Iboost WiFi

Hi guys can anyone tell me if it’s possable to change the user name on the iboost  thanks all 

37 minutes ago, den123 said:

Hi guys can anyone tell me if it’s possable to change the user name on the iboost  thanks all 

Den, if you open the admin pages, then click system tab, there is a box called administrator name.

click the small blue key symbol next to it and you can then enter the old password, then new password twice and save with a new admin name.

Les

8 hours ago, den123 said:

7 hours ago, staffordshirechina said:

Den, if you open the admin pages, then click system tab, there is a box called administrator name.

click the small blue key symbol next to it and you can then enter the old password, then new password twice and save with a new admin name.

Les

Whilst I make no claim to be an expert in WiFi I think you might be interested in reading this.   It is the response I received from Adam at iBoost regarding  changing Admin Name.   Perhaps User Name is a different thing.  

I had been told my iBoost was stopping others getting a signal on a site in France so had enquired about becoming anonymous!    This may well be completely different from the question you ask but just adding it to the mix in case it helps anyone.  

"Changing the 'admin password' wouldn't have any effect on the campsites ability to detect you are using an iBoost.

It will be done in one of two ways;

1.) When your system connects to the network, it will identify itself as an iBoost - in the same way your iPad will identify itself as an iPad. We can provide a patch for this if necessary.

2.) Your SSID is broadcasted as iBoost, but the campsite will be using the method above to identify you. At this time it is not possible for a user to change their SSID and password, but we hope to release a windows based application shortly to make this change.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Adam 

Motorhome WiFi"

Looks like a "Windows" based app will soon be out.     Wondering if I now should ask for the "patch"  What do you think? (My underlining)

I have to say I had never considered a site identifying  my use of the IBoost.   If other sites are getting wise/jumpy about it then maybe connecting incognito is a good thing.   I can't see using it "steals" the bandwidth from other campers - or am I mistaken about this? 

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Yes it does use some of the available bandwidth.

There is only so much capacity on the site network and it will be limited to the actual connection speed supplied to the site.  In rural arears this could be less than 2mbit/s. The more people that are logged on and using it the less bandwidth there is available as it's shared between all the users.

Those that stream videos, Youtube or download large files can bring the network to a grinding halt for others or inhibit others from even logging in. IMO it's selfish to try and stream stuff especially on a free network. Trying to hide yourself is even worse.

That's why many sites will restrict the available speed or amount of data they can download to give everyone a bit of a chance.

17 hours ago, matelodave said:

Yes it does use some of the available bandwidth.

There is only so much capacity on the site network and it will be limited to the actual connection speed supplied to the site.  In rural arears this could be less than 2mbit/s. The more people that are logged on and using it the less bandwidth there is available as it's shared between all the users.

Those that stream videos, Youtube or download large files can bring the network to a grinding halt for others or inhibit others from even logging in. IMO it's selfish to try and stream stuff especially on a free network. Trying to hide yourself is even worse.

That's why many sites will restrict the available speed or amount of data they can download to give everyone a bit of a chance.

Of course any connection uses bandwidth.   The iBoost uses no more than any other connection when used by one person does it?  If a whole family are on then that's quite a different matter as in  much the same way a family sitting around a reception hot zone  will take proportionally the same bandwidth! 

On some sites it's possible to pick up a signal way beyond the "zone" around reception.   Using my iBoost is a convenience but uses no more bandwidth than any other person sitting in the "zone" does it? 

Some sites limit access to one person visa a password.   Again if I can access the signal from my plot what am I doing that harms any other person? 

I don't stream video - perhaps some do.   I don't think streaming is confined to iBoost users is it? 

Why is "trying to hide myself even worse" than streaming videos??    I'm not sure what you are getting at?  What do I do that is unsocial and selfish?  

The only reason I would prefer to be hidden is that a site owner might jump to the same conclusion that you seem to infer - iBoost users are irresponsible and selfish.   I assure you I'm neither.  

I wasn't trying to imply that the use of an iBoost or any other router which produces a hotspot to share a single wifi log-in is dishonest, reprehensible or downright selfish. I use the Solwise equivalent when I'm on site which allows both myself and my wife to check our e-mails, download kindle books or check website for stuff both at the same time. We dont stream or watch Youtube stuff though.  

Your kit is identifiable to the network by it's IP and Mac addresses so changing your hotspot name wont make yours secret although if you dont want others around you to see that you've got one, most routers can be configured to not broadcast their SSID name. You'll have to log-in manually as your computer/tablet wont "see" it if the SSID broadcast is turned off.

Bandwidth is probably the wrong word as the network has a finite speed, or in some cases capacity.

What  you use is directly related to the amount of traffic you are downloading, so if you dont dont load anything then you dont use any and if you are trying to download a large file then the speed will dictate how long it will take. However if there are others trying to do the same then you'll all get impacted by the amount of traffic the network will handle and it might slow down, stop or even prevent others logging in. It's a bit like a motorway, the more traffic on it the slower it gets until it grinds to a halt and it also makes it much more difficult for others to join at junctions.

Some site networks may limit the amount of traffic you can download, others may throttle the speed and yet others may just limit the number of users that are on at any one time or even limit the amount of time a user is logged in.   Some charge by the amount of data you download.

Edited by matelodave

I think maybe we are at cross purposes?

What was asked was about changing the admin name and password.  

That is the one that you see in your browser when you are setting up which wifi to go for

It is set by default to mhw for both.  

So could somebody be outside your van and log on using the generic login?

I doubt it would happen but I have changed mine anyway.  

As regards the name of the router that other folks 'see' when they search for wifi sources, you can change that too.

Ours is just our family name so it could easily be a mobile virtual wifi, not an iBoost perhaps?

Edited by staffordshirechina
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, staffordshirechina said:

I think maybe we are at cross purposes?

What was asked was about changing the admin name and password.  

That is the one that you see in your browser when you are setting up which wifi to go for

It is set by default to mhw for both.  

So could somebody be outside your van and log on using the generic login?

I doubt it would happen but I have changed mine anyway.  

As regards the name of the router that other folks 'see' when they search for wifi sources, you can change that too.

Ours is just our family name so it could easily be a mobile virtual wifi, not an iBoost perhaps?

Makes sense.   Thanks for that.  

The problem with Boosters like iBoost is that they broadcast at the same frequency as most Campsite WiFi systems and often at maximum power.

This can have the effect of overpowering the Site WiFi for those not using Boosters, hence so many complaints to the provider about poor or lost signal.

The fact that Boosters allow multi logins shouldn't be a huge problem unless the users are downloading large files or streaming TV, but the provider can spot that and throttle them back or even disconnect. Most systems have a download limit anyway!

So the more Boosters per campsite, the bigger the problem becomes for everyone including the provider!

My provider here Broadcasts @ 3. 5ghz which is licensed so cannot be used by boosters or any other provider.

The Campsite provider here broadcasts @2. 4ghz and @5. 0ghz. You can get a 5. 0ghz antenna to receive the signal into your router, but fortunately not many people know that,;) so one gets an uninterrupted signal, no matter how many boosters are around you:lol:

B)

21 hours ago, John_b_45 said:

Of course any connection uses bandwidth.   The iBoost uses no more than any other connection when used by one person does it?  If a whole family are on then that's quite a different matter as in  much the same way a family sitting around a reception hot zone  will take proportionally the same bandwidth! 

On some sites it's possible to pick up a signal way beyond the "zone" around reception.   Using my iBoost is a convenience but uses no more bandwidth than any other person sitting in the "zone" does it? 

Some sites limit access to one person visa a password.   Again if I can access the signal from my plot what am I doing that harms any other person? 

I don't stream video - perhaps some do.   I don't think streaming is confined to iBoost users is it? 

Why is "trying to hide myself even worse" than streaming videos??    I'm not sure what you are getting at?  What do I do that is unsocial and selfish?  

The only reason I would prefer to be hidden is that a site owner might jump to the same conclusion that you seem to infer - iBoost users are irresponsible and selfish.   I assure you I'm neither.  

Any idea whether IBoost would be of any benefit if using my Android Phone for signal, possibly tethered by usb or bluetooth. ..just curious Thanks

The iBoost and similar stuff  are WiFi routers which produce a localised hot-spot so that several other computers can use a single log-in to a site WiFi or similar. They usually have a higher gain antenna, remote from the the router, so it can be placed in a more favourouble position, outside and higher up. My Solwise unit has the option of plugging in a 3G dongle instead of the WiFi antenna to make it work like a MiFi unit

It will not assist with a normal mobile signal. It's not easy to boost mobile signals to either an Android or any other mobile phone. There are 3g or 4G MiFi units which provide a WiFi hotspot like the iBoost etc but use a sim card and connect to the mobile network - some can have an external antenna to improve their signal. You can also set up a mobile phone as a hotspot to enable other stuff to use the WiFi network, like Kindles or tablets which dont have a sim card.

Several of the Mobile operators do now allow you to make phone calls over the WiFi network (see 3-in-touch) which may give you phone access if you can only get a WiFi connection. I've done it in a couple of places where there's been no mobile signal but the site has had a WiFI network.

You really need to tell us what you are trying to do if you want a bit of help

Edited by matelodave

2 hours ago, GT Mariner said:

The problem with Boosters like iBoost is that they broadcast at the same frequency as most Campsite WiFi systems and often at maximum power.

This can have the effect of overpowering the Site WiFi for those not using Boosters, hence so many complaints to the provider about poor or lost signal.

The fact that Boosters allow multi logins shouldn't be a huge problem unless the users are downloading large files or streaming TV, but the provider can spot that and throttle them back or even disconnect. Most systems have a download limit anyway!

So the more Boosters per campsite, the bigger the problem becomes for everyone including the provider!

My provider here Broadcasts @ 3. 5ghz which is licensed so cannot be used by boosters or any other provider.

The Campsite provider here broadcasts @2. 4ghz and @5. 0ghz. You can get a 5. 0ghz antenna to receive the signal into your router, but fortunately not many people know that,;) so one gets an uninterrupted signal, no matter how many boosters are around you:lol:

Ah  I didn't know this.

So you are saying that if I use my iBoost I will be restricting WiFi access to other campers?  

I have no idea why my IBoost by broadcasting at full power - presuming it does- and the frequency it may use, caused problems with most camp sites.   

(The French site mentioned had complaints from people in a distant area of the site which had it's own WiFi thingy on the toilet block roof.     I was within 100 meters of the one I was using and there were no complaints from around me).

Seems this whole business is a minefield.

Whilst there have been times when I have found a Fon both here and abroad I must say most connections have been to a site system.   Are you telling me that by using an iBoost I am indeed creating problems for the rest of the camp site?   That's a serious issue if it's the case and should be publicised widely.  

So - definitive answer please.

Is using iBoost an anti-social act that can, and in fact does, limit the effectiveness of WiFi for non iBoost users? 

I use a mobile phone app called WiFi Analyser which tells me what about and which channels they are operating on and enable me to identify the clearest.  I can then tweak my Solwise (similar to the Alpha) router so that it works on the clearer or unused channels rather than swamping others in the close vicinity. I guess that the iBoost router can do the same, you've probalbly got to have a look in the wifi set-up menu

8 hours ago, John_b_45 said:

Ah  I didn't know this.

So you are saying that if I use my iBoost I will be restricting WiFi access to other campers?  

I have no idea why my IBoost by broadcasting at full power - presuming it does- and the frequency it may use, caused problems with most camp sites.   

(The French site mentioned had complaints from people in a distant area of the site which had it's own WiFi thingy on the toilet block roof.     I was within 100 meters of the one I was using and there were no complaints from around me).

Seems this whole business is a minefield.

Whilst there have been times when I have found a Fon both here and abroad I must say most connections have been to a site system.   Are you telling me that by using an iBoost I am indeed creating problems for the rest of the camp site?   That's a serious issue if it's the case and should be publicised widely.  

So - definitive answer please.

Is using iBoost an anti-social act that can, and in fact does, limit the effectiveness of WiFi for non iBoost users? 

I suppose in a way it could be seen as anti-social to use something like an iBoost, the problem however is the router transmission, rather than the sharing of a single connection.

Most campsite WiFi will only accept one user connection and the iBoost etc. gets around this by using a Router and a powered Antenna to detect the signal and re-transmit it.

I don't think that changing  transmission channels within the Router makes a huge difference, as it is still broadcasting within the 2. 4ghz range, and the channels are just 5mhz apart, though if you can find a little used channel, it may improve your own WiFi reception, from your own Router but you are usually so close, that it won't make much difference.

It really is the interference, that these personal Routers cause, that creates most of the problems for all users and maybe why some campsites are trying to stop customers using them.

So the answer to your question is, that if lots of people are transmitting close together, like a campsite for example, then it will limit the effectiveness of the Campsite WiFi, for all.

As many Routers can also broadcast in the 5ghz band, maybe, if all iBoost users switched to to 5ghz it might solve some of the problems. :D 

Be aware however if you are going to try to band switch, make sure that your PC, Laptop, Pad or Phone will accept a 5ghz signal, as some will not! :( 

Edited by GT Mariner

B)

44 minutes ago, staffordshirechina said:

OK, so how come all the ordinary routers in, say, a row of terraced houses doesn't cause a similar issue?

Well actually they do, but as they are usually transmitting through brick walls,  the interference is minimised, but still there!  This interference is affecting only  your Router signal not your providers signal, as that is mostly via cable, or in the event of 3G/4G on a different frequency!

B)

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/04/2018 at 11:11, John_b_45 said:

Whilst I do agree with @GT Mariner in that the more wifi signals exist the more 'congested' the airwaves become, I doubt very much a single iBoost repeater would have any significant impact when you consider all the MiFi devices, personal smartphone hotspots, laptops and the growing number of IoT devices out there. The 2. 4GHz WiFi band has 11 different channels and most devices will auto-select the best one (i. e. least congested) and even when sharing a channel, WiFi protocols are designed with sharing that channel effectively in mind.

I would argue that using such a device these days is NOT an anti-social act.