Three Mifi deal

Just in case you are looking at Mifi.  

Three are doing an existing customer deal. On a 2 year contract we have just got 40gb a month for £21.  

Tried it on a site that normally has no signal at all and here posting this. Kids and me and my wife all using it at once and coped absolutely fine.  

No external aerial sockets on the suppplied mifi device, but it would appear they aren’t needed.  

Some of you may think 40gb is a lot, it is but video drinks data and the kids like watching them.  

Three are also doing a deal where Netflix won’t use your data so I am looking at that too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bit much for me £24 one-off,12 GB a year,could run my telly on 40, but suppose that is what you do.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Bit much for me £24 one-off,12 GB a year,could run my telly on 40, but suppose that is what you do.

Geoff

We were buying those too. Kids were chewing through them in no time on YouTube so we stopped doing it.  

They arent allowed tablets in the week and then on Friday evening we would go straight to a site in the van. They would only have internet on Sunday evening when we got home. That’s no bad thing but we find it useful too, OS maps app, weather forecast, catchup TV when the TV signal is poor, caravan talk. ? 

Ironically I would be reading now normally but forgot my kindle! Ha ha 

Three are doing an existing customer deal. On a 2 year contract we have just got 40gb a month for £21.  

That's a good deal, thanks for the heads up.  

The way we consume data is changing rapidly and while there will always be those who relate tales of minimum usage at minimum cost I think that they are in decline. The way we are able to consume data at home without caps or restrictions means that our expectation to be able to do the same when on the move is increasing all the time. Recently I've noticed many mobile data providers offering 40-50GB per month packages.   

As more TV and movie content becomes available on line mobile data price and availability will become more important to an increasing number of people.  

• Like 1

Geoff

Same here, 12 GB plenty for us

Les

Is that 40Gb a month for £21 a month?  If so, very expensive plus in many areas signal is very slow and takes ages to download any film.   We have 12GB which cost £40 for a one off payment and the 12GB lasts a year which is plenty for us.

Is that 40Gb a month for £21 a month?  If so, very expensive plus in many areas signal is very slow and takes ages to download any film.   We have 12GB which cost £40 for a one off payment and the 12GB lasts a year which is plenty for us.

I agree we are heavy users, but I wouldn’t pay £40 for something that would only last us a few weeks.  

We are in a weak signal area now. Both kids watching films on their own tablets, I am typing this. It isn’t slow by any means.  

With the move to cloud based services instead of local storage it makes sense for us.  

The 12g 12 months sim has just gone up to £40, but there is a 24g one for £56.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

Ian

My Memory were offering them about £24. 99 just about Easter. .I bought another.

geoff 

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at the best way for us to have wifi in the van we only use a couple of i pads,  we've tried the CC&C wifi not really worth the money, tried tethering to my phone but seems expensive.

So I was after some advice on trying Mi Fi and should I go for 3G or 4G what do people use and the best deals for the SIM card the idea of buying one that lasts for 12 months sounds good!

The Huawei unit seems very popular and fairly easy to set up,I won't something simple to use!

any help and advice would be greatfully appreciated 

cheers 

27 minutes ago, Alshamal said:

I'm looking at the best way for us to have wifi in the van we only use a couple of i pads,  we've tried the CC&C wifi not really worth the money, tried tethering to my phone but seems expensive.

So I was after some advice on trying Mi Fi and should I go for 3G or 4G what do people use and the best deals for the SIM card the idea of buying one that lasts for 12 months sounds good!

The Huawei unit seems very popular and fairly easy to set up,I won't something simple to use!

any help and advice would be greatfully appreciated 

cheers 

Maybe you could book a site that offers free wifi.   Like here!!

http://www. labucaille. com/

Regards

M

Edited by MDM

Gite and 6 pitch CL type Campsite https://labucaille.com/ Normandie France

On 20/05/2018 at 09:41, IanV8 said:

Ian

Ian, looking at Amazon they still have the 24Gb for £45, some sellers even less, if it helps anyone?

Brian the Snail, (I miss the Magic Roundabout!)

https://www. mymemory. co. uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data. html

£27. 99 again today, saving of £2. 00

geoff

After quite a number of years using a MiFi on contract to Three I've just cancelled it today.   One of the main reasons for having it was as a back up if the home broadband went down, however since we moved house a few weeks ago I can no longer rely on it as a back up; it appears we've moved into a mobile 'not-spot'. We struggle to get a usable signal on all four main mobile networks but sadly Three is without doubt the worst (someone suggested that its because there is no option to step down to 2G on the Three network).  

As a back up to keep my home based business going I could justify the cost of the Three contract even though it got little use, but now it will no longer work for its primary purpose it has had to go. It's a shame to leave Three because previously their network and the MiFi have served me very well.  

Both our mobiles are with Tesco Mobile, which is marginally better but not reliable enough,  I think we need a 'calls by wifi' alternative but although that is available on O2 it is not on Tesco Mobile.   It looks as though we're going to have to leave Tesco if we want a wifi calling service. I'm trying to think of all options before changing networks but I cant seem to find a way to get what we want from Tesco. I've been told that none of the networks have any immediate plans for expansion that would help us.  :(

Edited by jetA1

We use a MiFi Sim from EE on a monthly contract on our Huweii MiFi unit  ( £11/month) during the caravan months (for us Apr to Oct.) We then data gift each month from my wife's phone and mine to the MiFi Sim which gives us about 25GB/month at no extra cost.

We cancel the MiFi sim a month before we finish caravanning and take out a new one next April on the same monthly contract. I don't think there is a cheaper option. May be wrong.

If we have the grandchildren we soon eat up the 25GB. For us alone its plenty.

5 hours ago, shipbroker said:

https://www. mymemory. co. uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data. html

£27. 99 again today, saving of £2. 00

geoff

Just ordered through their eBay shop - £26. 99, limited quantity remaining.

Thanks for the heads up!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

8 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

Just ordered through their eBay shop - £26. 99, limited quantity remaining.

Thanks for the heads up!

Plus 1

• Like 1

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

16 hours ago, Barum said:

Ian, looking at Amazon they still have the 24Gb for £45, some sellers even less, if it helps anyone?

Got one for £44. 49 on eBay.

Ian

Just bought another 24gb for £41. 75 on eBay.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

Glad to help those of you who bought from mymemory yesterday/today!

Interesting I started mine on 18th August last year and still got life in it,so will see if it stops on next weeks rally. .....have another in my wallet to follow anyway.

geoff

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alshamal said:

Get a 4G capable MiFi.   It will drop to 3G and even 2G as needed.

My 3G MiFi  on the Three network failed to get any signal at Hebden Bridge CMC site last week.   But our Three 4G-capable mobiles were fine.   :angry:  Probably down to terrain and the different frequencies used.   The MiFi worked just outside the site when we tried it in the car to and fro places.

TBH tethering/wifi hotspot on the right mobile contract (with lots of inclusive data) ought to be about the cheapest way of doing it.   Otherwise it seems EE or Three data sims. ..  You'll need to do your own research on prices vs what you expect to use.   Every user is different.

Also remember to check if the potential service provider has coverage at the sites you go to.

Some carry two sims to ensure they can connect!

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

14 hours ago, jetA1 said:

After quite a number of years using a MiFi on contract to Three I've just cancelled it today.   One of the main reasons for having it was as a back up if the home broadband went down, however since we moved house a few weeks ago I can no longer rely on it as a back up; it appears we've moved into a mobile 'not-spot'. We struggle to get a usable signal on all four main mobile networks but sadly Three is without doubt the worst (someone suggested that its because there is no option to step down to 2G on the Three network).  

As a back up to keep my home based business going I could justify the cost of the Three contract even though it got little use, but now it will no longer work for its primary purpose it has had to go. It's a shame to leave Three because previously their network and the MiFi have served me very well.  

Both our mobiles are with Tesco Mobile, which is marginally better but not reliable enough,  I think we need a 'calls by wifi' alternative but although that is available on O2 it is not on Tesco Mobile.   It looks as though we're going to have to leave Tesco if we want a wifi calling service. I'm trying to think of all options before changing networks but I cant seem to find a way to get what we want from Tesco. I've been told that none of the networks have any immediate plans for expansion that would help us.  :(

We also live in a Three mobile "Not Spot" but use "Three in Touch" which is brilliant so we can use the Three phones at home even though we do not have a signal.   Calls are crystal clear and no issue with texts etc and even use Whatsapp to speak to daughter in South Africa with the Three phone.

• Thanks 1

I too live in a 3 black hole, but it is also the same hole for EE,Virgin,Vodafone or whatever. ...I can sometimes get a signal in one square metre in front garden,but otherwise have to go 3 miles to town.

geoff

Currently using an EE 24gb 4 g card from Argos at £50

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We have had a Huawei unit which we use with a 3 sim for some years but this year in France we had a few problems with connection and had to keep removing the sim and putting it back in to make it work. I have just been looking around with a view to buying a new unit, possibly 4g. However one of the reviews mentions that 3 only let you use 12gb while abroad so that a 24gb sim is a waste of money. Does anyone know if this is right? It could be what was causing my problems.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

18 hours ago, shipbroker said:

I too live in a 3 black hole, but it is also the same hole for EE,Virgin,Vodafone or whatever. ...I can sometimes get a signal in one square metre in front garden,but otherwise have to go 3 miles to town.

geoff

If you have broadband then change to Three for perfect reception on your mobile.