Update - back at the caravan and unhappily my repair did not work so still leaking. What a pain.  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is it not a design fault???

Hi Everyone Just had the leaking roof strap problem on my Unicorn 3 Seville. I made lots of enquiries about it with dealers and was quoted £461.80 to have a new strap fitted. Expensive piece of a

Just an update. I had put silicon(see below) along the strap and around the ends. I chose this brand as they had a display sealing a joint of almost the same material as the caravan construction. B

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, machone said:

Update - back at the caravan and unhappily my repair did not work so still leaking. What a pain.  

You must be gutted by this. Can you not reject the caravan? Clearly the fault existed from new, they've had a chance to repair etc.

4 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

You must be gutted by this. Can you not reject the caravan? Clearly the fault existed from new, they've had a chance to repair etc.

What repair? only the DIY attempt as far as I recall.

21 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

What repair? only the DIY attempt as far as I recall.

Youre correct, I'd mis read the post, I thought it was a dealer / factory repair

I stand corrected !

Edited by Guest

Possibly now that he has done it himself they have reason to void the warranty and also any chance of rejecting it.

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

28 minutes ago, birdman101 said:

Possibly now that he has done it himself they have reason to void the warranty and also any chance of rejecting it.

That's a distinct possibility although IIRC he was just going to tape over the joint?

In hindsight he would have been better off buying a caravan locally at least then warranty support would have been available there.

I don't see the warranty being void.

Its not unusual for owners to DIY prior to booking in for a repair, its not as if its an unknown problem.

12 hours ago, machone said:

Shame it hasn't stopped the leak until the main repair, though you may find your sealant joint may not have adhered to the grp especially if not fully cleaned and is easily removed. Just my opinion but I would use none setting sealant in the cartridge or strip and push it into both sides of the joints and end cap with your thumb after applying a thick layer.   Be careful not to lean heavily on the roof and rear panels around the joint.

I also would worry about any warranty being invalidated, just don't remove the roof strap.  

• 2 months later...

Whether repair under warranty will be accepted may be down to your dealer when you get back (unless you bought privately). If they're happy to do it then does Bailey even need to know that you added extra sealant to the outside if it cleans off ok? You might have to pay them a little extra for that 'clean up' but I definitely would not be removing end caps for that could certainly lead to bigger problems.  

• 1 month later...

Away at the mo in our s3 Barcelona and it’s leaking through the roof at side of bed. were only 360 miles from home looks like a call to the dealers to see what’s what .

8 hours ago, Ukstee said:

Away at the mo in our s3 Barcelona and it’s leaking through the roof at side of bed. were only 360 miles from home looks like a call to the dealers to see what’s what .

Deffo need to get that sorted. ! It’s a known issue. Ours happened, and we pulled down the white strip in the middle slightly (3-4inches) and then captured the run off into a small bowl.

our dealer did a temp fix quickly and then we got the main strip replaced under warranty.

dont let it ruin your holiday

Having just had mine repaired due to a leak the dealer did state  that they had only removed and resealed the end caps. First good rain session will see if they have fixed the leak. ...

• 4 months later...

Update to the above and my Bailey Unicorn Vigo:

When the temperature increased a little the sealant hardened and the repair worked. I have lived in the caravan for the last year and it has coped admirably. As I write I am on my way south with it possibly to sell, as I am taking a break from my time North. There follows a quick list of things I liked and things I did not like about the caravan. As a commuter I did not want to spend hours ‘tinkering’ but equally I have not towed it very much.

Liked:

Windows - double glazed, clear, easy to clean and lots of them making the space feel bigger than it is.

Heating - Aldi. Having lived with blown air heating this is far superior and coped just fine with two Arctic winters.

Water - If it wasn’t for the walk to the tap to empty and refill this behaved just like a domestic system.

Fridge - big fridge freezer brilliant for residential/commuter use.

Motor mover - Did Not know I needed one of these until I had it! Essential for lone manouvring, especially in snowy conditions.

Isabella winter awning - recommend from this site, this coped with all conditions and did no damage to the caravan.

Did not like:

Matress - this ‘sank’ and I am average weight and height. Not comfortable and would have been replaced if I had stayed longer.

Leak - See above but had the potential of ruining the van and bad support from Bailey.

Floor - not well insulated for Arctic conditions and interesting that caravans made in the North have heated floors. Better insulation would have helped.

Fittings - some of the plastic catches would benefit from being heavier built, the side locker is taped shut to prevent it flapping open in a strong breeze.

Toilet - if the thetford cassette is not clipped in properly there is some horrible cleaning up ahead! No drain in the compartment is a very strange thing.

Overall, the van served my purpose and kept me warm and dry in some horrible conditions, probably worse than it was designed for. It was towed through mountain passes through snow and hail through several countries and with different tow vehicles. Would I recommend it? Yes, but be prepared for a little diy here and there.

3A31F209-23C3-4244-94E8-1EF7F712B6F0.jpeg

• 4 months later...

BAILEY UNICORN ROOF LEAKING ? JOIN THE CLUB!

I am new to caravanning and have purchased a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Seville which was maintained by a boatyard owner who had staff trained in Al-Co trailer maintenance, gas, water, heating and electrical safety servicing and therefore did not see the need to pay for an annual Bailey service, beyond allowing his own staff to upkeep his caravan. However after purchase I had the van serviced by a nearby NCC approved caravan supplier who also sells Swift caravans, since my nearest Bailey dealership is 43 miles from my home town of Saltash and would involve a full day towing the vehicle both ways and waiting while it was serviced. This dealership found all well except for a high 70% damp reading in the rear toilet compartment, despite the rest of the van showing just 12-14%. During the next heavy rain I thoroughly investigated the source of the water ingress causing this and located water ingress from a leaking roof strap, which I have since found to be extremely common in Bailey vans with roofs made up in two parts. I contacted Bailey and never managed to discover even the name or contact number of any member of staff prepared to discuss my problem with me! I was referred every time by a disinterested member of customer "service" staff to the fact that because the van had not been serviced on an annual basis it was not under guarantee and was not their problem, despite my starting each conversation by offering this information and letting it be known, I simply wanted to discuss the purchase of a repair kit I had found out about from the multitude of blogs from similarly affected owners on this site and the caravan and motorhome club and caravan and camping club forums, all of which have similar threads of complaint. 

Each time the answer was the same, "you need to speak with a dealer and they will be able to help you." I eventually did speak to several dealers all of which were between 40 to 60 miles from me in Saltash and they confirmed this is one of their most common and disliked guarantee repair jobs. The leak is caused in my van and those of this age and before, by the reliance of Bailey on a T shaped aluminium joining strip being stuck to the flat roof panels using a mastic which before drying hard is pulled down onto the roof by internal bolts through clamps which grip from the inside and pull the strip down squeezing out much of the mastic so in places it is impossible to be sure that sufficient was there in the first place and after tightening there will certainly not be the mastic producer's recommended minimum thickness to provide tensile strength against the possibility of hairline cracking along the whole length of the joint. This is a situation, which is so obviously a fault of design and production that the question of having observed the annual service conditions will make no difference to it failing. It will simply save Bailey from having to recall all vans and refit their newly designed strip and only fit it to those which are obviously leaking and stem the residual damage caused by 12 months damp at most.

The repair kit while not advertised for members of the general public on their parts site may be observed listed on their Prima parts site under part number 2130325 (search Bailey UN3 & UN4 Roof Strap Replacement Kit) and consists of: 1 x roof joint rail, 2 x roof rail end caps, 5 x brackets, 3m insulation strip, 1 x joint cover, 5 x washer, 5 x screws, 2 x sealant tubes, 1 x primer, 1 aerosol cleaner, 1 roll of butyl tape at a cost of £220.98 plus postage. This is an eye watering price when one considers that you will already have the two end caps which may be cleaned and reused together with the original stainless steel brackets, washers and bolts. The Butyl strip is available for approximately £12 and Soudal sealant for a further £8.00. It means in short they are asking anybody not under guarantee to pay nearly £170 for 2.5 metres of extruded aluminium strip painted white and £160 to a dealer to fit since I cannot buy, to fit myself, an item to make good a fault in their own design. A state of affairs I consider absolutely outrageous!

The only difference I have discovered after talking with the dealerships involved in fitting this "repair" kit is that instead of fixing the strip with a hardened mastic of indeterminate thickness which is bound to crack a number of times, not least because the aluminium sealing strap will expand and shrink at a different rate than the glass fibre to which it is attached, Bailey recognised that a softer seal capable of absorbing expansion and maintaining a steady thickness along the whole length was required and for that reason have replaced their reliance on a mastic seal with a butyl strip which is used extensively for many hatch covers and pockets around the exterior of caravans and motorhomes nowadays. It is incredibly sticky and will not become hard and brittle so does not crack. I have used it myself to change my water pressure inlet valve, on my caravan.

The dealerships I spoke with have been trained by Bailey to gently prying away the leaking aluminium straps which are bound to become distorted and then most importantly, thoroughly clean the area surrounding the joint to enable the butyl mastic strip to adhere. The new strap is then laid in place, clamped from the inside as previously and the ends finished with a softer soudal mastic than previously used to include sticking  new end caps back in place. This tedious process will take the dealership on average two workers and 4 hours.  

Since I have not managed to speak with anybody at Bailey yet and found their customer service appalling although their dealerships have all been very helpful and forthcoming, I have for the moment taken off the end caps from my leaking strap, cleaned and resealed them using soudal mastic and carefully cleaned out the dodgy looking mastic all the way along the joint on both sides before re-sealing it with softer soudal mastic. In addition I have removed the internal ceiling cover from the inside of the van to avoid any water leaking through the joint being diverted to the walls either side of the caravan and to alert me if there is any fresh leakage, since at the moment my efforts seem to have temporarily stopped the leaking.  

You are correct that this is/was a bad design flaw by Bailey and the fact that the van hasn't had a proper service record does mean that Bailey won't be interested.

You could of course start quoting CRA rules but in all honesty I think I would bite the bullet,tow it to the dealers ,have it done and forget about it.

We had the same leak,with a 40 mile tow,but since the repair it has been no further problem so have it done and then enjoy your van.

A local AWS service chappie MAY be able to do the job therefore getting rid of the tow but you would of course have to ensure a dry day unless you store under cover.

I find it strange when people complain about Bailey  Customer Service,I have always had prompt and informative replies to e-mails,sometimes within an hour or two.

Ian

In fact it is not extremely common, just that you hear on the forum from those who have had the problem. We had a Unicorn with the unmodified strap but didn’t have any problems. The van was stored outside and was used all year round in every type of weather. Presumably you saved quite a bit of money by not buying from a dealer and knew the warranty conditions had not been met when you bought it.

Edited by Bobsandy
Further info
29 minutes ago, Bobsandy said:

In fact it is not extremely common, just that you hear on the forum from those who have had the problem. We had a Unicorn with the unmodified strap but didn’t have any problems. The van was stored outside and was used all year round in every type of weather. Presumably you saved quite a bit of money by not buying from a dealer and knew the warranty conditions had not been met when you bought it.

21 hours ago, Bob Didymus said:

BAILEY UNICORN ROOF LEAKING ? JOIN THE CLUB!

I am new to caravanning and have purchased a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Seville which was maintained by a boatyard owner who had staff trained in Al-Co trailer maintenance, gas, water, heating and electrical safety servicing and therefore did not see the need to pay for an annual Bailey service, beyond allowing his own staff to upkeep his caravan. However after purchase I had the van serviced by a nearby NCC approved caravan supplier who also sells Swift caravans, since my nearest Bailey dealership is 43 miles from my home town of Saltash and would involve a full day towing the vehicle both ways and waiting while it was serviced.

Terms & Conditions are Terms & Conditions … Sadly it's as blunt as that.

I'd just get a Bailey dealer to repair the roof strap and move on. The other benefit is that you will get a dealer guarantee & a guarantee by law to the work you've paid for.

Edited by Silverback
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 14:45, Silverback said:

Terms & Conditions are Terms & Conditions … Sadly it's as blunt as that.

I'd just get a Bailey dealer to repair the roof strap and move on. The other benefit is that you will get a dealer guarantee & a guarantee by law to the work you've paid for.

The empathy from those correspondents about the roof strap leak problem, shared I assure you by many does touch at my heartstrings, but I was moved to write about the problem with my roofstrap more to shed light on to the problem, to those affected and can happily advise that after forcing soudal RV61 mastic into each side of the existing joint using a plastic grouting tooling device, after scraping out dodgy cracked looking lengths and removing the end caps and replacing them with copious amount of the same mastic has left me free from further leaks for 2000 miles since my post. I have also taken the trouble to paint the new mastic hoping to preserve it for as long as possible from mould and ultra violet degradation.

The writers following who suggested that I would be able to recover a guarantee on my caravan body, by having the roof strap work done by a dealer are incorrect and if Tandem Man really does receive replies on a regular basis to his emails within an hour or two please, please let us all know the email address you send your enquiries to, since my last technical question about an incorrect part ordered from Prima took a day for an automatic acknowledgement to be received advising me I would normally receive a reply within 5 working days, but it was a further 4 weeks before I received a reply which simply repeated back to me, the suggestion I had made to them at the time of writing, mistaken I can only assume by the sender at Bailey consumer service, as the solution to my problem provided by their technical support section. 

On 27/06/2019 at 17:59, Bob Didymus said:

The empathy from those correspondents about the roof strap leak problem, shared I assure you by many does touch at my heartstrings, but I was moved to write about the problem with my roofstrap more to shed light on to the problem, to those affected and can happily advise that after forcing soudal RV61 mastic into each side of the existing joint using a plastic grouting tooling device, after scraping out dodgy cracked looking lengths and removing the end caps and replacing them with copious amount of the same mastic has left me free from further leaks for 2000 miles since my post. I have also taken the trouble to paint the new mastic hoping to preserve it for as long as possible from mould and ultra violet degradation.

The writers following who suggested that I would be able to recover a guarantee on my caravan body, by having the roof strap work done by a dealer are incorrect and if Tandem Man really does receive replies on a regular basis to his emails within an hour or two please, please let us all know the email address you send your enquiries to, since my last technical question about an incorrect part ordered from Prima took a day for an automatic acknowledgement to be received advising me I would normally receive a reply within 5 working days, but it was a further 4 weeks before I received a reply which simply repeated back to me, the suggestion I had made to them at the time of writing, mistaken I can only assume by the sender at Bailey consumer service, as the solution to my problem provided by their technical support section. 

Tbh everyone and their dog should be fully aware of Bailey's roof strap potential leak 🙄 ... Not sure what paint you used on the none setting mastic & GRP skin around your roof strap but strangely sound it sadly  sounds a little ... 🤔

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have just bought a 2017 Unicorn Cabrera and guess what the roof strap is leaking onto my bed. Unfortunately Bailey won't cover with warranty as previous owner had it serviced by an unapproved company thus invalidating my warranty.

Anyhow I am going to attempt this fix myself, I am writing for any tips or advice. If I undo the 7 clamping brackets from inside the bedroom should the strap prise out once the seal has broken? Also how are the endcaps fastened in, are they just stuck in with sealant or fastened mechanically ?

I intend to thoroughly clean the strap and roof and use double sided butyl tape to reseal the strap and reclamp back down. Was wondering if the clamping bolts had a torque setting or not? Not sure how the endcaps should be resealed, plenty of mastic I would assume unless they are mechanically held in place.

Has anyone removed the straps and endcaps themselves that could advise please, thanks in advance

I would suggest just getting a mobile caravan tech to visit your home - and repair it for you with the Bailey kit.  Mine leaked but the new strap is better designed - so I dont think it is just sealing - it is also the newer components.

It might be worth getting it done - not a big job - just to protect your van long term?

DJ

Bought a late 2014 model Bailey pursuit 400-2 from a dealer a few weeks ago, and not even been out in it yet only to discover water running down inside wall dividing kitchen/living area and bathroom. Dripping down inside of microwave cupboard. Wish I had seen this forum before I spent huge amount of money. Will be ringing dealer tomorrow and will update. 🙄

Spoke to dealer, obviously aware of common fault. Did temporary repair across roof strap using clear gorilla tape.

Dealer has new roof straps in stock, getting booked in very soon.

It will be great once done - the modification works well!

Don't worry - and quick job too!

DJ

• 3 weeks later...