Sign in to follow this  
McSmithy

Whale pump leaking into van

Hi,

Discovered a leak from the cube-like box inside my (Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 2017) caravan. This box looks like the internal 'socket' for the external pump/tube/connector. See photo.  

And it seems that where the blue face meets the white 'box', drips of water emerge at the bottom and drop onto the floor beneath. In the photo, the bottom left electric connector seems to get wet. I can't be sure *exactly* where the water is coming out of this 'box'.....but all suggested solutions welcome. The van is less than one year old and not the first problem.  

Thanks.  

Su 

20180402_213323.jpg

That "box" is a combined pressure switch and inlet socket. If it leaks it needs to be replaced. Not a particularly difficult job if you are reasonably competent at DIY, but it is covered by warranty. However, before going any further give all three connections into the "T" piece a gentle tug to make sure that they have seated correctly and not been knocked loose.

As Stevan says it needs replacing but I'm surprised at the failure given its age.

You can get a service kit which consists mostly of a rubber diaphragm, but the general consensus is to replace rather than repair.

I replaced mine in 2017 at 8 years old and I chose a white one but should have ordered ivory :blink:

You definitely need to check that the three electrical connections are secure after replacement.

https://www. thecaravanshop. co. uk/waterpumps/accessories/sockets-dampers/whale-socket-es1001-es5001/prod_238. html

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

The service kit mainly comprises the rubbery inside bits and will not cure a leak in the casing.

Many thanks! I'll pursue a replacement.  

Could it be frost damage that has cracked the housing? 

I've had a similar problem. The blue plate on the back of the housing isn't sealed (a design fault imho)

If water leaks past the 'O' rings on the connector it pours straight into the van.

Greasing the 'O' rings helped (I used Vaseline - the only thing to hand!)

Try unplugging the pump and squirting a hose at the socket. If your problem is the same as mine you should create quite a puddle inside your van. ..

I'll fix mine with some silicone when I get a moment.

Ian

Friend of mine with an Elddis had exactly the same problem. Tried various fixes with advice from Whale but eventually got the part replaced by the dealer under the warranty.

John M

My van is an Elddis too but I think it's a Whale problem. A blob of silicone at point of manufacture would have saved me & OP a lot of head scratching. ..

Ian