Sign in to follow this  
ChrisUK

13 pin cable protection

I have had excellent replys to two queries today, I'l try for a third.   My cable bends tightly into the side of the socket and already after only 2 months I can see some cracking of the outer rubber cover.    See my poor rainy day photo.   Any one come across a suitable cable strain relief?   The cable is not particularly tight but the bend is.   I could with some effort make something out of aluminium bar but perhaps someone has seen something specific for the job?  It certainly needs attention as the cable core will become stressed.

13 pin cable bend.jpg

That cable appears to be agonisingly bent at an angle it was not designed for, and you are right to be concerned. The cable entry to that type of socket is usually straight into the centre of the rear. There will be a hole in the steel plate for this purpose. it needs to be dismantled and re assembled properly.

Edited by Ern
  • Like 3

Sorry I've no idea of a purpose made bracket to meet your need, but your socket with a cable side entry is more usually found where the socket swings down as part of a detachable tow bar assembly. If you feel competent you could replace the socket with one which has a rear entry. I'm sure you would be happier with the look and you could cable-tie the cable to the tow bar for support. I wished to rewire my drop down socket and used one from Screwfix which had the option of rear or side entry.

John.

Its is definitely a side entry socket.   Looks like the socket is not appropriate.    Unfortunately the fitting was done at the dealer which is a two hour round trip, Might have to cut my losses and do it myself.   I am happy with the job, but well aware of how fiddly it will be.

It is fiddly done from scratch, but the cables have already been cut to length and the ends stripped, so some work done. Be sure to start re attaching the wires from the centre of the plug first, then the outer ones. .

38 minutes ago, chrisn7 said:

It is fiddly done from scratch, but the cables have already been cut to length and the ends stripped, so some work done. Be sure to start re attaching the wires from the centre of the plug first, then the outer ones. .

Do not forget that there is a permanent live feed in there and an earth! Care needed, preferably isolation by fuse removal.

There is always the possibility the cables may be attached to the pins by crimping, in which case you will have some cutting and stripping to do . Also make a careful note of the wire colours and pin number as you remove them. My loom is a Westfalia one and it has a colour coding which does not apply to anything I have seen in any publication, except the fitting instructions that came with the kit.

Changing the entry point will mean a new socket and grommet.

John.  

Edited by John19

I know I'm only repeating whats written above, but that looks shockingly bad for a dealer fitted item. I would expect a dealer to know better & inspect it themselves before signing off on something like that -most dealers sub out tow bar fitting to a local fitter. Even if you re- do this yourself I'd take a bunch of pictures & then get in touch with them and be asking for at least some of my money back.  

Edited by Woodie106

2 hours ago, chrisn7 said:

The cable lengths will probably need changing if they have been cut for side entry.

Another, and simpler way to fix this ‘bodge’ which may or may not work, is to bend the mounting plate through 90 degrees.  The cable would then be pointing in the right direction and the socket less conspicuous.  

Mercedes  drop down  tow bars have the socket facing 90 degrees to the norm and the work 

OK.

John

3 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

bend the mounting plate through 90 degrees

Ooooh - that is, literally, lateral thinking   👏🏻

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mickyjb said:

Ooooh - that is, literally, lateral thinking   👏🏻

Yes, but you would then have the same problem with the caravan cable.

14 minutes ago, DACS said:

Yes, but you would then have the same problem with the caravan cable.

Not necessarily, there is room to create a much shallower bend, as said, Mercedes and perhaps others do this on their drop down bars.

John

On 3/29/2018 at 21:21, JCloughie said:

Another, and simpler way to fix this ‘bodge’ which may or may not work, is to bend the mounting plate through 90 degrees.  The cable would then be pointing in the right direction and the socket less conspicuous.  

Mercedes  drop down  tow bars have the socket facing 90 degrees to the norm and the work 

OK.

John

That might be a good idea.   But as the fitting is only about 14 weeks old and never towed with, I have taken photos and will email them to the dealer to suggest that they should change it to a rear entry.   In the mean time I have done a neat job with self-amalgamating tape as a short term measure to keep this horrible rain out.

51 minutes ago, ChrisUK said:

That might be a good idea.   But as the fitting is only about 14 weeks old and never towed with, I have taken photos and will email them to the dealer to suggest that they should change it to a rear entry.   In the mean time I have done a neat job with self-amalgamating tape as a short term measure to keep this horrible rain out.

OK, I have a plan ‘B’.

It might be possible to get the fitters to fit a swivel bracket.  The side entry will then be in the correct orientation.  And, when not in use, the socket swings up behind the bumper.  That is what is on my Volvo and it works well and improves the looks at the back.

John