11 hours ago, Angel1 said:

Lee,

Different situation of course, but I wonder why ALL hgv's are diesel when petrol can seemingly out perform derv.   On a personal level of driving for over 50 years, I have never driven a petrol that would outdo a diesel, or last as long or do the mileage a diesel will do. It's fine to stick a bucket sized forced induction turbo/supercharger on a 900cc petrol engine and get 200hp out of it, but how long will it last if it was towing our caravans, despite having the figures that would make the uninitiated think it was the best thing since sliced bread. I think it's horses for courses, Diesel for me for towing, Others will have a different opinion which I appreciate.

HGV's are diesel for two very good reasons, economy and longevity.

You don't have to buy ultra small capacity petrol engines, there are plenty out there that match the size of the diesel options.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

Petrol v Diesel?  

The perennial question on here. There are advocates for both but the diesel vote seems to outnumber the petrol vote by about 10 to 1.

I never could understand why. However, many of the diesel advocates have never actually towed with a competent petrol engine and base  their opinions on outdated history, comparing modern turbo diesels with the likes of old 1. 6 litre petrol Sierras.  

For me petrol any day, although my current towcar is a diesel because at the time I bought it there simply was not a sensible petrol alternative available.

14 hours ago, Angel1 said:

I think it's horses for courses, Diesel for me for towing, Others will have a different opinion which I appreciate.

That is the thing about living in a "free country" where we can all look at the evidece and make an informed choice. I openly admit, for several reasons, that I am "anti Diesel" when it comes to private cars. Firstly the polution aspect regarding particulates, secondly, get the stuff on your hands when refuelling and the smell is with you all day, the narrow power band when compared with a petrol engine requires a different driving technique but the inferior smoothness finally convinced me that I would not choose a Diesel powered towcar. For these reasons I chose in the mid 1990s to change to LPG powered vehicles as they provide the smoothness of a petrol engine, polute the environment much less, and the fuel is approximately half the cost of petrol. It was win, win, win as far as I was concerned.

Since making the change my LPG vehicles have each used approximately two tanks of petrol a year (as it is used just to start the engine, with the remaining mileage all being completed on LPG. The one disadvantage is that the LPG tank on our latest Volvo V70 is quite small and only gives a range of around 240 miles and this can be inconvenient as the number of LPG outlets around the country is limited. Previous LPG vehicles I owned had larger tanks with commensurate improvement in distance between fuel stops. One small advantage is that in each case the original petrol tank has been retained so I could have an effective range of 700 to 800 miles if both fuels are to be used. 

We have converted various motors from a 3 litre Volvo 960 Est to a 6.9 litre American motorhome, and inluded a number of 4x4 towcars, all of which have performed faultlessly. Payback time for the conversion costs have been typically around a year, after which the running costs have been significantly lower then a single fuelled vehicle.

Gordon.

• Like 2

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I'm very similar to Gordon and Stevan.

Some people think I'm anti diesel but far from it. I run two of each and my last purchase was a diesel.

But I have towed with large capacity petrol and turbo petrol and I would rather tow with these than diesel. The only problem for me is my mileage as I'm a high mileage driver and diesel is still the best financial option.

But if I was retired and doing 5k-10k a year like many owners I wouldn't even look at diesel especially with the uncertainty around diesel taxation, ULEZ and residuals.

For many diesel will still be the correct choice especially for higher mileage users and for those looking at larger SUV's.

But for some Petrol will be the better option, the old generalisations of diesel will always be better for towing no longer applies.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

I towed with a 2. 0liter petrol Honda CRV and it wasn't much of a tow car as I was always working the gears and revving the engine.

I switched to the 1. 6 diesel version of the CRV ( 120KW awd) and it was a much better tow car. Easy to drive as not working gears all the time and acceleration, with the caravan, was much much improved.

The petrol Honda was almost as powerful as the diesel but the torque was totally inadequate(192NM). The diesel Honda was 350NM torque compared to my present VW at 400NM torque.  

So for me it is a diesel every time as a tow car.

Edited by Tradewinds
1 hour ago, Tradewinds said:

I towed with a 2. 0liter petrol Honda CRV and it wasn't much of a tow car as I was always working the gears and revving the engine.

I switched to the 1. 6 diesel version of the CRV ( 120KW awd) and it was a much better tow car. Easy to drive as not working gears all the time and acceleration, with the caravan, was much much improved.

The petrol Honda was almost as powerful as the diesel but the torque was totally inadequate(192NM). The diesel Honda was 350NM torque compared to my present VW at 400NM torque.  

The comparison you are making there is not so much Petrol V's Diesel it's more you are comparing Normally Aspirated V's Turbocharged.

Lee

1 hour ago, Tradewinds said:

Many people really dislike letting an engine rev and are uncomfortable changing down the gears to access the power. These people will never like petrol engines. Personally I have no issues with either.

15 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Many people really dislike letting an engine rev and are uncomfortable changing down the gears to access the power. These people will never like petrol engines. Personally I have no issues with either.

When I had my non-petrol Subaru Outback, I soon got used to maximum torque at 4,000 and revving sweetly up to 7,000 - quite enjoyed driving and towing - but the fuel consumption was dire.

Americans, used to 5+ litre petrol V8s for towing, can't understand our preference for 2 litre turbo-diesels -it's all about high torque (and the fuel cost)

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

When I had my non-petrol Subaru Outback, I soon got used to maximum torque at 4,000 and revving sweetly up to 7,000 - quite enjoyed driving and towing - but the fuel consumption was dire.

In the mid 90's to mid 00's I ran several Mondeo's and towed a 1400kg MTPLM caravan. Two were TDCi's and the third was a 3. 0V6 normally aspirated petrol.

Of the three the petrol was in a different league solo and towing. It was a joy to drive and would tow all day in 6th on the motoway where the diesels struggled off boost.

You had to rev the normally aspirated petrol a bit more but is was a lovely sounding large capacity V6 petrol not a rattly 4 post diesel.

I still miss that car. But 25-30mpg solo and 16mpg towing at todays fuel prices and 20k miles a year is just not doable for me.

Lee

• Like 1

Two things. The licence change at 70 is more of a problem if you have a motorhome, particularly if it is over 3500kgs. For towing it's actually the weight of the car which is the deciding rather than the combined weight as has been explained by others. Just to add that if you passed your test after 1997 it is the combined weight that comes into play. All a bit daft!

Re petrol v diesel. Someone on the Caravan Club forum recently purchased a petrol Kia Sportage with what appeared to be good power performance. However he was very, very disappointed in the actual towing  performance. Fortunately we was able to do a swap for the diesel version with no cost penalty other than the difference in price between to two cars. Sounds like an excellent dealer.  

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

1 minute ago, klyne said:

Two things. The licence change at 70 is more of a problem if you have a motorhome, particularly if it is over 3500kgs. For towing it's actually the weight of the car which is the deciding rather than the combined weight as has been explained by others. Just to add that if you passed your test after 1997 it is the combined weight that comes into play. All a bit daft!

Re petrol v diesel. Someone on the Caravan Club forum recently purchased a petrol Kia Sportage with what appeared to be good power performance. However he was very, very disappointed in the actual towing  performance. Fortunately we was able to do a swap for the diesel version with no cost penalty other than the difference in price between to two cars. Sounds like an excellent dealer.   

David

Are there any issues for motorhomes up to 3500 kg at age 70? My understanding is that the issue is over 3500 kg

5 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Are there any issues for motorhomes up to 3500 kg at age 70? My understanding is that the issue is over 3500 kg

My understanding too. ..friend has just started looking for a smaller M/H  on this basis.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

17 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

My understanding too. ..friend has just started looking for a smaller M/H  on this basis.

geoff

Taking (and passing) the D4 medical would permit retention of C1E and D1E after age 70.

On 27/05/2018 at 16:09, Coastine said:

We have had our Kia Sportage 2wd 2009 since 2012, in that time we have done a lot of towing though out Europe and both of us have to say we will be very sorry to say goodbye. In the last 6 years we have changed the battery, had new brake disks, second hand heater blower and starter motor. I am 70 4th June and this has brought new restrictions on my licence, our caravan has a MTPLM 1484kg I can tow total wight of 3500kg for the  car & caravan. Yesterday we popped along to the SsangYong dealership to look at a Korando which can tow upto 2 tons but sadly this is not to be as the kerb wight is to much.

I have been looking at 2. 0 litre Kia Sportage 2014 onwards and according to the car match sites this is ideal, also you can have petrol or diesel models, petrol holding  its price better then diesel but I do not know know if petrol has the pulling power of diesel, on the up side I was going for a Sorento and I will save on tax and insurance.

I am on a 3500kg licence for medical reasons  I am only 48.   It refers to the towcar,  not the train weight 

Regards
Ian

New Tow car:

ATT00095.jpg

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.