Sign in to follow this  
middyuk

Awning rail height

Hi guys 

I am looking to buy a new air awning for my Abbey gts 416 vogue. All the awnings I see state awning height of between 230- 255cm. My handbook gives the total size of the awning needed but not the rail height. The height of the caravan is 270cm. Can anyone help? 

Cheers

Middyuk 

THe height of the caravan in the hand book usually includes the skylights and any aerials or flues poking out the top of the van. The height you need for your awning is from the road to the awning rail which is usually around 20-30cm less.

You really need to go and measure it unless someone has a similar van and has already done it although I'm guessing that 230-255cm covers most vans

Welcome to Caravan Talk.

I have measured my Sterling Eccles (Swift Group as were Abbey) at about 2400mm, except at the front where the "aerodynamic roof profile" drops away. If yours drops away I would check the width of an awning against the length of your caravan to make sure you are not out of tolerance at the front. I have seen people with a 2 berth caravan return an Isabella Magnum porch awning because the available height at the front was insufficient.

A good idea to quote the size of awning you want to fit as well as the caravan model.

John.  

The handbook height of  2. 75m height includes the tv aerial (presumably a status flying saucer with its conical point fitted) so the air awning described will almost certainly fit his caravan.  

Abbey Vogue Handbook - see page 9

Edited by happynomad
Wrong image shown - changed to a link to handbook

thanks everyone that's really helpful i hadn't thought about the height including the arials as well - I want a 390 awning to replace my old sunncamp 260! I'll get out and measure from the road

1 hour ago, middyuk said:

I'll get out and measure from the road

Also measure the length of the straight part of the awning rail.  

13 hours ago, middyuk said:

thanks everyone that's really helpful i hadn't thought about the height including the arials as well - I want a 390 awning to replace my old sunncamp 260! I'll get out and measure from the road

I've just looked at pictures of a 416 and would say you are about the same size and profile as my Sterling Eccles Onyx. A 390 size awning should be fine, although it may be close to overlapping the front window. I have a 420 size sun canopy for my caravan and there is an overlap over the front window of about half when it is pulled through the awning rail as far as the repeater light at the rear.

John.