Sign in to follow this  
ALANB4682

Taking caravan to Jersey

We are hoping to take the caravan to jersey.   Can anyone offer advice on ferries, campsites and things to avoid doing.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Think you have to have a permit for a touring van in Jersey and check size of van too, there are restrictions due to the roads.  Lovely place to visit 😊

Check out gov. je website, lots of info on there 😊 

Thanks for that.   Jersey is on my wifes bucket list.

It’s beautiful, she’ll love it 😊 

Condit Ferries very helpful I am told.   CMC

have details of regs etc. ...believe caravan must be 2. 3 metres or less wide.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff

56 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Condit Ferries very helpful I am told.   CMC

have details of regs etc. ...believe caravan must be 2. 3 metres or less wide.

Geoff

The only size restriction mentioned is that the overall length of car and caravan must not exceed 10 metres.

Didn't know you could take a caravan there, same applies to Isle of Man.   You're ok with tents though

• Like 1

Caravans are fine in Jersey, they only have 5 camp sites, a few restrictions but nothing major 😊

All good information.   Thank you

The size and weight restrictions seem very confusing on what I have read on different sources for Jersey .

Dave

The cost of dragging the van over to jersey and ferry, plus site fees. It might be cheaper to look at some offers there is sometimes at hotels etc with travel included. Went to jersey a few times many years ago and enjoyed it there. Parking used to be restricted in certain areas for jersey registration cars only, not hire or visitors cars allowed in these places.  

We are going to do a bit of a tour before we get there.   Going to Blenhim Palace then the Mary Rose and after Jersey call at Chatsworth on the way back home

Oh that’s a bit different, thought you was just going there.  

We have been to Jersey for the last 10 years. First stopped at Rose Farm ( now closed). We now use Rozel this is on the north eastern corner of the island. You can see France from some parts of the site  The site has good showers,  internet over the whole site and a small shop on site for the basics. Condor is the only ferry to sail to Jersey  The Condor Liberation from Poole and The Condor Clipper from Portsmouth You will need a permit to tow  from the the port to the campsite and the return trip. This can be obtained from the camp site. The language is  mainly English, drive on the same side of the road as us, and use pounds and pence. Fuel can be under £1 a litre. If you check the sailing times it can be a lot faster to miss out the stop in Guernsey 

Sorry the name of the second ferry is the Commodore  Clipper. This sails from Portsmouth at 9 0 clock most mornings

Thanks again,

Rozel was at the top of my list.

Alan

A previous post here says they think the size restrictions are due to the size of the roads.  Is this definitely the case?

I ask because i'm wondering whether their permit restictions may be relaxed in the future or upon request.  We've just got ourselves, our first ever, van and it's a Avante 866, so a bit of a whopper!  Plus we use a Discovery to tow!

As far as I remember, you can't take a caravan to the Channel Islands or even the Isle of Man.  Any other campers, no problem.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

As far as I remember, you can't take a caravan to the Channel Islands or even the Isle of Man.  Any other campers, no problem.

Under very strict rules, as linked to in previous posts, Jersey is the only Channel Island where caravans are permitted and have been for many years now. Motorhomes can also be taken to Jersey and Guernsey and are also strictly regulated.

Caravans can also be taken to the Isle of Man under strict conditions and providing you are attending a listed motorcycle event. A permit, issued by the Manx Govt. Dept. of Infrastructure, is required.

https://www.visitisleofman.com/visitor-information/travel-information/bringing-your-motorhome

Edited by Legal Eagle

We looked at taking our previous caravan to Jersey in 2017. Due to its length we would have had to use the slow ferry (about 8 hours), that, and the cost, made us use a hotel instead. I can’t remember the rules on caravan sizes but small caravans can use the fast ferry, larger ones the slow ferry but there’s a length restriction on that which negates any larger caravans such as twin axles. Jersey is a lovely place BUT the roads are tight, even some of the main roads.

Considering it’s got a 40 mph speed limit there is an awful lot of big and fast cars there. Petrol used to be very cheap there.

41 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Considering it’s got a 40 mph speed limit there is an awful lot of big and fast cars there. Petrol used to be very cheap there.

And there lots of police speed traps! It’s quite amusing watching some exotic and powerful machinery being driven at 35mph! I suppose they go over to France to open them up now & again 

40 mph max speed limit even on THE dual carriageway.20 mph in St Helier A lot of the roads are 15 mph green lanes. It is cheaper to book through cc & C than Condor. Cheepest diesel  today is £1 10. We are booked to have a few days in Guernsey first this year and then get the ferry over to Jersey for another fortnight stopping at Rozel.