Jump to content
richard morrice

Dreadful customer service from Coachman Caravans

Recommended Posts

I wasn't happy with the way my Peugeot dealer had fobbed me off so I contacted Peugeot customer service and within 15 mins I had a call from the manager at the dealership asking me to bring car in to be sorted out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thebriars said:

 

When I had trouble with my Vauxhall Vectra and the dealer, I eventually wrote to the MD of Vauxhall, and within three weeks I had a call from the dealer offering me a new car FOC.  

I think the key here is eventually, this would suggest you had exhausted other avenues so had no option but to seek help from the manufacturer. Great result from a proactive MD, unfortunately there are some caravan manufacturers MDs that are not so proactive and obviously believe that their product will sell being ignorant or not sadly.

Kev 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of a few people with Coachman caravans, two of them bought from a dealer who wasn't very helpful and they asked Coachman if they could offer any advice on how to resolve it, I'm not going into details and names but Coachman were extremely helpful in both cases.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found Coachman customer care utterly awful, I reported the washroom basin in my Vision 380/2 breaking up and was simply accused of using domestic cleaning products, now I have to think about replacing the whole washroom unit with something completely different.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Paul Marwood said:

I have found Coachman customer care utterly awful, I reported the washroom basin in my Vision 380/2 breaking up and was simply accused of using domestic cleaning products, now I have to think about replacing the whole washroom unit with something completely different.  

How long have you had your caravan ? Did you buy it new or second-hand and if so was it from a dealer ?

The reason I ask is that it is well known that you must clean the plastics in toilet areas of the caravan with care and not to use chemical cleaners, etc. Even toothpaste can eventually break down the plastic if not cleaned from the hand-basins properly.

If you bought it second-hand then you should speak to the dealer that you purchased it from rather than berate the manufacturer on the forum, after all they do not know how the caravan has been cared for since 2014 when it was first  made. If you read the handbook it clearly states the cleaning process of the plastic sanitary ware.

We have a 2018 Coachman that has had a few warranty issues most of which have been the equipment rather than the actual caravan but our dealer dealt with the problems immediately and Coachman approved the replacement / work straight away so I have found them to be very good and this is not our first Coachman.

Alan 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the very few occasions when I've needed help with our Coachman from Wandahome Knottingley they have been very good.  I wouldn't go to Coachman, I would always go to Wandahome if I needed assistance.

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2018 at 09:16, craigy85 said:

Having just purchased a new Coachman from Spinney (North Staffs) I have to say their customer service, so far, has been superb! After a horrendous experience last year with a much larger Lunar Dealership in the North West, it really does make the world of difference.  

 

Yes, it would have been nice of Coachman / Mr Hibbs to respond and apologise to the OP but, as others have said, it's your dealer's responsibility to resolve any issues with the product you've bought. I'd be looking for a better dealer next time. ..

I bought my very first caravan a VIP 575/4, from Spinney (North Staffs). It took months to decide where to buy from after some ingredibly poor treatment at other places. I can't fault the sales team at Spinney or the reliability and quality of the caravan. A chipped sink was quickly replaced under waranty too.   However, I do wish I'd been made aware of certain options such as the weight plate upgrade at the time of purchase which, as a caravanning newbie, I didn't know about. Apparently I can't have one now as the caravan is over 12 months old, despite it not mysteriously changing since coming out of the factory. Personally, when I've had to contact Coachman for advice I found Matthew Yates very helpful indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience Coachman can’t be faulted for customer service and if you approach them politely rather than in a fit of temper they will go out of their way to help.  Is Trevor still there, does anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2018 at 21:34, thebriars said:

 

When I had trouble with my Vauxhall Vectra and the dealer, I eventually wrote to the MD of Vauxhall, and within three weeks I had a call from the dealer offering me a new car FOC.  

 

BUT

There are hundreds of thousands of mystified demented owners of expensive new vehicles who get NIL help from Ford BMW Mercedes Audi-in fact every major motor manufacturer has had design/manufacturing/management issues that led to 10 of thousands-and in Mercedes case-whole Model ranges-being unfit for purpose!

Just choosing three I have personal experience of

Volvo throttle body fault leading to engine losing power-at any time!!!

This fault was across many models.

BMWs Nicasil porosity problems-this led to valuable cars requiring Very Expensive engine replacements.

Mercedes insane management decision to put Mercedes badges on sheds!

Mercedes are no longer “the best” they are now just one of a range of well made vehicles-they will never recover their edge over the others-in my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My new Mercedes Glc needed a new differential, first major fault in 6 previous c class Estates so I was not to upset. One of the problems was 3 trips to the dealer to diagnose the problem a 30 mile round trip every time. The reason I mention this is its the same inconvenience for caravaners who frequently buy from dealers at shows and many miles from where they live.

Its just not practical to return the van when something simple goes wrong that's why owners go direct to the manufacturer.

Having done this many times the advice I would give anyone contacting the dealer or manufacturer is to take the emotion out of the letter or conversation. Just be brief and specific no moans (although you may well be justified) get the names of the people you deal with, use them when talking and writing to them. You will find that you may get better service.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, brilock1 said:

My new Mercedes Glc needed a new differential, first major fault in 6 previous c class Estates so I was not to upset. One of the problems was 3 trips to the dealer to diagnose the problem a 30 mile round trip every time. The reason I mention this is its the same inconvenience for caravaners who frequently buy from dealers at shows and many miles from where they live.

Its just not practical to return the van when something simple goes wrong that's why owners go direct to the manufacturer.

Having done this many times the advice I would give anyone contacting the dealer or manufacturer is to take the emotion out of the letter or conversation. Just be brief and specific no moans (although you may well be justified) get the names of the people you deal with, use them when talking and writing to them. You will find that you may get better service.

 

Exactly.

Our new 2017 Swift Conqueror 540 had only one obvious minor fault the front grab rail finish covers were blemished.

When the dealer told me they were contacting Swift to put it right I just kept quiet.

The covers were replaced at our convenience.

Similarly 2 years on an irritating fault has finally been identified the front bed pull out slats jam because the housing needs a modified component.

Its taken two seasons because we only use the front bed once per annum.

Again getting put right at our convenience end of the month.

Like yourself it’s a 30 mile round trip-fortunately right next door is a Scottish Jewel The Lanark Valley beautifull 52 weeks in the year so we enjoy dropping off and picking up.

Great to see all the new greenhouses as we are now willing to pay premium prices for Scottish tomatoes and soft fruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have nothing but praise for Coachman after sales service and I have dealt with them for over 25 years, maybe you have to wait a day or so if you leave a message but they will always return your call

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too Les Medes, and yes, Trevor is still there, no doubt he'll be at the N. E. C. in a couple of weeks, I spoke to him at last October's N. E. C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, toby6033 said:

Me too Les Medes, and yes, Trevor is still there, no doubt he'll be at the N. E. C. in a couple of weeks, I spoke to him at last October's N. E. C.

Trevor will not be at the NEC shows anymore, but he is still employed by Coachman. I have found Matthew Yates to be extremely helpful.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a shame, I rather liked Trevor. Easy to Talk to and very popular at the shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, toby6033 said:

That's a shame, I rather liked Trevor. Easy to Talk to and very popular at the shows.

I agree having had dealings with him over the many years of owning Coachman Caravans.

 

Trevor has a vast amount of knowledge and honesty, just hope he passes that onto the younger people in the business that are taking over some of the reins.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, toby6033 said:

Me too Les Medes, and yes, Trevor is still there, no doubt he'll be at the N. E. C. in a couple of weeks, I spoke to him at last October's N. E. C.

I shall look forward to seeing Trev again at the NEC, I know the last time I spoke to him he was considering retiring, but that was 18 months ago, again at the NEC

Edited by Les Medes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Les Medes said:

I shall look forward to seeing Trev again at the NEC, I know the last time I spoke to him he was considering retiring, but that was 18 months ago, again at the NEC

He's been retiring since 2010, so he told me :D You will more than likely see Matthew instead of Trevor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×