Sign in to follow this  
Redsgum

Help with breckland driver arm

Yes - I did say similar to.     Back in the 1960's when I first bought a caravan the Scott Halley stabilizer was the only one on the market and it worked wonderfully well.    Gradually other companies copied the idea with slight variations of design.    Western Towing do a Scott plate but at an eye-watering price.    A far cheaper method would be to buy a 2nd-hand model on ebay where you get a guarantee that its all there.  

That brings back memories, I made a copy of one at work as I couldn't afford a new one :)

I towed with these stabilizer for about 20 years and they were a saviour and did work after towing for years with nothing .

I still think they were better than trying to grip a small towball today s designs .

I still think the bulldog 400 would give good results .

https://bulldog-secure. co. uk/shop/bulldog-security/bulldog-400q-anti-snake-twin-stabiliser/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvN7v36mw2wIVAYrICh0O2Q0eEAQYAiABEgIjLfD_BwE

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

i also have a bulldog but without the notch thats pulled over for tension,, i wouldnt use it like your original post but as some have said get the correct bracket,, the pic below is not mine but  how mines fitted,, if u were to put it on the otherside of hitch u would need to fit the entire stabilzer setup and thats a lot of hassle i would replace the small bracket with the correct one also on the inside of the arm it has a cutout the screw slides into to stop it sliding out and i also put a lock in the  end hole too as extra security as thats priceless but thats just me

the setups if done diy are easy,, my caravan came without any so i bought the stabilzer and both brackets as i wouldnt tow without it

stabiliser2.jpg

just looked for u and the stabiliser and brackets are under 40 second hand complete

There are useful videos by John Wickersham on youtube which may be of interest to you.   Youtube Breckland stabiliser.

Edited by gravon42