Hi all, we have a family birthday bash in Turnberry over one weekend next month, and we’re thinking of making a few days of it by taking the van up.

We’d probably stay at a club site, so we’re looking for opinions about Ayr Craigie Gardens (CMC), The Ranch in Maybole (CMC) and Culzean Castle (C&CC).

All advice welcomed, thanks John.

I can recommend Redgates Maidens,  we’ve spent the last five Easter weekends there plus a few breaks at other times.  Site access is very good and pitches are concrete plinths so nice and clean, they’re also fully serviced.  Toilet block and facilities are kept spotless.

Redgates is just a few miles further on from The Ranch, I’ve stayed on both and there’s no comparison. The site is practically within walking distance to Turnberry, we walked all the way last Saturday. The Lighthouse which Donald Trump restored has a lovely coffee shop overlooking Alisa Craig, Arran and The Mull of Kintyre ( on a clear day)

We looked into Culzean once but not really impressed as all the pitches with nice views were taken up with what appeared to be seasonal vans.

In Maidens itself there’s a nice restaurant I can recommend called  Windings and again if feeling like walking you can access Culzean Castle from the beach and avoid an expensive entry fee.

If you decide to book call Alison on 01655 331344

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

I have stayed at both Culzean and The Ranch, very clean and very good toilet blocks, well maintained grounds, good staff on both, I cannot find anything to fault them really.

The ranch has a small swimming pool and sauna and water and electricity on all pitches I think.

Culzean -the pitch I was on had electricity only, not sure about the others, you can walk into Culzean castle via a path from the site.

Sorry, cannot comment on the other two.

I'd choose the Culzean Castle site if you are going to Turnberry.    Apart from the fact that it's a very convenient site as you are close to Turnberry,  the grounds of the castle, the interesting gardens and best of all the Castle it'self make for an interesting stay.  

Edited by bessacarr425

But how would they manage to tow their caravan up the "Electric Brae" ?????   LOL

I would avoid the “Electric Brae” if towing,  the current will fry your microwave and melt your breakaway, not to mention the Haggis that lurk down at the bottom, or was that the top.  :beardy:

Seriously, Yes this phenomenon is well worth a visit and is just a few minutes drive from all three sites.

Forgot to mention Craigie Gardens. I’ve never stayed there as it’s only five miles from home but it’s well located to all the facilities in Ayr and the drive to Turnberry is less than 1/2 an hour.

Whatever site you choose I do hope you enjoy your visit to Sunny Ayrshire.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Thanks for the replies so far.

As said, the intention is to stay at one of the club sites I mentioned, and we seem to be dithering between Craigie Gardens for the convenience to Ayr,  and Culzean for an easy trip into Turnberry (when I say 'we' I mean 'she' !).

I did actually visit the Electric Brae many years ago, and if I'd had to pay to go there I'd have been demanding a full return of my money, plus compensation … it's a swizz!

John

The Craigie Gardens site is very cconvenient bu is close to the racecourse so check your dates against the race days as traffic can be very heavy around there if the races are on.  :( I always avoid shopping at the nearby Tesco on those dates!

Joy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the advice - SWMBO decided on Culzean.

Just looking at the route - the  advice is to come from Gretna, via Dumfries, Cumnock, the outskirts of Ayr, and Maybole … is that an easy route, anything to look out for?

John

I would go for Cragie Gardens personally.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

22 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Thanks for all the advice - SWMBO decided on Culzean.

Just looking at the route - the  advice is to come from Gretna, via Dumfries, Cumnock, the outskirts of Ayr, and Maybole … is that an easy route, anything to look out for?

John

Hi Johnaldo,

The route you refer to is shorter in distance, I prefer taking the easier driving route via Glasgow and then the  A77, fuel wise it will probably be eachy-peachy, but less stress.

Scenery wise there is not a lot to commend the Dumfries-Cumnock-Ayr route (regrettably).

4 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

The route you refer to is shorter in distance, I prefer taking the easier driving route via Glasgow and then the  A77, fuel wise it will probably be eachy-peachy, but less stress.

S&S, it's nigh on 50 miles longer via Glasgow  😲

John

9 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

S&S, it's nigh on 50 miles longer via Glasgow  😲

John

Hi Johnaldo,

The route you propose has lots of bends, plenty of steep climbs and passes through many small towns\hamlets.

I agree the extra 50 miles is a lot, but you won't be up and down the gearbox so much, hence my comment on the fuel comparison.

And depending on the traffic\time of day, there may not be a lot in it time-wise.

Whichever you choose, have a great trip and enjoy.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in the end I drove over to Culzean Castle via Dumfries, Cumnock and Ayr, but then returned via the motorways and Glasgow.

Suffice to say, I'll stick to the cross country route if we go again. Going all that way north when we needed to be going south added 45 miles onto the journey, ie at least ¾ hour which I don't think we got back time-wise, and probably not fuel-wise either as the cross country route wasn't as hilly and bendy as expected. (But you're right, Sea&Sand, it was rather unexciting scenery).

Regards choice of site, Culzean Castle C&CC was ideal, and with a sea-view pitch and glorious weather we had a great stay.

Thanks for all the advice, John.

Well, in the end I drove over to Culzean Castle via Dumfries, Cumnock and Ayr, but then returned via the motorways and Glasgow.

Suffice to say, I'll stick to the cross country route if we go again. Going all that way north when we needed to be going south added 45 miles onto the journey, ie at least ¾ hour which I don't think we got back time-wise, and probably not fuel-wise either as the cross country route wasn't as hilly and bendy as expected. (But you're right, Sea&Sand, it was rather unexciting scenery).

Regards choice of site, Culzean Castle C&CC was ideal, and with a sea-view pitch and glorious weather we had a great stay.

Thanks for all the advice, John.

Thanks for the appraisal Johnaldo, and the fact that you did the journey  using both options is enlightening, I guess I will have a rethink for future trips, thanks for the update and for the information you gleaned.

Sorry I gave you a wrong steer on the route, happy to be corrected 😊.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the appraisal Johnaldo, and the fact that you did the journey  using both options is enlightening, I guess I will have a rethink for future trips, thanks for the update and for the information you gleaned.

Sorry I gave you a wrong steer on the route, happy to be corrected 😊.

Cheers,

John

No probs S&S, always willing to give something a try once … at least I can say I've visited Glasgow now 😊.

John