Sign in to follow this  
Drabbers

Urban exploration!!

Anybody on here interested in urban exploration? Don't know what it is? It's getting out and "seeing" places of neglect, been forgotten or abandoned, left to Mother Earth. Some places can make for some rather interesting and spectacular looking shots. If you are unsure what you can do or see visit https://www. 28dayslater. co. uk/ for a better look and idea.

Nope sorry mate but countryside, seaside, rivers and mountains for us. But enjoy the world would be very boring if we all wanted the same thing.

I've recently taken an interest in urban photography. Looking at some old photos of Newport and then thinking how much it has changed since I started work, I've decided to photograph any abandoned/disused sites, and then to update them if/when any development or building works begins. A local school was closed and demolished nearby, it's currently under development as 20+ flats. Also, the main Post Office sorting office (closed),  has just been boarded up.   I'll be keeping an eye on it to see when it gets demolished/refurbished. A nearby old Sainsburys was closed and has recently been demolished, leaving a very large area for possible development. I'll also be keeping an eye on the proposed M4 development to the south of Newport. (I won't hold my breath on THAT one though.)

46 minutes ago, Townie said:

I've recently taken an interest in urban photography. Looking at some old photos of Newport and then thinking how much it has changed since I started work, I've decided to photograph any abandoned/disused sites, and then to update them if/when any development or building works begins. A local school was closed and demolished nearby, it's currently under development as 20+ flats. Also, the main Post Office sorting office (closed),  has just been boarded up.   I'll be keeping an eye on it to see when it gets demolished/refurbished. A nearby old Sainsburys was closed and has recently been demolished, leaving a very large area for possible development. I'll also be keeping an eye on the proposed M4 development to the south of Newport. (I won't hold my breath on THAT one though.)

We have a box of archive photos of nice buildings in Newport from the local newspaper.

Across the bridge from town there are some great buildings on the right which are in a right mess. A couple of hotels in town too are lovely old buildings completely spoiled.

As for the post office? Its a dump and should have been bulldozed 30 years ago. Sainsbury's? Sains b. ...y Sainsbury's? Did you say Sainsbury's? Oh no!

We (SWMBO as well!) went to a WI open meeting the other evening which featured photographs from the history of our local County Town.

Very interesting too. ..she attends a weekly Local History group which does High Street walks and discusses what was where and reviews the census and street plans of a specific period.

Me, my scene is normally further back than 1800's onward. ...I am in another Local History Group that covers from the Romans to pre 1800's including a considerable amount of industrial work. ...such as the historic mining in Wensleydale or the Iron Industry of the Cleveland Hills. ...I am also working with a local archeology group on fieldwork from medieval period. ...all good fun.

geoff

p. s. I caravan too.

On 30/04/2018 at 18:43, Drabbers said:

If you are unsure what you can do or see visit https://www. 28dayslater. co. uk/ for a better look and idea.

Just 2 clicks got me to this page … unsurprisingly I went no further!

(I've pixelated the offending obsceneties)

John

26 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Just 2 clicks got me to this page … unsurprisingly I went no further!

image.png.0717e33864da46a5b03f8ed28fe22a25.png

(I've pixelated the offending obsceneties)

John

I've just had a look at the site  and there's lots of interesting posts and threads such as this https://www. 28dayslater. co. uk/threads/raf-disforth-abandoned-bomb-dump. 15540/

I think the page you clicked on ' Location map .'  is what many folk would click on to gain access to the locations of all the sites, without doing any investigative or exploration work whatsoever.

The third line says it all:

You are tourist number 125243 looking for information on a plate instead of actually getting out there and EXPLORING!!!

I think it's a tongue in cheek post suggesting doing your own thing rather than gaining benefit from the work of others.

Yes the Bomb dump at Dishforth interested me as it is only a few minutes from home. ..airfield all but inactive as the helicopters have gone now.

geoff

We had pit tips which turned into pleasant tree covered mounds where deer and other animals called their home.  Now they've been reindustrialised and turned into sugar tips :(

I think sugar could be the wrong word :mellow:

53 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

We had pit tips which turned into pleasant tree covered mounds where deer and other animals called their home.   Now they've been reindustrialised and turned into sugar tips :(

I think sugar could be the wrong word :mellow:

The word still starts with S,  I presume. :P

2 hours ago, Silversurf said:

I think the page you clicked on ' Location map .'  is what many folk would click on to gain access to the locations of all the sites, without doing any investigative or exploration work whatsoever.

The third line says it all:

You are tourist number 125243 looking for information on a plate instead of actually getting out there and EXPLORING!!!

I think it's a tongue in cheek post suggesting doing your own thing rather than gaining benefit from the work of others.

Yes I did read and understand it … and I can easily be 'tongue in cheek' without using those words.

And do you use, say, Google Maps to find something? Chances are, you do  … and are therefore 'gaining benefit from the work of others'.

John

Many, though not all of the 28 Days brigade are a danger to both themselves and others. They trespass or worse, break into sites and pretend they are 'exploring' when in reality they are merely vandalising. They have no regard for safety, theirs or anyone else's.

I have been in the position of defending sites against such people. The attitude shown above is typical.

On 15/12/2018 at 18:07, Ern said:

We have a box of archive photos of nice buildings in Newport from the local newspaper.

Across the bridge from town there are some great buildings on the right which are in a right mess. A couple of hotels in town too are lovely old buildings completely spoiled.

As for the post office? Its a dump and should have been bulldozed 30 years ago. Sainsbury's? Sains b. ...y Sainsbury's? Did you say Sainsbury's? Oh no!

Hi Ern, I remember Newport bridge having shops on the town end back in the days when the Old Green roundabout was a set of traffic lights. There also used to be a lane leading down to the riverside behind them (Screw Packet Lane?) where the big red "Wave" sculpture is now. As for Sainsburys, I remember that being the old Ice House around the same time. It's things like that that I want to photograph now, before they disappear forever. Regarding the buildings being in a right mess, the old Art College, (now apartments) doesn't look too bad, it's the shops and the old TJs nightclub which are an absolute disgrace, mind you, TJs was an absolute disgrace when it was up and running!!

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:01, Townie said:

Hi Ern, I remember Newport bridge having shops on the town end back in the days when the Old Green roundabout was a set of traffic lights. There also used to be a lane leading down to the riverside behind them (Screw Packet Lane?) where the big red "Wave" sculpture is now. As for Sainsburys, I remember that being the old Ice House around the same time. It's things like that that I want to photograph now, before they disappear forever. Regarding the buildings being in a right mess, the old Art College, (now apartments) doesn't look too bad, it's the shops and the old TJs nightclub which are an absolute disgrace, mind you, TJs was an absolute disgrace when it was up and running!!

Sorry  I have only just noticed your post. I find Newport's industrial buildings and buildings associated with its flourishing industrial base, fascinating. As a working town and sea port,  its real strength and character has been forgotten. This is often the case with towns and cities - that the real character of the place has become something unfashionable.  

Sign in to follow this