Sign in to follow this  
Redsgum

Help with breckland driver arm

Hi i hope someone can help please ive bought a caravan recently and just had new towbar fitted same as the previous owner so i wouldnt have any problems with the towing arm that came with the van however i dont understand how it stays connected to the towbar by the screw in the side (it keeps slipping out)

Ive noticed a hole at the end of the arm is there a pin thats meant to go through it to prevent it coming away ive included a picture to try and let you see the setup if anyone can shed any light on it id vey much appreciate it thanks

towing arm.jpg

Hi i hope someone can help please ive bought a caravan recently and just had new towbar fitted same as the previous owner so i wouldnt have any problems with the towing arm that came with the van however i dont understand how it stays connected to the towbar by the screw in the side (it keeps slipping out)

Ive noticed a hole at the end of the arm is there a pin thats meant to go through it to prevent it coming away ive included a picture to try and let you see the setup if anyone can shed any light on it id vey much appreciate it thanks

towing arm.jpg

Hi, you need to dismantle the 'friction end' and turn the fixed plate over, there should be a notch cut into the plate that aligns with the retaining screw, preventing it slipping out !

Edited by DONNYKIA
  • Like 1

If memory serves me correctly there are two problems here.

1. There were several of these leaf type stabilisers and you appear to have mismatched components.   It looks to me like a Bulldog stabiliser and this had a sideways bracket on the car, not the inline one shown.

2 The hole should have a securing pin, which is in turn retained by a R clip.

• Like 2

I think you maybe right Stevan ive took more pics its a breckland tow arm and a bulldog end on car but the guy i bought it from towed it without  any problem  i see the mark on the arm where the metal screw in has been holding it i realise it should have a cut out on it but do you think it will be ok as he has been using it without any problem

I thought about your idea too donnykia maybe it was assembled wrong and the original owner was using it unaware im scratching my head now the seller made it look so easy and towed it for me

Would something like this make it more safe?

tow-bar-hitch-pins-250x250.jpg

I remember my father using one of the these albeit it several years ago now. I remember it being a tough beastie to use.

I dont want to state the obvious but have you got the stabiliser fitted upside down? If you turned it the other way up the ‘notch’ in the end in the holder would allow it to be held in place by the screw (it cant then pull out). I remember that when fitted, the ‘leaf’ of the stabiliser had to drop downwards ie was lifted into the runner slot on the caravan and was thus under tension. .

• Like 1

Ye i thought about it being upside down you are correct about the curve curling downwards but theres no way it could fit upside down as the lever for pulling down on the friction plate would be upside down

Ye i thought about it being upside down you are correct about the curve curling downwards but theres no way it could fit upside down as the lever for pulling down on the friction plate would be upside down

arm.jpg

It looks like the type that had an handle on the top to release the tension on a cam. 

A complete one off ebay can't be much 

Yes, your picture brings back memories. As others have said my only suggestion is to unscrew the friction assembly and turn over the short arm so that the notch holds it in the receiver when the screw is fitted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies however ive juat spent £380 to get the towbar fitted to suit this arm i was just confused as to how it was held in place by the screw on the side which i observed the guy tightening is it an easy job to dismantle and turn aroundjust curious why the original owner didnt think of this as hes spent a few bob on the van new tyres and stuff

Thanks for the replies however ive juat spent £380 to get the towbar fitted to suit this arm i was just confused as to how it was held in place by the screw on the side which i observed the guy tightening is it an easy job to dismantle and turn aroundjust curious why the original owner didnt think of this as hes spent a few bob on the van new tyres and stuff

The point is that you appear to have mismatched and incomplete bits and pieces. For safety you really need one full set properly assembled. A new set off Ebay  costs less than £80 and it should be less than an hours labour to fit it. I would rather do without a stabiliser than use your setup!

• Like 1

Have you Googled breckland stabiliser 

bulldog+caravan+stabiliser+images&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=aRlXvWGf88qt8M%253A%252CiHxn0G_KJEqlLM%252C_&usg=__TfZaCUH8jQbIYzrXClksgAfghEM%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWxvP1u4PbAhVEe8AKHbAKDkAQ9QEIwwEwAw#imgrc=aRlXvWGf88qt8M:

Edited by wigandiver

Hi i cant seem to get a link to that site thanks

I just googled  breckland stabiliser  and got straight into their site.   They have one which looks a lot like yours but the towball end plate is mounted differently.

• Thanks 1

I have altered it. left click, hold and high light. Scroll down for images.

• Thanks 1

arm.jpg

This type of stabilizer which is a copy of the original 1950's Scott should have a bracket bolted to the tow bar similar to this one . ..... 

bracket.jpg.c49f030326f0817d9b9711ca3b41c107.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input everyone i think jaydugg has got it right this is the part i need i dont want to sound like a skinflint but cant i just file out a small section so that the bolt sits in ? I will try and order the part jaydugg mentioned

Thanks for the input everyone i think jaydugg has got it right this is the part i need i dont want to sound like a skinflint but cant i just file out a small section so that the bolt sits in ? I will try and order the part jaydugg mentioned

You could. ..…. But the receiver does not look to be the right size in the photos so it would, at best, be a cobble up and may not work well. Much better to get the right receiver and be sure.

• Thanks 1

but the receiver does not look to be the right size in the photos so it would, at best, be a cobble up and may not work well. Much better to get the right receiver and be sure.

Yes - I did say similar to.     Back in the 1960's when I first bought a caravan the Scott Halley stabilizer was the only one on the market and it worked wonderfully well.    Gradually other companies copied the idea with slight variations of design.    Western Towing do a Scott plate but at an eye-watering price.    A far cheaper method would be to buy a 2nd-hand model on ebay where you get a guarantee that its all there.  

• Thanks 1

Breckland stabilisers are still going and in fact, have just looked and they are in Norfolk. A brand new back plate for their stabiliser is £26. 45 inc VAT (I guess + some postage).

It really would be best to consider buying the correct receiver for your stabiliser, the turning action is such that the stabiliser could work loose in an incorrect bracket and fall out which would not improve the caravan or the car or your safety.

I think if the bracket behind the towball is removed and put back 180 degrees round so the stabiliser fits  on the other side of the towball, the problem will be sorted. The fastening screw will then go into the slot in the stabilser. We had a similar Bulldog leaf stabiliser and I think the hole in the end of the arm was for a padlock or similar as a theft precaution. It will also get the big round part of the stabiliser away from the towball.

Edited by Paul1957

Breckland stabilisers are still going

In fact they are a comparatively new company to the market which is a surprise when so many caravans these days are  fitted with built in stabilizers.    Here's a diagram of the whole set up for a blade type stabilizer.  

P1010956.jpg.a4e13dd5083d16dbdc2248ce928d8852.jpg

For it to work as it should the discs need to be adjusted so that the free end of the leaf takes about 28kgs of push or pull to move it.         Also when the leaf is fitted to the slipper bracket it should be about 5" higher than its relaxed position.

"I think if the bracket behind the towball is removed and put back 180 degrees round so the stabiliser fits  on the other side of the towball, the problem will be sorted."

I don't agree. The 'big round part of the stabiliser' is where the friction discs sit and the centre bolt is where the pivot point of the caravan on the towball should be. Moving the centre bolt further away from the towball risks the arm of the stabiliser dropping out of the shoe on a bend. I've used a similar stabiliser since 1989 and the bracket looks as if it doesn't belong to that particular stabiliser as others have mentioned. It would be good to fix the stabiliser properly; I'd hate to be trying to avoid a piece of metal like that if it should fall out.

Edited by hawkaye

For the small cost of £26. 45 there is really no reason for not getting the correct mounting plate http://www. brecklandtrading. co. uk/stability/car-mounting-plates. html  . At first I thought the correct mounting plate had been supplied by the original owner and that maybe it had just been put on the wrong way round. If the previous owner had not been using the correct mounting plate, then possibly the bracket on the caravan A frame might need adjusting. Fortunately the Breckland site has installation instructions.