Sign in to follow this  
jimbo747

Freedom caravans, 4th berth?

I'm after a small light 4 berth caravan. Have been looking at some of the vintage sprite and robin models. I'd seen freedom caravans mentioned but they all seemed to be 2 or 3 berth so ignored.

Recently I spotted a freedom sunseeker described as a 4 berth, apparently some sort of roll out bunk bed. I then looked at a few other 3 berth sun seekers on eBay and they too have the wall mounts for a roll out bunk, but don't mention the extra bed (so presume it isn't included).

The freedom website makes no mention of a 4th berth option on their vans.

Is it no longer possible to get the option of a fourth berth? And I'd there are any owners out there is this something that was fitted at factor or was it fit post purchase?

Friend once had a three bed Sunseeker. ...however they were only 14 ft Long and  less than 7ft wide (the toilet was stored under a bed). So getting another bed in there would be a bit of a squeeze.

geoff

Mine is 4 berth. A double a single the other end and then a hammock which would be ok I'd imagine for a child up to about 4yrs.   The hammock is on aluminium poles that slot into brackets over the single bunk.

Thinking about it again the poles and canvas are pretty strong and the bunk is the same length as the bed underneath so I guess it could be ok for an older child.

Edited by T00ts

Thought I'd update. Bought a sunseeker,, '88 model. has poles for 4th bed but no hammock. I made a foldable bed from 12mm ply which clamps on top, works quite well. Although head room a couple of inches less than bottom bunk, it is slightly wider.

I realise this is quite a bump to the thread in  terms of age (though it isn't too far down the page currently), but it might interest people to know Freedom actually used to advertise the Sunseeker on their website (circa 2006/7) as a five berth.

They showed diagrams of the day and night time layouts, and for the night time layout it showed the occupants as:

3 on the double bed (lying lengthwise).

1 on the single.

1 on the bunk .

Anyone with a Sunseeker can imagine just how cramped 3 on that bed would be :D