Sign in to follow this  
cher129

To Grease TowBall or Not

just read on another forum a newbie asking about what grease to use on his towbal, i though you should never ever grease the ball, just a light sanding and inside on the friction pads (winterhoff) So. ..grease or not Thanks

7 minutes ago, cher129 said:

just read on another forum a newbie asking about what grease to use on his towbal, i though you should never ever grease the ball, just a light sanding and inside on the friction pads (winterhoff) So. ..grease or not Thanks

I always grease my towball because I do not have a stabiliser hitch.

You must not grease a towball when the caravan has a stabiliser hitch.

9 minutes ago, cher129 said:

not

Just now, John_b_45 said:

not

Please see above. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Any form of current stabiliser requires a friction coupling between ball and hitch. Grease was for early lift on blade type stabilisers - not many around now.

Edited by yorkyguy

Yes - if towball does not have stabilisers connecting to it

No - if towball does have stabilisers connecting to it

Easy

• Like 1

Not

Not only not but you should give it a wipe with brake cleaner before you use it to remove traffic film, diesel contaminates etc

I also have the Winterhoff

Not not not if it's a friction pad coupling.   The pads have to grip the towball, impossible if its slathered with grease oil or whatever.

I always grease it after use as it stops it going rusty,so long as it is scrupulously cleaned off before use can't see a problem.

Ian

29 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

Please see above. :rolleyes:

Oh Golly Gosh

Better stop anyone else beyond the other 4 below contributing!  

But you  might care to check the times of our posts?  Notice anything?

I have run 3 various pickups into the ground and am on my forth, ALL have been works tow vehicles and NEVER have I greased a towball, none have ever had a cover either as all are used several times a week for towing duties.

The trailers we tow (all 3. 5T plant trailers) have regularly had to have the hitches changed as they wear, not so the tow balls.

None of them have had the painted type (swan necks) as they have all been bolt on types with 3. 5T pin ball hitches.

I thought so, so NO grease . ..wire brush on mine and a good wipe down. Thanks all for confirming what id thought for years.

It’s useful information th

13 hours ago, DeeTee said:

I always grease my towball because I do not have a stabiliser hitch.

You must not grease a towball when the caravan has a stabiliser hitch.

This, for what it’s worth I wonder how many aren’t aware - when I went to collect my van I’d been dispatched from work by a colleague who towed years ago with a tub of grease to lubricate the ball - the hand over guy checked my tow ball (still painted) and explained how the stabiliser pads worked, asked me to remove it so that one of the technicians could take the paint off and also told me to chuck the grease!

If I wasn’t buying from an excellent dealership (White Arches) I might have come a cropper!

When I bought the Passat I just took the paint off with a fine sandpaper - it does show a little rust when left for a while but a very quick once over and it’s gone

Edited by FrankBullet

In addition to my caravan I have a small trailer without a hitch stabiliser. As I use the trailer only for relatively short journeys I don't even bother to grease the towball when towing that. Saves having to clean it afterwards before hitching the caravan.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

13 minutes ago, Lutz said:

In addition to my caravan I have a small trailer without a hitch stabiliser. As I use the trailer only for relatively short journeys I don't even bother to grease the towball when towing that. Saves having to clean it afterwards before hitching the caravan.

+1

Anyone know the life expectancy of friction pads, were lucky these days to get away twice a year, so id say no more than 600 mile per year since 2003 ?

1 hour ago, cher129 said:

Anyone know the life expectancy of friction pads, were lucky these days to get away twice a year, so id say no more than 600 mile per year since 2003 ?

How long is a piece of string? Pad life will vary enormously according to the type of driving you do, motorways will cause very little pad wear, but the same cannot be said for twisty rural roads! Normally pads get replaced because of contamination not wear.

If anyone is concerned with their tow-ball going rusty if it's not greased, buy some rust-inhibiting paper (dirt cheap !) and put a piece inside your tow-ball cover (you do use one of course !)

I do this even though I have a removable tow-ball stored in my garage. .

My tow ball  needs greasing for my trailer then cleaning for the caravan :)

For cleaning I use methylated spirit.

macafee2

14 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

My tow ball  needs greasing for my trailer then cleaning for the caravan :)

For cleaning I use methylated spirit.

macafee2

Unless your trailer covers high mileage, running it with a clean towball will cause no harm.

Just got a new van (Xplore 422 with AKS hitch). Never had a stabiliser before so never needed an unpainted towball  before so a quick visit to a local lawnmower repair shop and a fivers worth  on their wire brush wheel and I have a bright shiny ball on top of my removeable bracket - saved a lot of boring rubbing.

no one has asked about the paint on a tow ball recently, so to add my twopennyworth, clean all paint off the tow ball ;)

On 07/05/2018 at 21:41, Stevan said:

Unless your trailer covers high mileage, running it with a clean towball will cause no harm.

Can you be sure that the trailer hitch is completely free of grease?  I grease  the ball when towing my trailer and clean it when towing the caravan, using brake cleaner and paper towels.

Seeing this thread made me smile as I remembered what my Dutch friend said to me one day.

He was over here for a holiday and we were staying together on a site in Cornwall.

we were talking about our new van, which had a stabiliser hitch, and he said "now you must keep your knob clean"!

When my laughing fit had subsided I explained how this word could be used to describe a part of the male anatomy.

On the same theme he was explaining one day how his brother in law had "very small tackle",  which is apparently a Dutch description for a small dog, again with unintended humorous consequences.

1 hour ago, DACS said:

Can you be sure that the trailer hitch is completely free of grease?  I grease  the ball when towing my trailer and clean it when towing the caravan, using brake cleaner and paper towels.

I bought my trailer new so I know that it must be free of grease. I've used it like that for 10 years now without any noticeable wear and tear due to running dry.