Towing a larger van

Ste6t9

Hi all. First post here. We are looking at starting out in caravanning but would be looking at a larger van (a good 6 berth). Ones we have seen that suit our needs are around the 1700kg MTPLM. As we are at the point of needing to change our car also, can anyone advise a suitable towcar for a large van. I have driven HGV in a past life so am comfortable with driving what would be a substantial outfit, just need recommendations on suitable car plus, of course, your valuable insights.

With such vague info, all I can say is to look at a large powerful car or one of the larger SUVs.

If you tell us your budget and tastes we can give you more options than you can shake a stick at!

Apologies for vagueness. Looking for SUV style, about 3 years old. Could probably stretch to about £20000

Currently have a Kia Sportage but it's 8 years old now and I would guess not up to towing something that big

I agree. .. the Sorento would work well.

Before we get too far into this, anything you particularly don't like Ste6t9? ;)

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Open to most things. Also thought about an Outlander PHEV although I think the towing limit is reduced on these vehicles

I have a Pajero (Shogun in the UK), it can tow up to 3500 Kg so no dramas with my 2 tonne, 2. 5m x 8m+ caravan.

My previous Honda CRV 2. 2 DTEC Manual towed my previous 1800 Kg caravan no dramas, I believe the limit was 2000 Kg.

My brother-in-law is happy with his 2015 Santa Fe

The Outlander PHEV has a 1500 Kg towing limit.

Sorento every time, wish I still had mine😢

44 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Sorento every time, wish I still had mine😢

Mine is a good 'tug', still don't love it in same way as my old Rexton though.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Do you have B+E on your licence ?

Might seem a silly question but many have a post 96 licence with LGV C and no B+E

On 29/05/2018 at 10:39, Ste6t9 said:

Open to most things. Also thought about an Outlander PHEV although I think the towing limit is reduced on these vehicles

Dont bother they are a complete waste of money to the private buyer. I have one as a company car due to the BIK tax but would never buy one with my own cash. Also tow weight is only 1500kg.

Personally i would also be looking at the sorento, you should be able to get the newest version with your budget. There are other 4x4s around suitable but if you want 3  years old for £20k then cant get much better than the Kia.  Alternatively have you considered a pick-up truck?

Touareg, Allroad, Passat, Galaxy, Mondeo, Pajero, Outlander, Range Rover, Land Rover Discovery, Pajero, Tiguan, the list goes on. Allroad is a good all rounder.

I tow with my company Pick-up. Navara then a 2. 2 Ranger and now a 3. 3L Ranger. All manual and great tow vehicles with a canopy on back you can take all the pruck you want in the truck bed and not overload the caravan.

I'm on my second Mercedes ML as a tug. 1st one was a 270, current beast is a 320. Hardly knows it's got my 1. 8 Tonne twin axle on the back.

Cheers

Keith

As mentioned already a heavy (2+ tonnes) SUV or 4x4, or a people carrier or even a big van will do the job.

"Hardly know I've got a caravan on the back" is a great urban myth.

I've got a Discovery which weighs about 3 tonnes with all our clobber in and I assure you I still know there's a 1500kg van on the back, especially on bendy UK A roads.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

I am on my second Touareg and love it it tows great, with the air suspension makes it even better. When I bought it new October 2017 there was talk of a new model coming out this year but the deal I got I could not turn it down to wait and pay a fortune for the new model. I use to tow with a Kia Sorento and that was a reat tow car but found it a bit thirsty on fuel that was back in 2010.

With the Buccaneer on the back going up some of the steep hills in Scotland its no problem, with the twin axle the only down side is the tail swing when turning on smaller roads or putting the van onto a pitch in smaller sites. I have been looking at getting a rear view camera but need a really wide angle lense.  

Bit of a curved ball, but what about a large saloon/estate? A few were available with 4WD and have high kerbweights approaching and over1800kgs?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

9 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

Bit of a curved ball, but what about a large saloon/estate? A few were available with 4WD and have high kerbweights approaching and over1800kgs?

A bit like the Allroad, Passat, Galaxy, Octavia etc mentioned in post 13? 😝

Does the requirement for 6 berths imply a need for more than 5 seats?

If so look carefully at the 'heavier' models in the Ford S-Max range. Tons of space, short rear overhang and a 2000kg tow limit. It's a brilliant car when not towing too which can't always be said for some of the larger SUVs (all in my very humble opinion of course:-) )

When you have a short list check them out in the club tow car awards web pages for towing specific info not available in the ordinary motoring press.

Jim

19 minutes ago, jampot said:

Does the requirement for 6 berths imply a need for more than 5 seats?

If so look carefully at the 'heavier' models in the Ford S-Max range. Tons of space, short rear overhang and a 2000kg tow limit. It's a brilliant car when not towing too which can't always be said for some of the larger SUVs (all in my very humble opinion of course:-) )

When you have a short list check them out in the club tow car awards web pages for towing specific info not available in the ordinary motoring press.

Jim

It's also a brilliant towcar

Love 'em :) or hate 'em :angry:, I have only ever towed my twin axles with Discoveries, had the full set including two D4's.

Their towing capabilities speak for themselves along with oodles of space when the rear seats are down, but, were I to move away from LR I would probably go for an E Class Merc estate which I believe others on here find more than capable of towing large caravans?

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I would probably go for an E Class Merc estate which I believe others on here find more than capable of towing large caravans?

I thought there were a few posts regarding sensitivity to tyre choice when used as a tug.

It's also a brilliant towcar

Of course it is, was I being too subtle?😊

Still have ours but the kerb weight isn't up to the new Buccaneer, so I swapped the Jazz 'shopper hopper' for a used ML.

Without the 'van I take the S-Max every time!

Jim

10 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

A bit like the Allroad, Passat, Galaxy, Octavia etc mentioned in post 13? 😝

You want to try reading all posts when on the C&MC WiFi!! It took me 15 minutes to type my reply & several attempts to type this one!!! 🙂

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB