Sign in to follow this  
Hair Bear

Electric hook up at festivals

Did the first trip out with the Gruau this weekend and all went very well. However, not having had the ability to use a hookup before I hadn't taken any notice of the price until now and was suprised at the cost. I'll point out this was not a camp site, it was a festival held at the East of England showground and they were asking £75 for two nights electric (not a misprint. .. seventy five pounds!). Would that be normal for a festival type operation? This was additional to the £120 already spent on two nights pitch and entertainment. Needless to say we managed very nicely on battery power for the two days but unfortunately most others decided the cheaper option was to run generators 24/7.

I have been to a few festivals over the years, mostly without the van.  

Electric hook-ups tend to be for commercial traders in the main and are priced accordingly, and so the punters normally go for the battery option.

Normally the music drowns out the generators, but that will depend on where you are pitched!!

4 hours ago, NobbyTucker said:

I have been to a few festivals over the years, mostly without the van.  

Electric hook-ups tend to be for commercial traders in the main and are priced accordingly, and so the punters normally go for the battery option.

Normally the music drowns out the generators, but that will depend on where you are pitched!!

Music? do they have that at these festival things then? All I've ever heard is a dreadful noise that would make the noisiest of Briggs & Stratton generators sound sweet.

We use hook-up pitches when camping at airshows - yes they're expensive but one glance at the cable infrastructure and cost of almost silent industrial generator which has to be set up and dismantled, very labour intensive, makes the price look appropriate. There's usually the alternative of using your own 12v. We've also caravanned off-EHU at 3 day music festivals lasting 2+ days on an old car battery before switching to a younger car battery used normally.

It comes down to how much energy do you need/want to consume.

We've caravanned at a couple of events at the East of England showground in the past.    I was told that the high cost of a hook-up (£90 quoted to me) was because the electrical boxes around the site only contain a 3-phase fuse board, and for each hook-up, they need to get an electrician to wire into the fuse board, and disconnect it again afterwards.

It’s not normally set up for caravans so as has been described there is a significant amount of work involved - hope you enjoyed truckfest 

Just come from the Scottish National which had 120 hook ups all laid out by volunteers, 3 men for a long day, and that as about £6 night for 6 amps. It is expensive but makes life easier. The 3 men also had to dismantle it all again and the cables are all pretty heavy.

Ian

Thanks for the responses, at least I now know it's not a one-off. I hadn't intended to use a hookup or take the genny but the ticket sellers did appear a little disappointed when I told them I didn't need it.

Thanks.

If memory serves, I'm sure have heard comments on here about it being illegal for caravan site owners to charge more than cost (+ administrative charge) for electricity because otherwise they are operating as an energy company and with that all the associated bureaucracy. I believe this was discussed within the context of 'official' sites like C&CC and CC so maybe not relevant for festivals etc.

But that’s probably for mains electric not for a generator supply 

If memory serves, I'm sure have heard comments on here about it being illegal for caravan site owners to charge more than cost (+ administrative charge) for electricity because otherwise they are operating as an energy company and with that all the associated bureaucracy. I believe this was discussed within the context of 'official' sites like C&CC and CC so maybe not relevant for festivals etc.

The infrastructure cost can be added.

Just reread the thread and sorry I missed the question!

Yes thank you Frank, as good a show as always - if rather hot and dusty.

We go to lots of music festivals throughout the year, and yes, hook ups at them are expensive. Our local festival is £95 (plus booking fees) for 3 days/nights!

As others have said, there is a huge amount of work setting the areas up, so no surprise at the cost.

Generators are banned, for obvious reasons, get caught using one and you're ejected from the site!

Although we always take a spare battery, we've never needed to use it, managed fine on the 'van one with out being too frugal with the power either.

I think the way the legislation is worded, metered electricity cannot be re-sold at a higher rate than the national grid supply charge, but if someone wants to sell you an electrical supply connection for £100 per night its probably not illegal. The caravan Club are renting out the electric connection for a fixed amount per night and a proper audit of detailed accounts would reveal the true amount.

• Like 1

I raised this here,and elsewhere,recently where charges of £5 a night were being introduced on an occasional site.

I was told that yes they could only charge what they paid for the energy,plus a small admin add-on, but the balance was 'rental' of their EHU, which isn't illegal.

geoff