There must be a special place reserved in hell

I have just removed the spare wheel (AlKo chassis) with the intention of putting it in the front locker.

Easy to say . . not so to do.

I am glad I wasn't doing it because of a nearside (UK) puncture, especially one when travelling in the continent. Only took about an hour, and then I couldn't get the the rails to slide back, so I have taken the carrier off.

Whoever designed (?) it certainly didn't stack up any Brownie points.

Avondale, and probably other earlier van makers had a beautifully simple system with the carrier in the floor, with access from inside.   OK, so it didn't look too good with a trap-door through the carpet, but nowadays we don't get carpet and it would be covered by the mats they provide for a touch of luxury.   But still caravan manufacturers use the

!"£$%^&*()_+ system that comes with the Chassis . . 

Is there any company who could 'do an Avondale' and put it in the floor?

I suppose the manufacturers would say it would ruin the integrity of the structure . . I would reply 'What integrity? Water leaks, splits in front and rear mouldings, windows which mist up, etc etc etc

I love being away in my caravan . . just hate that I have to have a caravan to do it.

Rant over (For now)

• Like 1

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Mine lives in the car boot for the same reason as Disco Kid when on site under caravan

I found it easier to pull the rails out, remove the spare, change the wheel, but before putting the punctured wheel back in place; just shove the rails in a bit. This helps the push the whole lot back under much more easily.

If pulled out fully, they seem to lock in position.

I did the modification, so R clips on the UK off side, but if going on the continent it can all be changed round, so that  the spare can be removed on the continental "near side". I used 4mm R clips.

Edited by Guest
Addition.
1 hour ago, rushallmanor said:

Bailey Unicorn models have a wind down spare wheel, like that fitted to some cars. I find it works well.

Plus one. A simple system that must weigh kilos less than the Alko contraption.  

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

My spare wheel lives in the gas locker attached to a bracket and stays nice and dry and clean.  When I had a Lunar Delta I removed several kilos of scrap metal accociated with the Alko spare carrier which the dealer had moved and cobbled together because of the back axle movers .  The spare went under one of the beds and also stayed clean and dry.  

John

Our 2012MY Lunar had a spare wheel shaped space in the gas locker, presumably unchanged from the days before the spare was generally hung on the chassis. I remember pondering the difference in noseweight balance that would occur removing the whole contraption from behind the axle to having just the wheel and tyre up front. It must make a dramatic difference.

Of course lots of gas lockers no longer feature spare wheel capability.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Removed my underslung wheel carrier as soon as we got the caravan, it looked as if it would have been a swine to get to in adverse conditions so the spare is placed on the floor in the front seating area which helps get our nose weight about right.

At some other times it travels in the rear of the car.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

My carrier was  removed for maintenance and never went back. The spare wheel lives under the rear bed. The carrier found its way into a skip never to darken my doorstep again. 

• Haha 1

I gave the carrier away on my last van, this caravan came with a place for the spare wheel in the front locker, however as the wheel wont go through the locker door its kept over the axial in the caravan and on site it holds the steps in place :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I didn't want to put the put the spare in the front locker, (nose weight), nor did I want it in the car, (space), and neither did I want it in the van, (no fixed bed, or locker and preferred not to step over it when stopped in transit), so hence the modification, and so far it seems OK, and yes; I know about it pouring down with rain in the middle of the night. :(

HI 

I also removed the alko carrier on my first swift caravan after finding the only way the wheel could be removed was with the use of some very choice words, wheel now travels in boot of car (last thing in) with the jack.

The carrier is used as a frame to grow a honeysuckle up (smells really nice on a summer evening)

kot

pigs

• Haha 1

I have posted before.   A friend and I tried and failed to the spare wheel carrier when we were on a site in France.  A French breakdown man freed it off by belting it with a big hammer. I would hate to try one at the side of the road.

I have only had experience of, and read comments on, the ALKO carrier . .

what is the BPW one like?

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

We have the ALKO chassis and the new spare wheel carrier is a doddle to remove.   Old style ALKO chassis spare wheel carrier was a nightmare and even a caravan mechanic took nearly half and hour to remvoe it when we had a flat tyre.   Can any one with a 2018 caravan confirm that ALKO have changed the spare wheel carrier?

Previous caravans had the under-slung spare wheel carrier, each year when checking the spare I used to remove the carrier, clean the tubes with thinners then apply fresh grease.   Even then it wasn't the easiest thing to use and I always wondered how easy it would be to use at the side of the road, in the rain, after a puncture!  Our current caravan has it mounted under the bed.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

1 hour ago, Disco Kid said:

I have only had experience of, and read comments on, the ALKO carrier . .

what is the BPW one like?

Same as ALKO!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I think I must have a newer version on our 2017 Compass.  It's a sort of flimsy wire frame that's only just sufficient to hold the weight of the wheel.  One end stays attached to the offside chassis rail whilst the other drops down to the ground after releasing a pin.  It's not great, it's rusty already and the pin sticks, however, it does seem to allow access to the wheel in under a minute (so long as you are lying on the floor beneath the caravan!), and that seems to be a great improvement judging by all the comments above.

18 hours ago, rushallmanor said:

Bailey Unicorn models have a wind down spare wheel, like that fitted to some cars. I find it works well.

as do Bailey Pegasus IV models

Landrover Freelander 2 towing a Bailey Pegasus IV verona

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

The carrier on the BPW chassis is totally different to the ALKO carrier.

But the beggar squeaks. ..I have put foam across the bottom and bungees around the 'milk crate' frame to try and stop it. BUT it is somewhat easier to get access,well for those slim enough (I am not) to get under in the first place. My call is Mayday Mayday!

geoff 

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We had a puncture in our previous caravan, a 2013 Bailey. The spare slid out of the carriage okay, with very little effort. The spare was a steel wheel and slightly different in width, with the result that the punctured alloy wheel would not fit in the carriage. We had to sling it in the caravan.

Our present 'van, a 2016 Lunar has the same Alko carrier. We leave for an extended stay in Brittany in a few weeks. The spare will travel in the car boot as I don't fancy trying to extract it on the side with the traffic.