Sign in to follow this  
afleetingview

Losing water!!!

Hi all, sorry to introduce myself initially with a problem I can't solve, but desperation leads to. ....

Help please.

First outing of the year, or should be. Out of winter storage, checking and servicing van, water problem, everything else good. Fleetwood Heritage 640 2005. Closed drain valve, closed taps, removed drain plugs. Full water container, connected, and fully charged battery. Turned on fresh water pump, opened cold tap good flow after priming, ditto with hot water. However pump does not turn off other than by switching. Water continuously discharging. Turn off pump, can hear water still discharging . After two days of head scratching and reading and rereading manuals, I give up! Initial inspection shows no leaks and everything as it were before storage last year. All electrical connections and fuses checked, all good.

I would be extremely  grateful if anyone had a solution to this nightmare, otherwise I will have to follow the advice of 'her who shouts' and call a very expensive servicing person.

David

One bit does not compute: 'Turn off pump, can hear water still discharging '.

If you can hear water discharging and the pump is not working then the water has to be going somewhere. If it's not leaking inside then it'll be leaking outside, it can't just disappear.

I get a similar thing happen on the Rimini drain valve, where it goes over the point of closure and reopens again. It looks as if it's horizontal but it's actually gone past horizontal and reopened. Lift it back up a tad 'til it's 'floppy' and that's when it's shut.

This all pre-supposes that your Fleetwood's valve is the same as a Rimini's and that you haven't checked underneath during your explorations and that you already know there is no plume of water running out of your drain valve. If the above doesn't apply, then try and trace the sound of discharging water and that should lead to whatever is causing the problem.

PS a nastier possibility is that the boiler has been split open by frost over the winter and water is running out of a small crack. I prefer to look on the positive side though.

The drain off valve can stick if you've had it open for a while.   Try flicking it a few times if it's that.

One bit does not compute: 'Turn off pump, can hear water still discharging '.

If you can hear water discharging and the pump is not working then the water has to be going somewhere. If it's not leaking inside then it'll be leaking outside, it can't just disappear.

I get a similar thing happen on the Rimini drain valve, where it goes over the point of closure and reopens again. It looks as if it's horizontal but it's actually gone past horizontal and reopened. Lift it back up a tad 'til it's 'floppy' and that's when it's shut.

This all pre-supposes that your Fleetwood's valve is the same as a Rimini's and that you haven't checked underneath during your explorations and that you already know there is no plume of water running out of your drain valve. If the above doesn't apply, then try and trace the sound of discharging water and that should lead to whatever is causing the problem.

PS a nastier possibility is that the boiler has been split open by frost over the winter and water is running out of a small crack. I prefer to look on the positive side though.

I'll second the drain valve theory.  I manage to do this almost every start of the season (slow learner) and usually manage to empty half the aqua roll before I remember. Doh! 

A bit of a silly design fault, to be fair.  

WOW, never even thought valve wouldn't be in true position, one for the morrow. As for hearing water discharging, obviously didn't explain. I needed to be in the van to check what was or wasn't happening and unable to transcend caravan construction to observe output too. Water was leaving van by the usual drain pipe, but could hear it doing so from my vantage point. Water loss was verified by increasing quantity in collecting bucket.

To be quite frank I suspected finger problem on my behalf, at my age I'm finding I have to check, double check and triple check everything I do, LOL.

Truly grateful for all your input and I'll let you know the outcome, however, if this is the solution I wont be in contact until tomorrow evening as I would have left for my holiday.  

Mrs SDA has got used to me manically diving out the door and running round to the offside to check if water is running out the drain valve as we fill up the system. It's bad enough that I can never remember if vertical is open or closed but when you can, in effect, over close it, there's a recipe for daftness. Why they can't use a nice screw valve, where you know when it's open and shut? Cost, of course. 

WOW, never even thought valve wouldn't be in true position, one for the morrow. As for hearing water discharging, obviously didn't explain. I needed to be in the van to check what was or wasn't happening and unable to transcend caravan construction to observe output too. Water was leaving van by the usual drain pipe, but could hear it doing so from my vantage point. Water loss was verified by increasing quantity in collecting bucket.

To be quite frank I suspected finger problem on my behalf, at my age I'm finding I have to check, double check and triple check everything I do, LOL.

Truly grateful for all your input and I'll let you know the outcome, however, if this is the solution I wont be in contact until tomorrow evening as I would have off on holiday.  

You say you opened the cold taps but did you open the hot taps first and give it plenty of time to fill the tank, I always open the furthest hot from the tank first.

You will have 2 pipes from the heater tank hanging under the caravan, ones the breather and the others from the dump valve, can you put something under each to see if waters coming from either.

During my investigation, I opened cold first and then hot first. Just in case I was forgetting the sequence. It made no difference, and the water was leaving by the  dump valve and did not observe any leaving the overflow pipe. Over my two days of investigation I tried as many permutations I could think of, however, never even considerd the dump valve acting as previously described but will definitely look at it. But thank you very much considering the problem.  

During my investigation, I opened cold first and then hot first. Just in case I was forgetting the sequence. It made no difference, and the water was leaving by the  dump valve and did not observe any leaving the overflow pipe. Over my two days of investigation I tried as many permutations I could think of, however, never even considerd the dump valve acting as previously described but will definitely look at it. But thank you very much considering the problem.  

Does your van have a Truma Boiler, then if so my coachman had 2 drain valves. Not sure if yours is the same.

Thank you all once again. The suggestions about drain valve not being quite in the correct position, were spot on. By switching it back and forth, a few times, found the point where seemed a bit 'floppy'. This would appear to be the correct position for filling with water. Was able to go away on holiday after all. Surely there must be a more positive valve we could replace it with as it would appear to be such a common failing. If anyone does know of such a replacement I would be grateful for the knowledge or link.