noise from neighbours

macafee2

18 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I reckon there's a whole sub-culture of caravanners who don't visit forums, create noise on site without thinking, allow kids and dogs to run riot, overload their vans and have infra red heaters in their awnings. They're the ones you pray not to pitch next to.

They are indeed!

Would it be fun for everyone to make a list of forum members they would be happy to pitch next to?  :ph34r: And, those they would not? :ph34r:  Perhaps all those listed could provide their itinerary for this year so that others can avoid them or seek them out!

Let's be honest - there will always be some who annoy you and, dare I say it, you annoy.   Pets and children figure high in some people's aversion but not so for others.  

In many years I've only been seriously upset a couple of times, once in France with youths fighting over a girl and one in the UK with people playing cards and drinking with music.  

We are a "mixed ability" group of people, coming from a whole spectrum of backgrounds.     Camp sites are not 5* hotels.  

For the most part, it seems to me, caravanning is still civilised and a pleasure.   

Positive outlook please! ;)

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

I'd happily pitch next to most people on this Forum, they obviously are are decent, well informed folk, I might get a few good tips. Weather or not most would want to pitch next to a baseball bat wielding nutjob like me though is another question :rolleyes::)

Edited by Borussia 1900

There is a difference sometimes between perceived noise & actual annoyance, I was on a site at Keswick when a near neighbour asked me if I had a TV signal, he couldn’t get one, I explained about polarity & moved his aerial through 90 deg to enable him to tune in & all was well, an hour or so later I was outside & he asked me to accompany him to complain to the guy immediately behind me about his radio. I could only just hear it above the noise from his van, his wife was watching a popular soap, the guy next to me was listening to Paul Jones on radio2 playing the blues & as I love the blues I declined thanking him for letting me know it was on  . I went to my van & tuned in myself, the TV guy didn’t complain & when I spoke to my ‘bluesy ‘ neighbour the next day it turned out we’d both done the same job at BT & were roughly the same age, we had quite a good reminisce, all thanks to mr noise abatement.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I'd happily pitch next to most people on this Forum, they obviously are are decent, well informed folk, I might get a few good tips. Weather or not most would want to pitch next to a baseball bat wielding nutjob like me though is another question :rolleyes::)

I didn't like to say that anyone carrying a baseball in their van would be on the avoid list  lol  

I think stevew1 makes a good point about perceived noise.   I know that I tell myself it could be me annoying someone - a group of us having a meal outside for example - and it's live and let live! 

Some people are professional complainers!  I'm sure forum members will know what I mean.   

We had friends round for a meal last summer in France and they were gone at 9. 45pm  Silence was at 10. 00 pm.   Even so a Dutch couple behind us complained to the site owner.     Next morning they stationed themselves outside our van and had a loud conversation.   We were, as it happened, already awake.   

I know the site owners well and asked what had gone on.   Was told they are always complaining and just forget it - we were not even at the "silence" hour!  

And. ..........................!

Another swig of red helps and after that positive thoughts rather than growing anger.   Seems to work for mildly intrusive noise.  

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

16 hours ago, macafee2 said:

11pm is quite late.

if I were doing diy at home, it would not be before 9am or after 9pm if there is noise such as drilling and hammering and if on a party wall of a house would speak to neighbours

You say you are not insensitive but when asked to  make less noise  you  closed the caravan door. That sounds insensitive as you don't say if you made less noise or not.   Why not apologise?

You say some people are just intolerant but why should people inflict their avoidable noise on others ?

Some people intolerant, some dis-courteous and I bet each one thinks the other is wrong :)

macfaee2

‘11pm is the normal ‘ shush ‘ time in France when the site owners come around with finger across lips, Spain is a whole different ball game .

I wasn’t insensitive to the guy, what I said was, sorry mate but it is only 8:45, I’ll close the door we’ll be finished in an hour.

we were with new friends we’d made at Tropicana campsite, they were mid 70’s we were then mid 60’s so not hooligans, we’ll not so much !!!. 

17 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

‘11pm is the normal ‘ shush ‘ time in France when the site owners come around with finger across lips, Spain is a whole different ball game .

I wasn’t insensitive to the guy, what I said was, sorry mate but it is only 8:45, I’ll close the door we’ll be finished in an hour.

we were with new friends we’d made at Tropicana campsite, they were mid 70’s we were then mid 60’s so not hooligans, we’ll not so much !!!. 

you did right to apologise. Sometimes I think the best thing can be to apologise even when you are not wrong.

children playing nicely and making noise (as long as not rude) does not worry me. TV's, radios and  adults chatting does.   Perhaps because I lived next door to noisey neighbours it now grates on me.

I try to make the same noise as I expectt from others, which is only loud enough for me to hear. If they can hear my noise then I am too loud and I hold myself at fault, not them for complaining.

when I come back late I turn headlights off and front fog lights on, this is enough to give me light but I hope not enough to bother others.

Car doors are not slammed, they are firmly pushed shut.

macafee2

when we first started caravanning, folk would sit outside their 'vans chatting to each other, perhaps over a glass of wine. Now, however most people are in their 'vans  once the evening meal is over, TV on and blinds closed. When taking the dogs over to the dog walk in the evening, the sites are usually very quiet, so I can understand if one has the TV or music on loud  it would sound very insensitive .   Our TV is loud inside the 'van but it cannot be heard outside with the doors and windows closed, we just have to be a bit more careful in high summer .  

I would not recommend what I done but was at the end of line, we were on a large site in Blackpool many years ago the van on the pitch at the back of us had music and TV really loud at all hours of the night after 23:00 Afer a few phone calls to security asking they could get the noise turned down which would only last 15 minutes then it would just go back up again. On the second night it all started again but this time I was prepared, I crept through the bushes unplugged there cable and cut the plug off there cable. I don't how I kept my laugh in but it done the trick. We left the site next morning and never returned.  

That is one of the reasons I don't like larger sites with clubs and entertainment on them.

9 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Please enlighten us about the gadget as it would be appreciated in our household.   Thanks.   :D

https://www. actiononhearingloss. org. uk/shop/listening-devices/l440-digital-swing-with-neckloop/

This is what hubby has. He does have the loop system on his hearing aids.

21 hours ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

My husband is quite deaf and has a fantastic gadget that has a receiver he puts round his neck and the other end plugs into the audio output on  the TV. It then transmits into his hearing aids. We found this when I started to worry that the volume he needed to hear could be heard well away from our caravan. It has transformed my life as well as I can now have the TV at a comfortable level for me.

Does it work with ordinary NHS hearing aids?

A couple of stories. .. 

First from the UK where someone decided to have their 40th party in their caravan.   Lots of cars, lots of screaming.   Very anti-social.   Commercial site and security eventually shut them down.

Second was at Le Mans.   During the 24 hour race camp site rules are mostly abandoned, but some British idiots took the biscuit playing rave music until 7AM.   Security were investigating a theft the next morning, and unusually got so many complaints that actually did clamp down on them the next night.   They were not popular. ...

I dont think most people are against anyone having a good time especially when on holiday but there are some who just take it to extremes and get quite put out if anything is said to them.

In the end we've all got to co-exist with each other but it doesn't mean that the rest of us have to put up with the obnoxious few who think it's their right to do whatever they like, wherever they like at whatever time they like without considering the effect it has on others.

One of the reasons me and her indoors like the 5 van sites. You usually have a little more space than the ram em in type of site, the ones where you can shake hands through the window with your neighbour.

Went away last week end with a local club, had a nice day out and came back to find a Motor Home parked about 20 ft away, there were only 6 units on the rally and room for another 50.  He had his heating or a buzzing motor on all night, about to have a word with him next morning but he was up and off crack of dawn after leaving his trade mark knocking, banging and door slamming behind.

3 hours ago, rovinmad said:

Depends how old the hearing aids are. Mine no longer have a hearing loop facility, however I have a wireless system that plugs into the TV and I pick up the sound wirelessly through my hearing aids. Its great because I can still hear anybody talking and the TV itself, the TV system amplifies the high frequencies more so I can hear the speech clearly.  

I should point out that mine are not NHS ones, they would not amplify enough for me.  

3 hours ago, rovinmad said:

His hearing aids are NHS but they do have to have the loop system on them. For those that don't know a lot of public buildings have an inbuilt system called the loop system and it transmits to equiped hearing aids directly. Very good in theatres, churches etc.

19 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

They probably slam their doors 3 or 4 times and whistle enroute to annoy you in retaliation for you annoying them the night before.  

I was on a CL site, 3 vans on there, the other two were partying to well past 2am, the noise level was horrendous. 06:30 the next morning I had the volume turned up high, sub woofer going well. They eventually surfaced with bloodshot eyes and clearly had a bad hangover. I left it a little longer and then turned it down to a reasonable level.

if you annoy me late at night of course I will show you the same level of consideration the next morning (assuming that I won’t be disturbing others of course).

Which part of post card didn't you get? Late is a little arbitrary isn't it ? What is late? My Mum would be in bed by 10pm, but then she would be up at 3am, if she put the radio on at 3 am because she was up, is that too late or too early because it was "Normal" for her.   When in work I have to get up at 7am, so on holiday I like to have a lie in until 9am-ish that's Holiday normal for me, as an adult I don't think 11pm is too late for normal level conversation, normal level tv, or normal level radio or music inside a caravan with its doors and windows shut I work on the principal that if you can hear it outside its too loud, because I'm normal. Doing something just to annoy someone else isn't normal, people see therapists for that sort of thing, or A&E doctors if they're pitched next to Brorussia.

2 hours ago, flashgordon said:

Which part of post card didn't you get? Late is a little arbitrary isn't it ? What is late? My Mum would be in bed by 10pm, but then she would be up at 3am, if she put the radio on at 3 am because she was up, is that too late or too early because it was "Normal" for her.   When in work I have to get up at 7am, so on holiday I like to have a lie in until 9am-ish that's Holiday normal for me, as an adult I don't think 11pm is too late for normal level conversation, normal level tv, or normal level radio or music inside a caravan with its doors and windows shut I work on the principal that if you can hear it outside its too loud, because I'm normal. Doing something just to annoy someone else isn't normal, people see therapists for that sort of thing, or A&E doctors if they're pitched next to Brorussia.

Wow what rattled your cage?

i considered 2am with loads of noise to be unreasonable, frankly I don’t care if you think 2am is a reasonable time, I would wager most people would find it unacceptable.

Normal volume levels of conversation seem to increase as the night goes on and proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. Following their total lack of consideration at their ‘normal’ times and levels I find my consideration for them is just the same as theirs for me the next morning. My normal was adopted but only because there was no one else to disturb.

Whilst there was some satisfaction in disturbing their slumber, I do enjoy my music at perhaps higher volume levels and my caravan does have the system installed to do a really good job when I wish to do so. I also use Bose Bluetooth headsets at night I’d watching TV so I don’t annoy the neighbours (my normal not to annoy)

You reap what you sow

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, thebriars said:

Depends how old the hearing aids are. Mine no longer have a hearing loop facility, however I have a wireless system that plugs into the TV and I pick up the sound wirelessly through my hearing aids. Its great because I can still hear anybody talking and the TV itself, the TV system amplifies the high frequencies more so I can hear the speech clearly.  

I should point out that mine are not NHS ones, they would not amplify enough for me.  

I only got mine this year.   They have three settings but t wasn't meantioned.   I was at village hall concert and heard very well.   I'll have to ask.

14 hours ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

https://www. actiononhearingloss. org. uk/shop/listening-devices/l440-digital-swing-with-neckloop/

This is what hubby has. He does have the loop system on his hearing aids.

Thanks I was hoping it was something where you can use headphones, but the other person can still listen to the TV at normal level.   I have headphones, but cannot use them as OH cannot hear the TV as headphone cuts off the sound.   Maybe a RCA adapter for the headphones?

My TV sender does not cut the TV sound out as it uses a different input. Indeed I hear both, the sound from the TV (and people in the room) and the sound through the sender (usually the higher frequencies). We adjust the TV sound so my wife can hear it clearly, then I adjust the TV sender so that I can hear it well. Works perfectly, and I can move from room to room and still hear it if needed.   I don't have a volume control on my hearing aids as its all automatic, though I can adjust it through a mobile phone app.  

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Thanks I was hoping it was something where you can use headphones, but the other person can still listen to the TV at normal level.   I have headphones, but cannot use them as OH cannot hear the TV as headphone cuts off the sound.   Maybe a RCA adapter for the headphones?

Something like this

https://www. amazon. co. uk/M-Audio-Bass-Traveller-Ultra-Portable-Dual-Output/dp/B00X67G77O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523614479&sr=8-3&keywords=headphone+amplifier

Plugged into the back of the TV (Phono Out) will work as it wont cut the Speakers on the TV

On 4/12/2018 at 07:06, Borussia 1900 said:

I experienced it once on a site in Holland (although the noisy beggars were German), they came back to their caravan around midnight (leathered) and decided to have a party, over the next few hours I heard several fellow campers try and reason with them to turn their music off and go to bed, all to no avail. By 02:00 I'd had enough, got up, went over, unplugged their EHU and politely informed them that if they carried on I'd be out with my baseball bat and would start smashing their faces in, job done :)

That reminds me of a time when we I've on Bristol - non caravan related - but I was working on the Second Severn crossing at the time & as we worked with the tides we had a 4am start which meant getting up at 3am having finished a shift at 9pm the previous day. Anyway I lived opposite a couple of student houses & this being a Tuesday it was obviously party night. Twice I'd asked them to turn it down & go back inside, which they had for  short while, but both times had returned outside with music going up again. By this time it was about 1am. I got a pair of pliers out & went across the road straight through the open front door pulled the plug for the stereo out of the wall &  cut the plug off. I also took the lead out of the smaller radio cassette unit that was in the hall. Then I left without saying a word. They didn't bother to protest & the party seemed to end. The following day when I got home from work mid afternoon I knocked on the door and when a youngish lad answered he thought I was going to have a go as he tried shutting the door but I told him I was there to repatriate his plugs, so he let me in & I got an apology while rewiring his plug. They were a little more considerate after that.  

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I worked with a chap, quite a nice chap and good for a laugh.  He told me a story of being on holiday in self catering. He went upstairs to the nest apartment to ask the people to make less noise.

i don't think there was an argument but when the door was shut he heard he woman inside ask the man who was at the door. He replied the pratt from down stairs.   A while later the noise was up again and th bloke i worked with whent back up stairs to again ask them to make less noise.   As the door was opened by the same bloke he went flying back along the hallway on his butt.   The guy i worked with had hit him!

macafee2

9 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Wow what rattled your cage?

i considered 2am with loads of noise to be unreasonable, frankly I don’t care if you think 2am is a reasonable time, I would wager most people would find it unacceptable.

Normal volume levels of conversation seem to increase as the night goes on and proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. Following their total lack of consideration at their ‘normal’ times and levels I find my consideration for them is just the same as theirs for me the next morning. My normal was adopted but only because there was no one else to disturb.

Whilst there was some satisfaction in disturbing their slumber, I do enjoy my music at perhaps higher volume levels and my caravan does have the system installed to do a really good job when I wish to do so. I also use Bose Bluetooth headsets at night I’d watching TV so I don’t annoy the neighbours (my normal not to annoy)

You reap what you sow

This Part (They probably slam their doors 3 or 4 times and whistle enroute to annoy you in retaliation for you annoying them the night before.) Plus I said that 11 pm wasn't late not 2am please base your rants on what I say not what you think I said. I did however say that doing something just to  annoying someone is abnormal.

When you want to play nasty, be careful you don't meet somebody who actually is!