Sign in to follow this  

Hi Folks,

Currently in Spain and just booked ferry back to UK for 8/7. Having travelled through France on our way South we have decided to take the long crossing back to the UK. Our plan was to take 2 weeks to travel through France as we limit distance to a max of 250 mls per day. Change of plan and we will now take 10 days to head to Santander. Shorter journey and not too bothered by the additional cost which we don't think is huge.

Only problem is that the ferry arrives 20. 45 and we are not sure if there is anywhere we can put our head down on our way to Scotland. In the past we have stopped for a few days at Kingsbury Park near Birmingham. We will probably stop there again but unsure where we can stop on our way North from Portsmouth.  Other people must have had a similar problem.

Any suggestions?

And it's raining quite heavy here in Bolneuvo. Rain forecast for two days before returning to 27.

Many Thanks in anticipation to any suggestions

Regards Jim

39 minutes ago, JimmyT said:

Hi Folks,

Currently in Spain and just booked ferry back to UK for 8/7. Having travelled through France on our way South we have decided to take the long crossing back to the UK. Our plan was to take 2 weeks to travel through France as we limit distance to a max of 250 mls per day. Change of plan and we will now take 10 days to head to Santander. Shorter journey and not too bothered by the additional cost which we don't think is huge.

Only problem is that the ferry arrives 20. 45 and we are not sure if there is anywhere we can put our head down on our way to Scotland. In the past we have stopped for a few days at Kingsbury Park near Birmingham. We will probably stop there again but unsure where we can stop on our way North from Portsmouth.  Other people must have had a similar problem.

Any suggestions?

And it's raining quite heavy here in Bolneuvo. Rain forecast for two days before returning to 27.

Many Thanks in anticipation to any suggestions

Regards Jim

When Jim, forum member Wigandiver arrived in Portsmouth at a similar time, I suggested that he pulled into the Tesco carpark which is just off the junction 9 at the start of the A34 from the M3.   As far as I remember he said that they spent a quiet night there.   The Tesco is a 24 hour opening but being Sunday night it was closed till 6am Monday.    It's 30 miles from the dockside.

When I enquired on another forum I was told that at that time in an evening I could pull into Port  Solent car park area behind  the David Lloyd gym - but because of changed plans I never tried it out .

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

When Jim, forum member Wigandiver arrived in Portsmouth at a similar time, I suggested that he pulled into the Tesco carpark which is just off the junction 9 at the start of the A34 from the M3.   As far as I remember he said that they spent a quiet night there.   The Tesco is a 24 hour opening but being Sunday night it was closed till 6am Monday.    It's 30 miles from the dockside.

Very good suggestion from Jaydug, which we followed. There was plenty of room to get tucked out of the way.

There are two fuel stations there, and unless you arrive on Sunday after 4pm, the store will be open.

We used our gas for a brew, (still have a whistling kettle), and to have the heating on low.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Just corect to your tipo me thinks it's only three miles away ?

Just now, trusky said:

Not the one Jaydug is talking about.

"Tesco car park which is just off the junction 9 at the start of the A34 from the M3".

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@51. 0693282,-1. 2925941,17. 17z

6 minutes ago, trusky said:

No 30 miles is correct from Portsmouth to start of A34. ..

41 minutes ago, Stevechillyb said:

No 30 miles is correct from Portsmouth to start of A34. ..

You certainly are I should learn to read the full post  I was thinking of tesco at Cosham of the A27

Thanks Tesco car park it will be. As we arrive on Sunday (I think) expect a quiet and peaceful night.

What time she we aim to head off ?

As usual good info from this forum. Another thing now off my list.

Cheers

Jim

Quick check sail 17. 15 Sunday 8/7 arriving 20. 45 on the evening of the 9th. Will expect car park to be busier but will probably arrive after 10. 00 so will hope there will be space. Cheers