Batteries for mover handset

Leesdad12

Has anyone got recommendations for batteries for the handset on there mover. I am using rechargeable 850 a hard but finding that they seem short of power.  

My present 'van mover is still with the same cheapest on the market Panasonic and have lasted 3 years. ...previous Swift only had one battery change in a similar time.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I don't think rechargables are the right choice. This is a minimum drain, infrequent use aplication and rechargables tend to suffer self discharge, the last thing needed here. Why not use a quality alkaline like a Duracell?

Mine last a couple of years at least and is a "fit and forget" as I see it. I do carry a spare together with others for the radio, Etrex etc.

Edited by JTQ

I use normal Duracell and change then every year, the guy who fits our movers says that we should change them every six months !!

Les

Rechargeables give slightly lower voltage than the nominal 1. 5v of an alkaline, so do not suit all applications

Are all motor mover controller batteries the same? Our Powertouch uses a PP9. I fit Duracell.  They are inclined to give up as soon as the voltage drops below 9v so I check them with a multimeter fairly often.  

Edited by Ern

Ern

I always just use Duracell and they last for ages but it is worth keeping a spare somewhere to hand in the caravan or car glove box .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I use a Duracell PP3 and can't remember when it was fitted,  I'd better a spare :rolleyes:

Justin Case

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I use Varta High Energy 9v PP3  batteries, to me they equal Duracell at a cheaper price.

10 hours ago, Paul_B said:

I use a Duracell PP3 and can't remember when it was fitted,  I'd better a spare :rolleyes:

Justin Case

Don't leave home without one !

Les

My Truma XT Handset was eating batteries, I was having to change them (Varta) every couple of weeks even when the handset hadn't been used. I told my dealer, she gave me a new handset and since then (last June) the same batteries have been in and are still ok.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Just bought  4 x Duracell 9V PP3  Duralock batteries with best by date 2021 for 6. 79 on eBay.

As well as my handset, I use them for my greenhouse irrigation timers for when we are away so must be reliable and at that price buy a pack at the start of each year.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Thanks for all the reply’s. Very informative.  My handset uses 3 AAA s whereas it seems most of yours seem to use the 9v. Plan of attack seems to be either ordinary Duracell or Panasonic.  Will give it a go.

As people have said, rechargeable AA's are 1. 2v each, so three of them makes 3. 6volt. Alkaline AA's are 1. 5v each so three of them make 4. 5volts. That's where your problem lies, the handset isn't getting enough power when using rechargeables.   The other problem is that rechargeables have a fairly high self discharge rate, whereas alkalines tend to last a lot longer.

For ultimate performance try Energiser Lithium - they have a high discharge capability and seem to last forever in a standby or  low usage situation like a mover handset. Mine last about five years - http://www. energizer. com/batteries/energizer-ultimate-lithium-batteries

Edited by matelodave

Thanks for that matelodave. Will take a butchers

• 5 months later...

Any good quality alkaline battery and to avoid getting caught out swap for fresh every year & carry a spare.

FWIW I use Duracell.

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold

I use the usual battery for mine.   On our previous caravan, we had it 3 years before it was stolen, and the mover's battery never run out

26 minutes ago, TenStar said:

Any good quality alkaline battery and to avoid getting caught out swap for fresh every year & carry a spare.

FWIW I use Duracell.

Out of curiosity, if a 'spare' new battery is always carried and thus always immediately available why wouldn't one use the battery in the remote until it is actually exhausted?

In the caravan we always carry a new 9v battery for the smoke alarm and replace the old one as soon as the alarm starts to chirrup rather than throw away a perfectly serviceable battery simply because an arbitrary time has passed.

Clock, mover, Avtex remote, onboard maglite, all the same. ..  when they stop working, the batteries are replaced from a small but appropriate selection of new batteries always carried in the caravan.

• Thanks 1

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

I buy leak proof batteries they cost a little more but are cheaper in the long run than replacing the item they power usually.

7 hours ago, flashgordon said:

I buy leak proof batteries they cost a little more but are cheaper in the long run than replacing the item they power usually.

I have not had a battery leak in many years other than in items put away and forgotten for long periods. Mover remote does not fall into that category.

My neighbour recently had a problem with his central heating not working although the hot water was.

He has the same system as us so went round to have a look.

After checking programmer which was as it should be I checked the wireless room thermostat.

The batteries inside had leaked and furred up the terminals, not sure how long they had been in place, he is 93 though.  :ph34r:

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

For longevity fit Lithium cells. They have the necessary short term power but a typical shelf life in excess of 10 years.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

24 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

For longevity fit Lithium cells. They have the necessary short term power but a typical shelf life in excess of 10 years.

Self discharge, thought they tended to be worse on that score than alkaline is, and in a motor mover handset there is a lot of downtime relative to use time?

Edit: I expect though the penny cells are remarkably stable so you have a point.

Edited by JTQ

Ours is a PP3 and changed every year, the one from the mover is put in the CO alarm and that one is put into the caravan smoke alarm, then that one is put into the house smoke alarm. If the house smoke alarm starts to chirp we go through the procedure again. We always have a spare in the 'van though just in case. :rolleyes:

I'm not afraid of hard work,  I'm terrified of it! If you don't swear when you're driving, you're not paying attention! I like children but can't eat a whole one.  If you can't say something nice, don't say anything! Don't call me an idiot, I would take it as a compliment. Not all my ducks are in a row, some are missing and I think one is a pigeon. I know my place, under my wife's thumb!

Just now, Flat_at said:

If the house smoke alarm starts

when that starts I know that dinner is ready:P

kot

pigs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.