Unicorns everywhere!

John W

Stopping on a CL in the Yorkshire Moors this week. On our own then another three vans turn up. Two U3 Valencia’s and a U4 Vigo. That makes all 4 vans Bailey and 3 of them the same model.  

I know they get some bad press but they must be doing something right.  

We stayed on a CAMC site last week, where there was approx 50 vans on site and much to my surprise, not one Bailey van. The vast majority were Swift, followed by quite a large number of Elddis and a few Coachman and Lunars.   Must admit it's the first time I've ever noticed this, there is usually a fair number of Bailey vans on most sites but not this time.

1 hour ago, Llew said:

We stayed on a CAMC site last week, where there was approx 50 vans on site and much to my surprise, not one Bailey van. The vast majority were Swift, followed by quite a large number of Elddis and a few Coachman and Lunars.   Must admit it's the first time I've ever noticed this, there is usually a fair number of Bailey vans on most sites but not this time.

In the Cotswolds there were loads of Unicorns of varing ages including Pegasus's

Edited by Silverback

On our way back from last weekends trip away i saw 2 U4’s coming towards me heading into Cornwall . I was a little surprised its only a hours  drive back home .  

But the biggest surprise was a Bentley Bentayga towing a twin axle Elddis ?

Edited by cb300
  • Like 1

Now that’s a hell of a tow car.  Last week at Chertsey site we had 5 unicorns.  More than any other make/model.  Don’t mean much, when we were there 2 months ago there was one. Ours.  

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

We stayed on a small North York Moors site over Easter too and we counted a least 11 Unicorns  during the week! Mainly Unicorn 3's.

On 13/04/2018 at 00:52, Silverback said:

In the Cotswolds there were loads of Unicorns of varing ages including Pegasus's

I noticed that too, maybe because Bailey are from Bristol. Definitely more Baileys in the South West.

Stopped at Durham CMC site a couple of weeks ago and there were eleven Unicorns,including ours,on site.

Mostly U3's,a couple of U2's and one U4.

Ian

2 hours ago, Kathy657 said:

I noticed that too, maybe because Bailey are from Bristol. Definitely more Baileys in the South West.

Could be, though Easter tends to be short distance trips, then come the summer they spread out, like you say we see loads down the South West and ours will add to the count ;)

Apparently, the collective noun for Unicorns is a blessing of unicorns.   Presumably if there are several versions on site. This becomes a mixed blessing of Unicorns.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fred said:

Apparently, the collective noun for Unicorns is a blessing of unicorns.   Presumably if there are several versions on site. This becomes a mixed blessing of Unicorns.  

I think that depends on whether there is someone shuffling around the site needlessly worrying them of their weight plates, becuase there's always one :D

Edited by Silverback
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Silverback said:

there's always one :D

Actually,  I think you will find, there is one  born every minute.  Fortunately they are easy to identify, they are the ones that have forked out £60 for a meaningless sticker ;)

6 hours ago, fred said:

Actually,  I think you will find, there is one  born every minute.  Fortunately they are easy to identify, they are the ones that have forked out £60 for a meaningless sticker ;)

Like I said there's always one :blink: 

3 hours ago, Silverback said:

Like I said there's always one :blink: 

What took you so long :D

Anyway I am bored with weights.

Your task SB should you choose to accept it is this.   Please justify the drop leaf fbst,  found in the U4 Vigo and a couple of other models.   

fbst = fixed bed shaped thing.   It can’t be a real fixed bed because you have to remake it each time btw.  @

1 hour ago, fred said:

What took you so long :D

Anyway I am bored with weights.

Your task SB should you choose to accept it is this.   Please justify the drop leaf fbst,  found in the U4 Vigo and a couple of other models.   

fbst = fixed bed shaped thing.   It can’t be a real fixed bed because you have to remake it each time btw.  @

Haven't got a clue what your on about . .. though isn't  the Vigo a fixed if you wish or a drop down if you prefer, seems the best of both worlds, though I can't "task" this childish post being the owner of a Valencia.   :D

I gather you don't like Bailey caravans or the Unicorn model  ;)

Found this review of a Vigo for you to enjoy B)

Edited by Silverback

FWIW, we love our U3 Vigo but really pleased we bought it last year as the U4 has several things we think are backward steps over the U3. .. in particular the double FBST (!), which stays made up in the U3 and looks a real pain in the U4 with its separate mattress end and hinged shelf-thing. ....Our FBST works very well for us and as a couple we find it almost perfect.

Don’t like all the black handles and trim outside on the U4, the dark wood and worktops inside or the adoption of the Swift-esque graphics on windows and splashbacks. ..it’s all a bit bling for our taste.

Looks like we’re all lumbered with the silly Camel showerhead - a gimmicky con if ever there was one, but I object to laying out yet more money to replace it with a conventional head which works better (imho).

Regret the combination of a submersible pump with a pressurised water system. ...they had it perfect with the inboard tank and pump on the Senator California. ...even if the Aquaroll ran out mid-shower I could change over from inside without a naked dash ??

May also be worth noting that our present and past Baileys (5 different models) have all towed like they were on rails. .. an Abbey Vogue a close second and a Sprite Musketeer and 2 Swifts close behind, while the single Coachman Pastiche always felt somewhat restless. ... nothing I could pinpoint, just not as obedient and calm.

Each to their own and we should all speak as we find but we’re very happy for now. ...your views may vary and that’s fine too ?

I must disagree with you Coriolis.  I don’t think that the Vigo 3, was fitted with a FBST, looks like a usable transverse fixed bed to me.  In my opinion a transverse fixed bed is squeezing a quart into a pint pot it really needs to have a usable day and night mode ( If you think I am anti transverse fixed beds, think again it’s exactly the layout we have btw).   The problem with the Vigo 4 is in my mind 2 fold.  Firstly I can’t see how you avoid making the bed up each night because of the cut out.  Secondly in the day mode although you have space to get to the washroom.   With the cut out at the head of. The bed.  The whole set up means it’s to short for an adult ie me, all 5’6” of me to have, a crafty afternoon kip.   This drop leaf arrangement  can only be a cost saving measure.  

Contrary to what Silverback assumes, I don’t think the Baileys are a bad van.   Actually I prefer Bailey to Swift, due to styling of swift’s .   I wouldn’t have an Elddis because I don’t think that they are well built.   Which basically leaves Bailey or Coachman.   If I was to consider a British caravan   The weight sticker I believe is a rip off .   Others may disagree with any or all of my comments as is their.   Whatever van you have I hope you are happy with it, just hope  it stops raining.  

PS There have been a number of posts on here criticising the ehu point.  It is identical to the one Hymer fit and never even thought about it being an issue as I have never had a problem with it.  

PPS. Thanks for the “review” I watched it a few months ago.   It is toe curlingly bad.   Anyone is free to disagree with me, but you have been warned:(

PPS I did learn something new about the Vigo from the review.  It’s a 6 berth, I always thought it was 4. (Check out the caption after arround 36 seconds)

Edited by fred

Fred, looks like we agree. .. if I made it unclear I’m sorry ?

The U3 FB works very well for us, but I don’t like the U4’s separate bit of mattress or the fold-down shelf which is suposed to support it.  I admit our U3 bed is a little tight to sidle past when it’s in sleep mode, but at least gives me an excuse to roll slowly over Mrs C if I need the loo. ... we’re not yet so old that the fun’s gone out of that manouevre ???

I agree with all your observations on the U4 bed. ...a real backward step by Bailey, imho

To begin with I didn’t like the small EHU socket. .. the old way with the socket

/plug locked inside the battery box was better for security, but now the small socket is on the nearside it’s inside the awning so feels less vulnerable to casual theft of the whole cable. ...not that I’ve ever heard of it, so it’s probably just paranoia.

Agree too about the video review. .. I’d be embarrassed to be associated with it. ...even the text labels have errors (6 berth Vigo? Really?)

Won’t ever have another Coachman after the first (and last).... much bad taste in the mouth after 15 months hassle between the dealer and factory.  Understand others have better experiences with them but they had many chances to retrieve a bad situation and threw them all away.  A great shame given how long I’d aspired to have one, and now I have enough disposable to buy new their (in)actions have turned away this potential customer for good.

Dear Mr Bailey, please don’t let me down after all the nice things I’ve said about you ?.... time will tell. ..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coriolis said:

we’re not yet so old that the fun’s gone out of that manouevre ???

Got to ask, is it fun for Mrs C?

Actually friends of ours changed their Coachman for a U3 because of problems and they are happy with the Unicorn.  I bet other people swapped in the other direction.  I posted about the plug because I never have had a problem with it.   Not had a battery box either.  

1 hour ago, Coriolis said:

Fred, looks like we agree. .. if I made it unclear I’m sorry ?

The U3 FB works very well for us, but I don’t like the U4’s separate bit of mattress or the fold-down shelf which is suposed to support it.  I admit our U3 bed is a little tight to sidle past when it’s in sleep mode, but at least gives me an excuse to roll slowly over Mrs C if I need the loo. ... we’re not yet so old that the fun’s gone out of that manouevre ???

I agree with all your observations on the U4 bed. ...a real backward step by Bailey, imho

To begin with I didn’t like the small EHU socket. .. the old way with the socket

/plug locked inside the battery box was better for security, but now the small socket is on the nearside it’s inside the awning so feels less vulnerable to casual theft of the whole cable. ...not that I’ve ever heard of it, so it’s probably just paranoia.

Agree too about the video review. .. I’d be embarrassed to be associated with it. ...even the text labels have errors (6 berth Vigo? Really?)

Won’t ever have another Coachman after the first (and last).... much bad taste in the mouth after 15 months hassle between the dealer and factory.  Understand others have better experiences with them but they had many chances to retrieve a bad situation and threw them all away.  A great shame given how long I’d aspired to have one, and now I have enough disposable to buy new their (in)actions have turned away this potential customer for good.

Dear Mr Bailey, please don’t let me down after all the nice things I’ve said about you ?.... time will tell. ..

I have been informed that the fold up bed extension has been binned and they are reverting to the old (much better) pull out bed.  Worth checking if you have one in mind.  

• Like 2

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

28 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

I have been informed that the fold up bed extension has been binned and they are reverting to the old (much better) pull out bed.  Worth checking if you have one in mind.  

The pull out mechanical bed frames were displayed on the NEC show caravans, but to be honest it's better to let some folks believe what they want to ;)

Edited by Silverback

6 hours ago, Silverback said:

The pull out mechanical bed frames were displayed on the NEC show caravans, but to be honest it's better to let some folks believe what they want to ;)

Was the one at the NEC also a 6 Berth?   The one at the dealers I saw at the weekend, was definitely drop leaf.  Perhaps Bailey have had an outbreak of common sense.   Just like when they have decided to put the nose weight at 100kg like everyone else rather than a random number.   It’s good that it’s been revised but amazing that not a single err “review” mentioned it.  

Dealers usually keep the same display models for months. Selling off the back of them.  Which is why you always need to nail down exactly what you are going to get. It is not within Baileys control to order them to display only models of the latest spec.  

1 hour ago, fred said:

Was the one at the NEC also a 6 Berth?   The one at the dealers I saw at the weekend, was definitely drop leaf.  Perhaps Bailey have had an outbreak of common sense.   Just like when they have decided to put the nose weight at 100kg like everyone else rather than a random number.   It’s good that it’s been revised but amazing that not a single err “review” mentioned it.  

You do have some issues with Bailey  and I thought you were bored with Bailey weight.   Your 100kg nose weight issue was explained excellently by Towtug's.   The drop leaf bed frame will suit many  but as in any brochures there's always not on "specification may differ" 

The protruding  socket isn't a issue with me now that I've purchased a Cat Tank right angled socket and the repositioning of the mover switch now illegal iliminates the need for a battery box. TV bracket is no problem at all and we now prefer it to it sitting on a shelf.   Weights and their restrictions are no issue to us. Valencia layout is fantastic as with its interior design. Exterior has clean lines and tows like a dream, so all in all Happy Days.

Thinking of buying one . .. ?

Edited by Silverback