Sign in to follow this  
mayblossom

Black Knowl CMC site

If anyone is planning on visiting this site in the near future please be very aware of the access road which is full of huge potholes, we spent three nights at the site but by the time we were due to leave we’d had enough of the road and have cancelled a couple of stays there because of it, the warden suggested we complain as it may help get the road resurfaced. It has suffered due to the bad weather over the last few weeks but it’s quite dangerous and before long damage will be done to either car or caravan. Apparently it’s jointly owned by the club and the forestry commission . Our van is only small but still found it difficult to avoid the holes.  

I was there a week ago and agree the road condition is very disappointing. However it wouldn't stop me going back again.

I am surprised that, if it's part owned by CAMC, nothing has been done to a least make temporary repairs.

It has been like it for years

Best thing to do is to leave a review on the CMC website. The regional managers have to keep an eye on reviews. It's not the only Club site with a poor access road, Cirencester is another.

David

I have left a review David and hopefully a few more will as everyone was complaining about it, think it’s a lot worse than Cirencester though. Just wonder who will pay  if a caravan  gets badly damaged 😟 the snow has obviously taken it’s toll as it was nowhere near as bad when we stayed there in September.  

• Like 1

I agree Mayblossom it's definitely worse than Cirencester.

The road belongs to the forestry commission, they don't really want the CMC site and neither do the locals.

It was bad enough when we last visted 3 years back.

1 hour ago, Oscarmax said:

The road belongs to the forestry commission, they don't really want the CMC site and neither do the locals.

The warden told us the road is shared between the club and the forestry commission but can’t see them paying towards the upkeep 😟 looks like the club will have to fork out to repair it.  

6 hours ago, mayblossom said:

The warden told us the road is shared between the club and the forestry commission but can’t see them paying towards the upkeep 😟 looks like the club will have to fork out to repair it.  

The main section which is an appalling state of disrepair belongs to the forestry, the CMC has access rights, the forestry over the winter close the road off. Prior to last years updates, the CMC wanted to purchase the top field and land for a separate access route to the site, but the land owner refused point blank.

1 hour ago, Oscarmax said:

The main section which is an appalling state of disrepair belongs to the forestry, the CMC has access rights, the forestry over the winter close the road off. Prior to last years updates, the CMC wanted to purchase the top field and land for a separate access route to the site, but the land owner refused point blank.

So would the access road have come out on the main road where the houses are? A house and land have just been sold on the access road, Beachen farm I think. So who actually owns the land which the site is on? 

1 hour ago, mayblossom said:

So who actually owns the land which the site is on? 

I believe the Club does.

geoff

48 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

I believe the Club does.

geoff

+1

Thank you 😊

11 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

Yet I would of thought the FC must have some responsibility when they have their own Aldridge Hill site on the same approach road.

9 hours ago, borrowdale said:

Yet I would of thought the FC must have some responsibility when they have their own Aldridge Hill site on the same approach road.

Aldridge Hill is a caravan & camping club site now, used to be FC a few years ago but the club now have all the F. C. sites. We used to go many years ago and had some great times with the kids camping.  

11 hours ago, mayblossom said:

Aldridge Hill is a caravan & camping club site now, used to be FC a few years ago but the club now have all the F. C. sites. We used to go many years ago and had some great times with the kids camping.  

Yes you are correct MB I had thought it was a partnership between the two. Surely with all parties CCC CMC and FC all having a vested interest should make it easier to have this access road repaired. It was bad at least two years ago.

1 hour ago, borrowdale said:

Yes you are correct MB I had thought it was a partnership between the two. Surely with all parties CCC CMC and FC all having a vested interest should make it easier to have this access road repaired. It was bad at least two years ago.

You would have thought so ! We went to Black Knowl last September, had a few holes but nothing that bothered us but this year was just dreadful, and with all this rain will just get worse 😟 

Just resurrecting this year-old topic - does anyone know if things have improved regarding the roads into the site?

John

The reviews on ukcs are dated May and July 2018 and state the road has been improved with most of the potholes having been filled in. Loo blocks rebuilt but they needed to do that.

32 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Just resurrecting this year-old topic - does anyone know if things have improved regarding the roads into the site?

John

we went in June and September last year roads have been repaired, plus the section owned by CMC has been renewed, however as you come around the sharp right hand bend we have noticed in September the repair around the speed bump is starting to deteriorate again?