Sign in to follow this  
Malc Edge

Any body got a drone ?

I was thinking of getting a drone with a camera, anyone on here got one ?

Yep, I've got one. it's fine if the weather is calm and you've got plenty of space to fly it.  

Unfortunately our garden isn't quite big enough and we've got overhead power 10kv cables at the back so I can't really use it at home. We have fields at the back but i guess the farmer would take a dim view of me trampling his crops to go and retrieve it. Added to that we are out in Fenland and there are hundreds of drainage ditches and dyke so there's a significant danger of landing in a ditch or on the otherside of one, making it very difficult to retreive. It's not very controllable when there's a bit of a breeze.

I have to take it to the park where you've got to be very careful when there are people about, especially those who are intrigued and want to chase it around. I'd also be a bit annoyed if someone started playing around with one near my car or caravan

If you can find a big enough space where you aren't going to hurt anyone then they can be a bit of fun but on the whole, I wouldn't get another one

Edited by matelodave

I have   -  it's called the other half, and it goes on and on and on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is obviously a lot of adverse publicity around irresponsible operation of drones, some is malicious and some is done out of not understanding the rules around their use.   You may wish to take a look here http://dronesafe. uk/drone-code/ for some helpful information about what you can and can't do with drones.   There is a lot of fun to be had flying drones.

Edited by jetA1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

I was thinking of getting a drone with a camera, anyone on here got one ?

I train and test people on behalf of the CAA for the commercial operation of drones. As to which one, stick with DJI products and you wont go far wrong although some of the newer Yuneec drones are pretty good too. If you want something easy to carry the Mavic will fit in your pocket, video's in 4k and has excellent still camera. If you dont need the pocket sized stuff Phantom 4 is excellent, if you need to come down in price a used Phantom 3 is readily available, they all fly the same - easy!

You would need to have a look at the drone code from the CAA but in simple terms

Not within 50m of a person, building or structure not under your control (30m for landing and take off)

Not above 400' (122m)

No further away than 500 m

Not within 150m of a congested area (housing estates, towns, citys etc)

Not near airports and controlled airspace

PM me if you'd like to talk it through, if you head up North come and have a go (Im in Bournemouth 24 - 26 presenting a course, again youre welcome to come and have a go.

AJG

hi yes I have a drone. after a lot of looking around I went for the dji phantom 3, wow what a great bit of kit camera quality is amazing and its so easy to fly, auto take of and landings, return to home, circle points of interest just a few of the great things it can do, as well as altitude hold and gps. great bit of kit, martin

Thank all will get one this summer

As a matter of interest is 3rd party insurance mandatory?  

(Mind you car insurance is supposed to be mandatory!) 

11 minutes ago, John_b_45 said:

If you're not doing commercial operations then no it isn't. If you want good inexpensive insurance for hobbyist use join the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) circa £32 per year and covers you for all flying liabilities upto £25m per claim.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, John_b_45 said:

No, but obviously is highly recommended, best route for insurance for recreational model flying is to join the British Model Flying Association (BMFA) where membership includes third party cover, currently adult membership is £34 per year and the 3rd party insurance  cover is £25million.   

• Like 1

dont think it's mandatory, but jut think how huch you might end up paying out if someone did get injured or something gets damaged.

• Like 1

I also have a DJI (Phantom 3 Pro) fantastic bit of kit, as previously said easy to fly, good camera and loads of fun, you will be surprised at the quality of video/photo's you can achieve

Yup DJI Phantom 3 bought it for our upcoming jaunt on the Caledonian Canal-again.

The crew hope it ends up in Loch Ness!

Last year it was blowing force 4 gusting 5-6 in Loch Ness so a bit of a challenge for drone flying.

I agree DJI stuff looks well put together been flying RC fixed wing and helis for decades so do not envisage many problems apart from the drone being white in colour and pretty small even on the ground.

I am insured through the Scottish Aeromodelling Association which is included with membership.

If you are thinking of buying a drone and its a DJI one, then have a look at :-

https://phantompilots. com/

There are aerial videos and lots of advice from friendly people.

When you do get a drone then I hope the following helps you.

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e. g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £35 at the time of writing.

If you want to find UK drone fliers near you :-

https://www. fpvuk. org/local-clubs/

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom.

The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

I also attach a pdf file of the drone code.

dronecode PDF. pdf

Good luck

Edited by BOAC
link edit

All good advice from BOAC you should also consider the Mavic too, a very compact drone, easy to transport and has a stunning camera.

there are a lot of Facebook groups for drone pilots.

• Like 1

Lots of You Tube videos of the many ways for your drone to crash including gently descending into water!

All very instructive for me.

I am glad I have watched them BEFORE flying mine especially on the topic of calibration before flying.

Flying near trees appears to attract flyers with the inevitable expensive crash.

Before buying one you may want to look at the legislation coming soon on using drones (which by the way is any unmanned flying vehicle be it a plane, helicopter or multirotor). It will be enforceable. It may well include registration of a drone and some basic competency test.  

On 05/05/2018 at 13:54, ancell said:

Flying near trees appears to attract flyers with the inevitable expensive crash.

Mr Ancell, 

How mistaken you are. This is known as an Ent strike and the pilot is NOT at fault.  :D

32 minutes ago, thebriars said:

It will be enforceable.  

Out of curiosity, I wonder how? 

Im a CAA approved drone trainer, I train and test people for commercial operation of drones, they get 'Permission for Commercial Operation' AKA a drone licence (there's no such thing as a drone licence in the UK). I have on several occasions tried to help and advise people where they're going wrong either by email if they've posted a video or in person if I see them. There was a guy in Lincoln posted a video 'from tank to cathedral' he flew a Phantom 2 nearly 2 miles, over the centre of Lincoln, way above 400'. I suggested he should take it down, 36 hrs later the police published his picture (taken from his video), his equipment confiscated and he received a caution, I use his video in my classes, the soundtrack is quite good! 

More recently a video shot at a primary school used on their website, all highly illegal. I wrote to them, explained the law, the danger they had exposed their students to. I received a phone call from an irate headteacher accusing me of threatening him. I told him not a problem for me, just wait for the knock at the door. If you want to see it, its here on the front page http://www. hawksworthceprimary. org/

The laws are changing, the drone code is up for it's second reading February 2019 so a while to go yet, I'm not convinced it will be retrospective and i don't think any mandatory training will be properly done i. e. I think it will be a simple online test which is a shame in so many ways

Mr Ancell, 

How mistaken you are. This is known as an Ent strike and the pilot is NOT at fault.  :D

Out of curiosity, I wonder how? 

I see on You Tube many many videos of flights way above 400 feet and at the opposite end flights dancing just above water until the £1000 drone hits the H2O.

I suppose most pilots are teenagers whose drones were provided by their parents hence the lack of concern about trashing an expensive bit of kit.

Experience of decades flying RC fixed wing and heli s has taught me that a white drone less than 50 cms across is going to vanish into the white sky in seconds if concentration is relaxed for a nano second-but-perhaps I am wrong?

My flying is carried out on an RAF base restricted to a 100 metre cube-it concentrates the mind.

Drone flying is banned on the base as its runway is active most of the time so I will have to drone elsewhere.

It looks fairly certain in the UK that the govt will restrict drones by weight and at present are accepting a voluntary code of practice.

Of course this could change within 24 hours if a drone battery takes out a passenger helicopter or civilian airliner engine!

• Like 1

Hi Ancell,

If you are wondering what an entstrike is, see :-

There are many in Shropshire but I have managed to avoid them :D

been married to one for 51 years   😉

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this