Orange

The most useless and obscure piece of information ever.

The screw which holds the lanyard and battery compartment onto the remote  of a  PowrTouch Evolution motor mover is

2. 5 mm dia by 10mm length!

Even PowrTouch didn’t know that!

. .. Even PowrTouch didn’t know that!

I bet they do!

My useless fact is that the hard bit on the end of a shoelace is called an 'aglet' 😁.

John

No information is totally useless - it is only useless until the time that you need it - by which time one has probably deleted it off of ones computer/device or burned/shredded it if it was in a conventional written forme.

• Like 1

and from me:

The grooves in tyres (the tread) are called Sipes after John F Sipe

The process is called Siping.

and from me:

The grooves in tyres (the tread) are called Sipes after John F Sipe

The process is called Siping.

Not quite right, the sipes are the sipes and the tread is the tread!

Not quite right, the sipes are the sipes and the tread is the tread!

The sipes are actually the fine cuts in the tread that go across the tread blocks/ribs they are there to improve friction on wet and icy roads.

• Like 1

The sipes are actually the fine cuts in the tread that go across the tread blocks/ribs they are there to improve friction on wet and icy roads.

Indeed they are, but I didn't wish to appear to be a Pedantic Anorak😋  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Indeed they are, but I didn't wish to appear to be a Pedantic Anorak😋  

Hi GT M. Well there are some folks that would have seen that as being a Scouser Smart A---

There are some people that do actually know a little more useless information than others - perhaps it is down to being a self confessed petrol head.

Hi GT M. Well there are some folks that would have seen that as being a Scouser Smart A---

There are some people that do actually know a little more useless information than others - perhaps it is down to being a self confessed petrol head.

Indeed, but after spending some years in the employ of Michelin, tyres are one thing I do know about;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but are the sipes not there to disperse water when driving in the wet.  The friction comes from the contact between the compound of the tyre and the road surface?

Correct me if I'm wrong but are the sipes not there to disperse water when driving in the wet.  The friction comes from the contact between the compound of the tyre and the road surface?

You are correct, tread, sipes or whatever do not improve friction, tread is only there to disperse water so the rubber can stay in contact with the road. F1 slick tyres have no tread because that gives the most contact/friction with the road surface, they only fit tyres with tread when its wet.

The original spare wheel on a car was called the Stepney Spare Wheel, the man who named it came from Llanelli in West Wales where there are streets named after him ( Stepney Street and Stepney Place come to mind )

Of course, if you want really useless information, the grip of a tyre on the road is not actually due to friction!

Friction, in any scientific sense only applies to smooth hard surfaces and a road is not smooth, nor is a tyre hard.  

Also, friction forces are independent of area of contact, which is clearly not the case with tyres.

If memory serves me correctly the grip of a tyre is due to something called visco-elastic drag which follows a whole different set of rules

Tell you what is useless - Runway behind an aircraft on take off!

• Haha 1

Surely it's useful for the fire tender and ambulances?

• Haha 1

Runway behind you.

Sky above you.

Fuel in the tanker.

i think there was one other but I can’t remember it.

Only birds and idiots fly and birds don’t fly at night.

(if they do, I don’t want to know. I just want to live with my memories!)

When looking for something. ....

"It'll be in the last place you look"

Why would I keep looking when I've found it?

Us outdoor types may  need to know this, the qualities of a good knot,

It is easy to tie,

easy to untie,

serves its purpose; and 

doesn't damage the line.

. ...........and if one finds the appropriate knot  is too difficult to tie return to the good old stand by . ....the Granny knot.

• Like 1

My useless piece of information is that the small spiked wheel on a pair of spurs is called a rowel. (That piece of info won our team £50 in a quiz once. Maybe not quite so useless after all.)

EMERGENCY UPDATE!!!

Bolt required is 2. 5 mm x 10 mm thread length.

Allen key required is 2mm.

• Haha 1

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:28, Orange said:

Runway behind you.

Sky above you.

Fuel in the tanker.

i think there was one other but I can’t remember it.

Only birds and idiots fly and birds don’t fly at night.

(if they do, I don’t want to know. I just want to live with my memories!)

If the runway is behind you and the fuel is still in the tanker you have a problem!

• Haha 1

The other one that I remember as a pilot is planning not done before you leave. .. or was that my flight instructor making it  up!

Jerrycans are so called because we nicked the design from the Germans (Jerry's) in WW2, they were called Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister. ......................................and sleep!

• Like 1

British fuel cans were inferior to the Jerrycans and the British troops collected the Jerrycans the Germans discarded or left behind.

The British fuel can was nicknamed The Floozy. ...................................................................................................................................................................................

because it was thin and easily penetrated.

• Like 1

The above replies has me riveted to my seat. I shall sleep really well tonight thinking about them all!