (small screw in brass things AFAICR)

Loads of people live in places like this.   A standard hob shouldn't be a problem.

Ian

16 hours ago, SamD said:

Is it really as simple as this?

I remember in the late 1960's, when the government were preparing us for the change-over from town gas to natural, each house-holder had to fill in a return listing all the gas appliances (by make) which were installed in the house.    In due course, a fitter arrived with a box of new jets, quickly went around the house converting each gas appliance in turn.    Each house didn't take long.    I also remember the government 'selling' us the idea in their propaganda.    We were told that "North sea gas was so plentiful it would cost next to nothing".    They certainly got that bit wrong!!..😀

• Haha 1