Sign in to follow this  
montesa

Brake squeaks & squealing 2017/18 ALKO Axle

For info if you are having issues as well.

After scaring the sheep on the back roads of Yorkshire two weeks ago have just had the ALKO axle brake shoes renewed under warranty - no quibble.

Pretty horrific noises and embarrassing in towns. Slowly just  got worse with use over 8 weeks since new.

Dealer reported third new van they have now done - quality control issues with the brake shoe supplier to Alko, who supply the axles on lots of vans.

But did that fix the squeal?

generally brake squeal is caused by the contact points on the brake shoes to the brake back plate and usually a bit of copper grease on these points stops the squeal

Ours squealed from leaving the dealer's forecourt on day one.   I didn't bother taking it back to the dealer and just put up with it for the first year/3200 miles until its first service by our mobile engineer.   When he took the drums off, he said that it looked like the drums had been given a protective coating which had subsequently glazed the surface.   A quick deglazing of the drums and shoes using emery cloth was all it took and having just returned from a 150 mile round trip, we now have silence.

Brakes on our Affinity squeal too. Its only on its 3rd time out. Yet another problem to add to the already substantial  and still growing list.

Edited by thebriars

One would think that such quality issues would not occur with Alko products.

A similar thing happened to me.

2015 Lunar.   Year 1 no problem with the brakes.

Year 2, after the 1st service, the brakes would stick on after being left with the hand brake on.   Dealers response was to take it back in tell me they stripped the drums down and there is no fault.   Nevertheless the fault persisted.   I think the stripped it down 3 times.   Then they stopped believing me, but could not deny the video evidence I had.    So advised me to not use the handbrake.   I was not best pleased with that advice.   They then got Alko to call me to try to convince me that 'all was well'.  I think they told Alko they had a difficult customer.   Luckily I was able to convince the Alko man that the keeper springs should be looked at.   They are the springs which go between the shoes and pull the brakes off.   He said he would send a set to the dealer.

When the dealer got them they fitted them.   All has been well since.

So they were fixed by my own perseverance and my diagnoses.    Nevertheless, the dealer wanted me to be thankful to Alko for sending the springs.

I told the dealer I would be thankful if they had supplied the right quality in the first place and that would have saved me the time trouble and expense of returning the caravan so many times.

We do deserve better.

John

• Like 3

Our new Cadiz was squealing quite a bit, I checked the wheels,  which were not excessively warm.  The Tyrepal gizmo did not show excess temp.

I checked with our dealer, the senior tech told me that Al ko have changed the shoe material and that they should quieten after 5 or 600 miles.  

Definitely quieter last week as its done a few trips. Apparantly I was not the first to contact them.

To be honest, squeals from drum brakes is neither new nor unusual, in my experience.

New shoes generate an amount of dust as they bed in, hence the squeals. .... once the bedding-in process is complete (a few hundred miles of general use) the dust can be blown out and this usually fixes it.

Another trick is to put a small bevel on the leading edge of the shoes, which can also help. (Afore-mentioned lubrication of the shoes/actuator contact points also useful if not over-done. ... definitely a case of ‘don’t try this unless you know what you’re doing’

Of course, the brake drums need to be removed to carry out either procedure, putting it out of reach of non-technically minded folks, but our first service is being done tomorrow and I’ve already mentioned this to my dealer, who assures me this is standard practice for them. ... I expect peace and harmony thereafter 👍 

• Like 1

Our Coachman brakes still squeal at 16 months old - but maybe not as much as they did.

Hi again, OP here,

Interesting comments which I will forward info to dealer.

Just completed our first trip since the new shoes were fitted.

Was ok for the first 50 miles, then slight squeek. After 150 miles squeeking. Now returned back home with a further 180 miles and with quite a few roundabouts and it's back as bad as previously - not acceptable.  

Phone call to dealer Monday - not pleased.

As said usually dust causes the squealing brakes and I find it depends on the type of weather and disappears in damp or wet weather . The squealing tells you they are working .

Turn the radio up ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

In years gone by when drum brakes were the norm on many vehicles, brake squeal was a common fault.   Two solutions to the problem spring to mind.   The first was to file off the sharp corner on the leading end of the brake lining.   The second, without being over-liberal was to put some high-melting point grease on the contact surfaces between the shoe and the back plate.     One or the other of these remedies usually solved the trouble.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:52, DavS said:

Our new Cadiz was squealing quite a bit, I checked the wheels,  which were not excessively warm.  The Tyrepal gizmo did not show excess temp.

I checked with our dealer, the senior tech told me that Al ko have changed the shoe material and that they should quieten after 5 or 600 miles.  

Definitely quieter last week as its done a few trips. Apparantly I was not the first to contact them.

Ours got worse after 500 miles.  

11 hours ago, Jaydug said:

In years gone by when drum brakes were the norm on many vehicles, brake squeal was a common fault.   Two solutions to the problem spring to mind.   The first was to file off the sharp corner on the leading end of the brake lining.   The second, without being over-liberal was to put some high-melting point grease on the contact surfaces between the shoe and the back plate.     One or the other of these remedies usually solved the trouble.

It was usual to use copper grease - as is also applied to the back of disc pads to stop them squealing as well.

I complained about the squealing on our new van and the dealer had a look but could find no fault. That was until the brakes jammed on whilst I was reversing onto a pitch - the van would not move forward or back which could have been an ATC issue. (Curiously when I unhitched, the van moved without problem on the mover??) I reported this to the dealer who again disassembled the brakes and cleaned them (much dust I was told) and not only is now all well but the squeal has gone!

Hi all,

Have now had a deep and meaningful chat with service dept at Dealer this morning and now awaiting a response via Alko.

Am seeking a reasoned solution now and not just 'lets change the shoes' yet again.  

Thanks for all your input folks - helpful to me and others who will be reading this now and in the future.

Hi All

I am having the same problem picked up my new caravan in December last year no noise at all until two weeks ago after a long trip to North Wales.

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks 

Edited by DougD

Every caravan I've ever had (owned or hired) has has squeaky brakes. I find that turning the stereo up solves the problem :)

• Like 1

The Thursday 5th July 2018 update.

Have now spoken to Dealer and also Elddis direct about the Alko issue. Claim repair now agreed (again). Have also submitted a claim to Elddis / Alko  for my out of pocket expenses in Towing back to Dealer yet again - ha ha ha ha 

Dealer reports that they have now also had Alko contact and Alko are supplying them new shoes (again), new Brake drums & the nut and some special lube in a tube is on its way. Seems Alko have taken up the slack and are now a bit more proactive with the issue. Does seem a bit groundhog day repeat of previous repair but we'll see.  

Van booked in for 18th July for repair if the parts arrive in time - ha ha ha ha

Will report again progress or lack of.

DougD - have you therefore contacted supplying dealer yet ?

12 minutes ago, montesa said:

The Thursday 5th July 2018 update.

Have now spoken to Dealer and also Elddis direct about the Alko issue. Claim repair now agreed (again). Have also submitted a claim to Elddis / Alko  for my out of pocket expenses in Towing back to Dealer yet again - ha ha ha ha 

Dealer reports that they have now also had Alko contact and Alko are supplying them new shoes (again), new Brake drums & the nut and some special lube in a tube is on its way. Seems Alko have taken up the slack and are now a bit more proactive with the issue. Does seem a bit groundhog day repeat of previous repair but we'll see.  

Van booked in for 18th July for repair if the parts arrive in time - ha ha ha ha

Will report again progress or lack of.

DougD - have you therefore contacted supplying dealer yet ?

Progress, we hope, and great if it works, even better if you get the expenses.  

There is every likelyhood that all will be good, after all, most outfits work without a problem.  So let’s hope they have selected and inspected the parts and they are fitted diligently.

It was at the stage your at now that my dealer started to sing Alko praises and tell me I was lucky they were doing soooo much for me.  I wasn’t best pleased.

I still believe there are underlying quality issues along the line for there to be so many problems highlighted.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Hi all,

The Friday 20th July update. Repeat Repair no. 2.

Elddis / Alko replied - no out of pocket expense are payable under an Elddis Warranty (I was actually asking Alko !).

Booked in today at dealers, changed from 18th,  for repeat repair as previous, just a 7 hour round trip, parking back to parking, after the while you wait.  

Alko supplied dealer with instructions to also modify the new Brake Shoes with leading edge & back edge chamfered off and arrow head grooves ground into linings, specific points on back plate for lube, and re-fit new but the older style brake drums.

Tow home all quiet as was repair no. 1 but awaiting situation again after 50 - 100 miles of use.

Dealer reports regular owner calls & complaints with the same Alko related issue from various manuafacturers caravans now - assume the newish vans are now getting over the 50 - 100 mile bedding in period.  

After the OP’s dire experience, and mine, plus others.  Al-ko have a bit of a cheek to promote themselves thus:

“About AL-KO Vehicle Technology

The name of AL-KO Vehicle Technology rightly applies as a synonym for safety on the roads. Whether leisure vehicle, caravan, commercial vehicle or commercial trailer – as a reliable companion, our name stands for best possible driving safety and the highest levels of comfort. Not only in the leisure vehicle sector are we a byword to mobile home and caravan enthusiasts: With well-conceived lightweight chassis, chassis components as well as individual accessories, we guarantee a safe journey and enjoyment on your travels. With our premium solutions in the commercial vehicles and trailers segment, we also ensure the best ergonomics and safety during transport. We are one of the leading global axle supplier in the lightweight weight range. "We carry what matters": Boat trailers, delivery vehicles, slope maintenance vehicles and many more. You can trust us with your loads. We provide the vehicle components and the accessories – the best basis for your tasks.”

John

• Like 1

Hi all,

This is my first post so please take it easy on me :-)

I have read with interest the posts regarding the squealing of brakes on new vans with Alko frames. This is our first new van from Wandahome in Knottingley (Coachman Pastiche 545) and we have had real issues with squealing brakes - so much so that the noise is driving us mad when travelling. On our second attempt to get it fixed we also came across a customer with an Eldis van with the same issue and it seems that only after a formal complaint we are due to have the drum and shoes replaced next week. What I would like to know with your help is 

1) Has anyone had the warranty work completed and did it fix the issue

2) Coachman appear to have ignored my request for help - is this normal?

3) Wandahome can only do work when approved by Alko - surely as a dealer they are pre approved to resolve issues?

4) Am I alone in thinking as the cost of our Van was equal to the value of our first home the dealership and manufacturers need a real kick up the backside in customer care, we have travelled many many miles, time off work and getting no where.

We are loving caravanning but hating the service of its suppliers

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum and the real world of caravans.   We have the brake squeal on our new Elddis, however given the numerous other serious problems on our van, it is a bit trivial. We rejected ours as unfit for use 3 months ago, and now are battling to get our dealer(I'm being polite here) to even respond. Our "dealer" knows all about customer care, they say they put customers first. In reality when you are giving them money, yes they really care, when you have a problem they couldn't care less. Judging from their turnover, I reckon our dealer turns over about 15 new vans or equivalent a week. You would think with 750 new customers a year, they would have a customer care team. In reality they have just one office junior minion who handles what must be a significant number of minor and major warranty claims with that quantity of vans sold.   Yes its depressing.

Coachman won't help, its down to your dealer, that's normal, however a complaint to them about how their dealer has spoiled your experience of Coachman caravans would probably not go amiss. However, the brake issue  is now a well known problem. Elddis admitted so when our caravan was inspected by them. Apparently the brake shoes were a different composition with metal particles embedded in them, so new shoes and drums should cure the problem. Wandahome must know all this, and a resolution should have been immediately forthcoming. More cowboys!

Sorry to be depressing.

Edited by thebriars

Hi TheBriars,

Many thanks for the reply and advice, it wasn't until we met the other complaining customer that I realised as newbies we were getting a bit of fob off. Its not stopping our enjoyment (can't understand why we didn't get a caravan years ago) but I am running out of holidays to keep taking it back.

Fingers cross and many thanks 

4 hours ago, Yorkie Daz said:

Hi all,

This is my first post so please take it easy on me :-)

I have read with interest the posts regarding the squealing of brakes on new vans with Alko frames. This is our first new van from Wandahome in Knottingley (Coachman Pastiche 545) and we have had real issues with squealing brakes - so much so that the noise is driving us mad when travelling. On our second attempt to get it fixed we also came across a customer with an Eldis van with the same issue and it seems that only after a formal complaint we are due to have the drum and shoes replaced next week. What I would like to know with your help is 

1) Has anyone had the warranty work completed and did it fix the issue

2) Coachman appear to have ignored my request for help - is this normal?

3) Wandahome can only do work when approved by Alko - surely as a dealer they are pre approved to resolve issues?

4) Am I alone in thinking as the cost of our Van was equal to the value of our first home the dealership and manufacturers need a real kick up the backside in customer care, we have travelled many many miles, time off work and getting no where.

We are loving caravanning but hating the service of its suppliers

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Caravaning.

Sadly you have made an excellent evaluation of the industry in general.

John