Sign in to follow this  
Myiot

Checking the water?

Thanks Myiot. Totally understand, but was hoping as you said assembly was a possible stumbling block for you, so was hoping kit with pre-programmed PIC or whatever may be workable.

Good luck with the project.

Mike

On 30/04/2018 at 17:16, Myiot said:

. ..

Hawkaye, thanks for your encouragement.   Translucent cans make life easy, can you see them OK in the dark? Aquatest can.

No I can't see the jerrycans in the dark until I put a torch on the ground next to the step. It shines under the caravan so I can see to empty the waste and fill the jerrycan that needs topping up. The water supply and the waste cans are a similar size so when the water is low, it's practically certain the waste needs emptying. Not very technical, but now after several years, second nature.

As far as the toilet is concerned, it has a warning light to show it's full. In practice it gets emptied every 2 days, whatever the level. I've coped with an over-full toilet when the children caravanned with us. It's not an experience I'm anxious to repeat.

My Aquatest arrived today, virtually the next day.

And it works fine!

Best £2. 99 I think I've ever spent.  

Neat and clever device Myiot, well done.

Wishing you success with the aquatest.

I may well buy one.

John

As above. Not tried it in anger yet but sure works on a pint of beer.  A key ring tag in a robust case sort of thing at the right price would March off the shelves.  Well done you

14 hours ago, daveat92 said:

My Aquatest arrived today, virtually the next day.

And it works fine!

Best £2. 99 I think I've ever spent.  

Still does not help if you are showering and run out of water.   If it is pouring with rain do you really want to go outside to chekc the level of the water before showering?  As you will get soaked no point in showering just take the soap out with you.   😄

Myiot,

On your web-page I do not see the option for purchasing more than one aquatest at a time.

John

Fill the aquaroll every evening and empty the waste problem solved and the toilet tank has a warning light or simply peek down the hole . Why invent something that people have manage to survive for 50 years + with no issues ?

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're very flattered by the positive responses :)

Responding to a few comments:

daveat92 - so flattered! :)

Durbanite - you need Aqualert but it isn't £2. 99. ..

CommanderDave - don't buy one! We're not offended! Where do you buy your gas mantles? ;)

Alan Stanley - It works on most beer glasses! A keyfob would be great but that's seriously expensive :(

Ian

(Mod edit: @'s removed)

• Like 1

Very cool! And it makes me happy to see innovations seen through to sales - I too am an electronic hobbyist but never see things through. Well done.

No good for me personally, I'm hooked up to the mains via a pressure reducer.

Good luck with the ventures, Myiot. .

I take a small (hopefully polite) issue  with Cdr Dave, not because I particularly need a new gizmo, but simply to suggest it’s perhaps a little harsh to ask the “why bother?” question. ..  I’m fairly sure many folks held the same view over washing machines, vacuum cleaners, double glazing, central heating and a hundred other things which were invented. .. perhaps we can include dishwashers and caravan towing covers in the list too. ... some may think them a waste of time but we’re not all minded the same, nor should we be.

Not everyone sees the value in such things but if enough do, then they now have a product available which they appreciate. ...and the inventor may make a living from their manufacture, or simply gain satisfaction from making something which a number of folks value. ... I don’t think it’s very kind to imply  that the inventor wasted his time and the buyers wasted their money because it wasn’t perceived as useful for many years.  I’d be fairly confident that some folks consider several inventions a complete waste of time but (imho) that doesn’t call for anyone to knock their efforts.

As it happens, I learned and have used Dave’s checking methods for many years too, and they work fine for me as well. but I still wish Myiot and his customers satisfaction and defend their right to invent and buy what pleases them.

• Like 4

I've just bought an Aquatest. I was just wondering out loud how you can tell how much water you've got without looking in or kicking it or something. Well done for coming up with something useful. .... 

Just wanted to say that my aquatest is very handy, and other caravanners are fascinated by it! I’m interested to see how much water gets used (first ever caravanning trip) and it’s much easier and more accurate than trying to guess by giving it a shoogle.  

On 03/05/2018 at 10:06, Durbanite said:

Still does not help if you are showering and run out of water.   If it is pouring with rain do you really want to go outside to chekc the level of the water before showering?  As you will get soaked no point in showering just take the soap out with you.   😄

Yes, I would rather go outside to check the level before showering than have it run out. Obviously you would rather it ran out whilst showering. Everyone to his own. ..

+1 hobbyist here so good on the OP for coming up with this.

I must admit that I came up with a far simpler solution. I drilled holes every couple of inches up the side of my water carrier and I can see at a glance how much water I have. It's amazing how quickly I run out though. ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lot's of positive comments which is great! :)

We really need a distributer to buy a load. Post & packing in the UK is punitive :( We'll continue the free P&P until the end of June & review it then.

Get one now while you can!

I'll blow my own trumpet here; I was at a music festival at the weekend (Bearded Theory) in my van.   The water point was a long walk. I'd taken 8L of drinking water and I was alone, so I figured that I could easily last 3 nights on a single Aquaroll if I 'managed' the water.

I could tell accurately how much water I had with Aquatest :)

Unclerichy - you only need to drill one hole. Somewhere near the bottom. If the water squirts a long way you're full. If it trickles, you're empty 😀

• Haha 2

Or better still, build three separate compartments into your aquaroll with a small drain hole in each, then fill each with clear, dyed blue and dyed red water - when you come out of the showing looking like Donald Trump, you know you're nearing the end of your supply. ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Aquatest has been brilliant when diagnosing a faulty non return valve. .. I could mark EXACTLY where the water was in the Aquaroll and then I could see that it was going back in from the boiler! Very handy.  

There is, of course, a more mechanical method of checking water levels, but it does require a little plumbing.

Drill 2 holes in the side of the tank, one above the other, one very low, one very high.

Connect a clear tube between them, suitably sealed of course into the tank.

As the level changes, so does the level in the clear tube, just like the old steam trains used to have.

The picture shows the principle, but it doesn't need to be as complicated, the valves aren't needed, and use plastic tube, not glass.

Of course, it will cost you more than the guage mentioned above, but doesn't need a battery.

image.png.e286538cc76fc850dd2eeb5c0ebdacf2.png

Edited by daveat92

9 hours ago, Fiona and Trevor said:

The Aquatest has been brilliant when diagnosing a faulty non return valve. .. I could mark EXACTLY where the water was in the Aquaroll and then I could see that it was going back in from the boiler! Very handy.  

Sterilising and descaling often clears the algae and limescale buildup that can cause the failure of the non-return valve, or a better way is to fit a whale non-return valve into the pick up pipe that goes into the aquaroll.

On 13/06/2018 at 11:11, Fiona and Trevor said:

That's great! :) I don't think we would claim 'EXACTLY' but it's remarkably accurate :)

Did I mention that it works on the toilet cassette too?

Ian

On 02/05/2018 at 16:37, Myiot said:

Hi all,

It's great to hear some positive thoughts. At £2. 99 it IS a steal! Postage & packing is the real killer 😕

P&P will be added soon. ..

We are keen to get these out and about, and hopefully get some feedback. So far, everyone seems to use them on wine bottles & beer glasses!!! 🙂

We don't want to know which bottles work & which don't! 😀 We've done it too! 😛

We're considering building Aqualert 'in-house' as the commercial arrangements we've been offered would double the price. ..

@MVJ - it's probably not something you should build yourself.   I'm not doubting your skills but the code is proprietary and we went through a lot of prototypes to get it right 😕

Your code may be proprietary but anybody is perfectly free to build such a device and code it themselves. No doubt there will be open source code available for such a project.   MVJ, I would say, was suggesting that he would be happy to purchase one of your devices in kit form to assemble himself rather than steal your code.  

As for the £2. 99 device. .. if I have to go to the aquaroll with it to check the level, I may as well go to the aquaroll without it to check the level.  It strikes me as a fairly pointless device.

The Aqualert wireless alert is probably where your time and effort should go.

Edited by happynomad

Worth a punt. .. I'll have a go for £2. 99!

Interested in aqualert as and when it's available. ..

happynomad says  "As for the £2. 99 device. .. if I have to go to the aquaroll with it to check the level, I may as well go to the aquaroll without it to check the level.  It strikes me as a fairly pointless device."

Yes, that's what I used to do, but having to either peer down inside a dark barrel and guess how far the water is down, or try to pick the whole thing up, and guess its weight versus a full or empty tank, is not as convenient, or accurate, as holding this gadget next to the outside of the tank.

I used it "in anger" a week ago, it worked, saved me unnecessary trips to the tap, and I was pleased with the gadget. I have paid more than £2. 99 for a pot of tea before now.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Edited by daveat92
  • Like 2

Hi All,

It's great to have positive feedback! :)

We're not making any money on Aqualert because of the free postage. We have about 30 remaning in stock. When these are gone we'll be adding p&p (£1. 50)

We also have a new product designed for the luxurious folk who like a VIP pitch ;)

I'll post this on the relevant section.

Ian